Model Cars Magazine Forum

51 Chevy padded top...

sbk

To adjust the placement of the dash, I added a vertical .080" strip to each side of the door panel to lengthen it as well as a .060" horizontal strip to move the dash up a bit. I removed a slice along the curved section of the dash and kept sanding until the fit in the body was good. I also added filler to the top of the dash to match the curvature of the windshield opening. The dark areas on the floor & sides are just colored with a Sharpie so that the gap seen in the side window slot is dark.

51_Chevy-12-24-12-1-s.jpg

Not the best photo, but it still shows how the dash now matches the curvature of the windshield opening.

51_Chevy-12-24-12-4-s.jpg

Another view.

51_Chevy-12-24-12-3-s.jpg

Now, the dash fits a bit better in the body. Also, note the strip between the hood & beltline/windshield trim. This is totally absent on the AMT kits & will be body colored. The spots on the top are where there were pinholes in the filler & have been filled in.

51_Chevy-12-24-12-2-s.jpg

This is my attempt at an early '50's Chevy "butterfly" accessory steering wheel. I used a steering wheel rim from the AMT '50 Ford kit & scratchbuilt the rest. The rounded portion of the horn ring came from an ink pen body & the straight pieces are brass strip soldered to the round portion. The horn ring is not permanently attached at this time. I also made the steering column, shift lever & rod, as well as the turn signal switch from styrene.

steering1-s.jpg

Here is how it looks all put together. The shift lever still needs to be thinned down a bit.steering5-s.jpg

I planned on casting the steering wheel with the horn ring attached, but I think it may end up being too thin & delicate in resin. we'll see.

steering3-s.jpg

steering4-s.jpg

That steering wheel, shifter and column are things of beauty. I can't believe your level of detail. Can you give me some further info on the work you did on the windshield frame? What size of half round did you use?

Later-

That steering wheel, shifter and column are things of beauty. I can't believe your level of detail. Can you give me some further info on the work you did on the windshield frame? What size of half round did you use?

Later-

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

I modified a couple of Appleton spotlights by cutting the buckets from the stems so that they can pivot more like the 1:1. These are available from Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland.

appleton8.jpg

I drilled holes in the A pillars & mounted the spots & handles.

51_Chevy-01-08-13-2-s.jpg51_Chevy-01-08-13-4-s.jpg51_Chevy-01-08-13-5-s.jpg

Almost ready for primer.

51_Chevy-01-08-13-6-s.jpg

Steve-

Thanks for the info on the window trim. I am working on the fleetline version of this car as a fill in between other projects and wanted to remove and replace mine also. Of course I have .020 and .030 half round but don't think I have .040. Isn't that the way it always goes?

Yours is looking fantastic, as always.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr