Model Cars Magazine Forum

CORDVETTE!...A Modern Classic. Update: 9-16-12

Ira

Ira my friend, you have a deranged mind! And I say this with a twinkle in my eye.... I'm impressed with your imagination, and wonder how you come up with these wild ideas.... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind comments Hans! :D

I usually have basic idea of what I want.

Than I let my imagination take over and I start cutting up models.

It does't always work out the way I plan it but, its always a lot of FUN!

Remember..."It's Only Plastic"

I SHOULD hate this car. I love the Cord, not so much a fan of the Vette. Seeing the two melded together should disgust me. But you know what? I'm really liking the way this one is coming together. Even though this is a totally different design, it kind of reminds me of Joel Dirnberger's Shark, a narrowed Sting Ray Vette body on bobbed '32 Chevy fenders. (For those who don't recall that one, it's the blue machine in the lower right corner- http://www.joeld.net/home.shtm ). Maybe it's just the unexpected synergy of elements from two entirely different automotive eras working so well together. I don't know what it is, but I like it. B)

CORDVETTE TAILLIGHTS!!!

I wanted to make Vette style lights, using plastic tubing and Plastic Rhinestones.

I started by setting the tubing next to the body to judge the angle to cut.

It is about 30 degrees, so I cut 4 tubes at 30 degrees on the miter box with a razor saw.

DSCN3393C.jpg

I used an 30 degree oval template to mark the holes for the tubes, and the cut them out.

DSCN3400C.jpg

When I got the holes carved and filed smooth, I slid the tubing in and glued it in place.

DSCN3418C.jpg

Here are all 4 Taillight Tubes in place!

DSCN3411C.jpg

Oh hell yeah! I like where this is going. You're combining two of my all-time favorites here. I'm sure Cord designer Gordon Buehrig would approve of where this is going, and Sting Ray designers Bill Mitchell and Larry Shinoda would be flat-out intrigued! I'm definitely gonna follow this one, and maybe do my own take on it some time...

Thanks for the kind comments Jim! :D

Glad you like it so far!

I like it looks cool, and 4 head lights better to see you with. LOL

Thanks Dan!

I know, I was thinking about leaving the hidden headlights in the rear fenders too, maybe they could be converted to exterior cup holders or ashtrays? :):D

Edited by Ira

I SHOULD hate this car. I love the Cord, not so much a fan of the Vette. Seeing the two melded together should disgust me. But you know what? I'm really liking the way this one is coming together. Even though this is a totally different design, it kind of reminds me of Joel Dirnberger's Shark, a narrowed Sting Ray Vette body on bobbed '32 Chevy fenders. (For those who don't recall that one, it's the blue machine in the lower right corner- http://www.joeld.net/home.shtm ). Maybe it's just the unexpected synergy of elements from two entirely different automotive eras working so well together. I don't know what it is, but I like it. B)

Thanks Chuck, Glad you like it! B)

Are you still shootin for the NNL West? Regardless of its state, bring it! I wanna see it! So cool, man... B):)

BTW, a coupla pages back you mention a miter box that allows you to cut 30 degree angles on tubing. My cheapo setup only allows me to do 45 & 90 and my fine tooth Zona is too short to fit it in any case. What do you use? Anybody who attacks plastic as incessantly and with as much confidence as you do is definitely the source to ask! :D

Edited by Bernard Kron

GOT THE SCOOP!!!

I cut out the scoop from the Corvette Hood.

DSCN3425C.jpg

Then I traced the Scoop Shape on to the hood.

DSCN3423C.jpg

I cut along the lines with a Cut-Off Wheel in a Dremel Tool.

Then I filed and sanded everything smooth & straight.

DSCN3427C.jpg

Glued the Corvette Scoop in place...

DSCN3432C.jpg