Model Cars Magazine Forum

i read on another web site how to build a disposable spray booth. i didnt want a disposable so this is what i built. to some it may look crude but it does a good job. you can build a plywood box any size. being an appliance repair technician i used parts i collected out of some junk. the glass dish is a working turntable out of a microwave. the fan is out of a range hood. the lights you could use what ever suited you. i find that i need a larger fan so i am going to get one out of a microwave. everything is wired on switches and one plug in.

spraybooth001.jpg

spraybooth002.jpg

spraybooth004.jpg

set up in unused back bedroom and vented outside for now

spraybooth005.jpg

spraybooth008.jpg

:) I like your booth. My first one I made was from info from a modeling book painting and finishing scale models It had a dayton industrial blower kinda loud lol. The booth was 3 feet by 12 inches and had plywood sides and back and a plexiglass top for light. I covered the inside of the plexiglass with clear cooking wrap so when the top got bad I just replaced the wrap. When I built mine I recieved 3 comments from a model builder friend who happens to be a fire captain He said just make sure the motor is out of the airstream and its vented properly. And can you make me one lol.

The photos aren't working for me but I had a similar plan.

I thought about making a wooden frame and line the sides with that heavy plastic you use to cover windows during the winter. Then using a fan from an old computer but if a hood fan wasn't enough I'm not sure a PC fan would work either, I'll have to give that more thought.

Guest Anthony Oteri

You guys might want to keep one thing in mind, regardless of what type of fan you use the vapor and fumes from paint is explosive. A short in the motor could cause an arc that would ignite those fumes and vapor. Ideally the motor should be as far away from the heaviest concentration of fumes as possible. Outside venting is definately the way to go. Be careful!

Anthony

You do need to be careful. Here are some pictures of mine. It is by no means the best in any way. The motor is outside of the airstream and it uses a particulate and a 1" deep carbon bed (canister in the yop). Working for a carbon filtration comapny, I had a lot of reference to look at. I can say that while the carbon removes the solvents and most fumes, it does not remove all fumes from all paints (primers and flat black being the worse). It still needs ducted outside. The water in the bucket does not work and adds pressure drop to the fan (hence fans usually have a "in w.g." or inches of water rating to measure pressure). Be careful and be safe, there are several horror stories of booths (and houses) catching fire.

100_1525.jpg

100_1526.jpg

100_1527.jpg

100_1528.jpg