Model Cars Magazine Forum

im new to resins. where to start?

Hello, some of you have traded with me know about the models, resin,collection ive recently bought. Well im going to try my hand at building my first resin. Is there any online basic getting started info or book, magazine, tols, paints, glues, puttys, info or you tube stuff? It will be a basic wedge style dirt track car before I try anything more complicated.

Thanks! Drew C in SC.

Hey Mark

I have always soaked my resin in the purple stuff and never had a problem with it but I have only used the resin I cast in it and stuff from Bandit Resins, Kenny ( at Bandit Resins ) told me to use that when I first started casting so I have been with no issues. I have heard the horror stories about resin getting soft in it though. So I guess if I were gona use someone other than our resin parts I would try something else.

great advice everyone! Thanks and keep it coming as im soakin in all this info now!

Drew C from SC

I use exclusivley Whestlies for removing mold release . I found it will safetly strip a failed paint proceedure .

Also another warning about resins . I was contemplating the purchase of a Dehydrator . Never place a resin into a dehydrator . It will melt at a lower temputure . The pourings aren't completely a consistant thickness . Some areas will yield and succumb to the heat faster than others . Thanx ..

I use exclusivley Whestlies for removing mold release . How long is good? I found it will safetly strip a failed paint proceedure . Gonna give it a try!

Also another warning about resins . I was contemplating the purchase of a Dehydrator . Never place a resin into a dehydrator . It will melt at a lower temputure . The pourings aren't completely a consistant thickness . Some areas will yield and succumb to the heat faster than others . Thanx ..

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, some of you have traded with me know about the models, resin,collection ive recently bought. Well im going to try my hand at building my first resin. Is there any online basic getting started info or book, magazine, tols, paints, glues, puttys, info or you tube stuff? It will be a basic wedge style dirt track car before I try anything more complicated.

Thanks! Drew C in SC.

stay away from tkm it will give you resin trauma!!! B)

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks! Drew C in SC.