Model Cars Magazine Forum

Schwinn 1950s Black Phantom

Harry P.

Another bike from my collection... this is a Danbury Mint 1/6 scale 1950s Black Phantom. Incredible detail... you really can't tell it's a model... every nut and bolt on the real bike is on the model, the spokes are scale thickness, and the seat is real leather.

phantom1_zps14a31ee6.jpg

phantom2_zps7b566c7b.jpg

phantom3_zps0a3cba94.jpg

phantom4_zps00b91cb9.jpg

They look similar, but the Xonex one has what looks like molded plastic spokes, and they're very thick. The DM bike has fine, wire spokes with separate nipples on each.

I found this image online, it's the Xonex version:

xonex-phantom_zps22e7511a.jpg

Notice the fat spokes, no tooth detail on the sprocket, rear reflector is different, seat is different, tire sidewalls are different, no white pinstriping on the frame separating the red and black areas. The DM bike looks to be a completely different (and better) piece.

heres a bike from my collection, mfg july 1950, unrestored but freshened up a decade or so ago:

b91558.jpg

I would love to have one of those Danbury mint miniatures. I have a cheap knockoff in 1/8th but its pretty crude.

edit I notice its the same as shown above, you can tell from the poorly shaped handlebars and its general clunkiness.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

the really funny thing is that I bought that 1:1 bike off the back of a pickup truck at a swap meet for 200$ back 15 years ago or so. probably about what the diecast cost? it needed some work and I replaced the seat and some details like pedals and handgrips but the lights and horn worked as did everything else. it was kinda rough but all there...actually not all that rough because I did nothing but dust it off and wipe the paint and chrome. also a few years ago a friend of mine gave me the two original lightning bolt wide white wall tires. looks pretty good for nearly 65. and it gets ridden at least 30 miles once a year on our annual GiveThanks fat tire bike cruise and drunken bar crawl and brawl. ECV everytime!

jb

• 2 weeks later...