Model Cars Magazine Forum

52 hudson question

Lanny Haas

Go to TCPGLOBAL.com, auto color library. Plug in make/year and you get color chips for factory paint. I go there to research period correct colors for stock builds. After that you can prowl the LHS or hardware store aisles for something close.

That's usually what I do. If I can't find anything close that way, your local paint shop might be able to help you. I know a few parts store chains (CarQuest and O'Reilly auto parts) can custom-mix paints and put them into a spray can for you.

Stock colors may not be a help here if he's building the Flock racer. Race teams quite often mix their own colors or use colors from elsewhere other than factory. I think Soldier blue might be a good match for the Flock colors.

Back in '52 I imagine they went with whatever was on the car, but then again Petty blue was a mix of what they had in the shop at the time :lol:

A couple people have PM'd me with this question. Nobody we talked with in our research really knows for sure what color the real car was painted. Our best guess by examining photos was that it was a light gray/blue color and we theorized it was probably raced in a factory color called "southern blue." (At least at the start of the season. It could have been painted a non factory color later in the year).

For the box art build I used Testors US navy light blue. It's an acrylic military flat and only comes in a small bottle, but it's the closest hobby paint match to the paint chip samples I had of the factory color called "Southern Blue". I had to thin it and air brush it.

The white top is really more of an ivory color. I used Tamiya racing white which is a very light ivory color. That color was shot from a spray can.

I then clear coated it all with Testors one coat gloss clear lacquer.

Edited by S. Svendsen

And just to muddy the water even more!!!!

I worked with Sean on this project and I think he has it right. BUT,and it's a big but, years ago when I lived in Charlotte the Flock family were neighbors. I was working for a company that did NASCAR items. I did some work for them getting some die cast 300's done for them to sell. Tim Flock gave me a 1/43 Hudson that they were selling at the time. Tim told me they matched the color exactly to the real car.....problem is the 1/43 model is powder blue! SO.....was Tim's memory fuzzy?? Don't think so he was sharp as a tack. Was he just saying this because they were selling the cars??? I think the truth is somewhere between. My fantasy logic is this. Car starts out as factory blue like Sean's model. After racing 3-4 times a week back in the day....almost all on short tracks....the car needs repainting....and the paint store had powder blue on hand....close to the factory color but not exact. I think I am building a powder blue car.....if only in honor of Tim and they way he remembered it.

Edited by Dave Van

The Tim Flock Hudson appears to be indeed the factory color "Southern Blue" at least at the beginning of the season. As Dave said, that could have changed during the year and local availability of paint would dictate how it evolved.

The Hudson Hornets that raced in 1952-53-54 were ordinary production cars, factory built for public sale. Hudson gave each of their racing teams (headed by crew chief Smokey Yunich) two cars ~ one to race and one to tow the race car ~ right off the assembly line.

The original two teams (in '52 and '53) were Yunich & Marshall Teague and Yunich & Herb Thomas. Tim Flock was not a Hudson team driver, and had to supply his own Hudson to race.

At that time, NASCAR racing was more like "Showroom Stock" as Smokey Yunich put it!

B)

Edited by Danno

Moebius left the seat in the Hudson because a few pics they dug up from the period showed a back set. Roll bars were never used in Hudsons but some other makes did have them. The Moebius Chrysler 300 racer kit will have the seat delete and a roll bar as by 1955 it was the norm.

Guest Johnny

Years ago I seen one in a junk year that was pink, thats what I'm thinking for a color for mine. Pink/white.

Did it have a pig hood ornament by chance???? :lol:

Edited by Johnny

• 2 weeks later...

That could be because there is a replica Flock car (1:1) around that is a very light powder blue, that car is a '48-50 Hudson and not the '52. From pics I have seen, it was pointed out to me that the car was lighter than Southern Blue but not as light as the replica car. One builder used Bali Blue a '51 hudson color and it looks like the shade it should be. Then who really knows about the old, old cars anymore!