Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Ford Galaxie 500 reissue : I added Factory Reference Material

migace

I don't know from Ford engines! (Hey, I'm a Chevy guy - cut me a little slack here!) I got this one as a glue bomb and actually made it look better than it did when I got it... NOT! It had the hood glued shut and a Hemi rattling around loose inside. I raided an AMT '66 Mustang for various bits and pieces to finish it, including the engine.

(I apologize for the lousy photos. They were shot with an ancient, first-generation digital camera, then uploaded to and downloaded from my account on Motortopia.com since I lost the originals when my old computer had a terminal meltdown a few years ago.)

70FordCustom500JuniorsHighSchoolHotRod1.jpg

70FordCustom500JuniorsHighSchoolHotRod2.jpg

70FordCustom500JuniorsHighSchoolHotRod4.jpg

:huh::blink: Fords is confusin' critters....

So, let's see if I'm following this. A police car would most likely be running a 428 still? I remember seeing 429s listed in the '71 brochure, I find it interesting they would have used the 428 still for police use, but whatever.

I think I'm just going to drop a Windsor block in this and call it done. Any suggestions for a nice, close-to-correct 302/351?

Charlie Larkin

For 1970 the inteceptor motor was still a 428SCJ variant. The 429 was available in regular Thunderjet form in non chase police vehicles. From 71 on the interceptor otor was 429 or 460 based.

On a side note, my dad had a 68 LTD with a 428 PI motor and a C6 in it. He said that car would pass everything but a gas station, the only thing around here he couldn't hang with was an L88 Vette. I imagine the extra thousand pounds of LTD had a good bit to do with that.

Edited by Fat Brian

Does anyone have a full list of AMT 2012 releases? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks.

Tower Hobbies listings seem as complete as anything I've seen....Round 2's site is out of date.

http://www3.towerhob... AdvancedSearch

This link is also in this thread, post #14

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=61760

Edited by Rob Hall

Ok , way to much info to take in, so my question is this

What kit can I get the proper engine out of for this kit?

The Revell 69 Shelby has a 428 SCJ motor in it, you could also use the 390 out of the AMT 67 Comet. The 390 and 428 shared the same block so externally look almost identical. It looks like the valve covers should be the stock stamped steel painted ones with Powered by Ford scripting and I'm not exactly sure where to find them. I'm having trouble finding any pics of the correct valve covers but check out this 67 Ford Custom 4 door to get an idea. The problem you get in to searching for Interceptor stuff is that just because a motor came out of a police car doesn't make it an Interceptor motor and most of the stuff out there is just a regular engine pulled from a cop car that people call and Interceptor but it isn't.

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/to-catch-a-muscle-car-1967-ford-police-interceptor/

Least effort for a correct engine swap would have to be the AMT/Model King '71 T-Bird- either that kit's engine or the engine block-off (if you want to glue the hood shut) literally drop right into the Galaxie chassis. Rob just mentioned the '69 Galaxie engine- that would work as well, and the '69 kit would probably be easier (and chaper) to locate than the T-Bird kit. Since the engine compartment is rather barren in this kit anyway, I usually use the block-off and glue the hood shut, though one of these days I want to go full-on and detail/correct the engine compartment and stick the Revell Torino engine in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Model Roundup sent me my weekly news letter,

Here it is:

Model Roundup Newsletter Daytona Transport Truck, 1976 Ford Econoline Van, 1970 Ford Galaxie Police Car

August 26, 2012 in this issue :: Useful Links :: Ordering Information

Dear Model Roundup Customers:

Welcome to the Model Roundup August 26th, 2012 email briefing to our select customers. We use this forum to keep you updated on new kits as they are released and other hobby related issues, which we feel, might be of interest to you. If you do not wish to receive these periodic briefings, please use the simple unsubscribe buttons below.

The new kits just keep coming! This week we have received two important new kits in our warehouse, and another significant kit is getting close. Our dual-headliners for this week are the MPC Daytona Transport Truck and the AMT 1976 Ford Econoline "Shorty" Van. We are also pleased to announce that the return of the famous AMT 1970 Ford 4-door Police Car.

359.jpg

MPC-787 Daytona Transport Truck (1:25) $23.90 (In Stock)

Breaking news! The skilled researchers working in the vintage MPC tooling vault have uncovered another exciting GEM! It's the futuristic Daytona Transport Truck, a forward-thinking design from the creative minds at MPC during the 1960s! This unusual kit predicted what "car haulers" might look like today. Its features included many "space age" design elements which were so popular in the 1960's. The kit builds into two sections: a forward cab that swivels, connected to a long, flowing, fully enclosed bed section. The canopy of the cab opens and piston arms on the swivel assembly move in an out when the cab is moved side to side. For power, the kit includes an all-chrome six-cylinder overhead cam motor set up in a front wheel drive configuration. To top things off, you can even use the finished model as a wild custom display case for any of your other built models that fit inside the "bubble-topped" transport bed!

The Transporter is a grand size for a 1/25 scale kit. So much so, we're not sure how MPC managed to stuff all those big parts into their standard box size back in the day. To make sure the parts don't get compromised, this 2012 reissue has been packaged in a slightly larger box. This extra room will also allowed MPC to include two sets of window parts! One set will be clear, the other tinted light blue, offering you an easy way to give your build a truly custom look! The kit is molded in white instead of red as it was originally. This is a huge improvement if you wish to paint your model any color other than red. The kit has lots of gleaming chrome parts, hollow black vinyl tires and colorful water-release decals.

Features

• All Chrome Six-Cylinder Overhead Cam Engine
  • Custom Interior Console
  • Custom Bucket Seats
  • Plated Foot Pedals
  • Rear Spoiler
  • Chrome Shocks
  • Two Sets of Window Parts (Clear and Light Blue)
  • Molded in white with chrome parts, realistic hollow vinyl tires and colorful water-release decals.

357.jpg

AMT-767 1976 Ford Econoline Van (2 'n 1) Stock or Custom (1:25)$21.90 (In Stock)

Ford's "New Generation" Econoline van (Stock version) was a commercial workhorse and a customizers dream. The kit features a 124 inch Wheelbase "Shorty" E-150 with Chateau trim including deluxe Captain's Chair Seats and Full Wheel Covers. The mini-hood opens to reveal a forward-placed 351 C.I.D. V-8 engine. The superdetailed chassis has a massive new frame with Twin-I-Beam front suspension.

The alternate custom building version features the latest in street/show customizing including wild "Mural" decals, front spoiler, wheel flares, custom grille, rectangular headlights, header sidemount exhausts, Keystone "Ranger" spoke wheels, super-side Goodyear Street tires. The "Phantom" variation also includes optional windows and roof vent. The kit includes three sets of custom windows in clear and smoke tent with "Gemstone", "Teardrop" and Freestyle versions.

For a brief history of the AMT 1976-1979 Ford Van kits, be sure to click thru to the web site and read the product description.

Features
    • Classic kit from the 1970s popular with customizers
    • Build stock or custom, SKILL: 2 * Paint & Cement Required
    • Stock or Custom Wheels
    • Stock or Custom Tires - One piece vinyl
    • Stock or Custom Grille
    • The body comes stock. Optional Custom windows and roof vent may be added
    • Features three sets of custom bubble windows:"gemstone," "teardrop," and "freestyle" in either clear of smoke tint (6 options)
    • Molded in white, clear and smoke-tint, with chrome-plated parts and colorful decals

358.jpg

AMT-788 1970 Ford 4-Door Police Car (2 'n 1) Stock or Custom (1:25) $20.90 (September, 2012)

This wonderful old jewel of a kit from AMT is back again. The 1970 Galaxie is a fully detailed kit with opening hood and engine in contrast to the AMT 1970 "Motor City Series" kit that was an LTD version and did not have a detailed engine.

The kit is loaded with authentic period correct Police Equipment. Please see the pictures of the side panels above for the in scale police car equipment included. Our friend, John Greczula at Round2/AMT, tells us this kit will include the original Troy, Michigan police car decals as well as four period correct Agencies. He did not have the details at the time of this briefing, but we will post the police Agency details on the web site as soon as we have them. John tells us that the tooling for this kit has been cleaned up quite a bit to eliminate any flash from the parts trees. We like to recognize those who work so hard to keep this hobby alive and John Greczula at AMT, in particular, has done so much on our behalf to bring these wonderful kits back to life with their nostalgic vintage box art. Thanks John!

Features

[*]Authentic Detailed Boss 429 Interceptor Engine

[*]Roof Mounted Siren and Flasher Unit

[*]Optional Push Bar

[*]Hand Held Spotlight

[*]Fire Extinguisher

[*]Large and Small Antennas

[*]Communications Equipment

[*]Authentic Police Car Open Wheels with Dog Dish Hub Caps

[*]Shotgun

i'll take a case of those vans. and a case of those cop cars... and here's my mortgage money. YIKE.... gotta start budgeting for these jobbies. i think i'll do one of those transports... i don't remember ever seeing that one. a Poncho straight six on a toronado transaxle....

Here is some info on the different levels of 429 goodness available from Ford. Sean Stacey is casting the 429CJ from Revells 70 Torino kit so you could update the kit to a more modern engine mold.

429 CJ/SCJ Blocks

The Four Types of 429s

(Thanks to Dan Davis)

First was the base 429, known as the Thunder Jet (TJ). It came in T-birds and full size Fords in the late 60's and early 70's. Typically 360 horsepower. By far and away the most common -- they made 100,000+ of these. Can be ID'd be block casting numbers of C8SE, C9VE, D0VE, D1VE among others and head casting numbers of C8SE, C9VE, D0VE among others.

Then there was the 429 Cobra Jet (CJ). It was built only in 1970-71. It was only installed in mid-size (1970-71) and pony cars (1971 only). 370 HP (likely underrated), thick strong blocks and massive ports int he heads. ID'd by D0VE-A and D1VE-AA casting numbers on the block and D0OE-R on the heads. No other numbers are CJ. Not too common, maybe a total production of 15,000.

The 429 SCJ was a stronger version on the CJ. The difference was forged pistons, solid lifter cam and four bolt mains*. The rest of the info is the same. Even less common with a production of maybe 3,000.

The baddest of them all is the Boss 429. It was rated at 375HP (grossly underrated). It came in special Mustangs (and 2 Cougars) in 1969-70. It had four bolt mains, aluminum hemi-style heads and looked like no other engine. ID by casting number on the block of C9AE. The heads ID themselves. Very rare and very expensive as only about 1,200 were made.

(* Correct for 429 SCJ Torino. On 71 429 SCJ Mustang, both 2 and 4 bolt mains were possible - JB)

Here is some police interceptor specific info. It seems the kit should have a 428 in it for 70, the 429/460 PI motor didn't start until 71.

• From somewhere in the 1960's and up to/including the 1970 model year, the FoMoCo PI engines were FE's, typically the 428PI (which is of the FE Family, not to be confused with the 429PI, which is of the 385 Series Family).
  • In 1971, the 429PI debuted. It was basically a 429SCJ engine with D0OE-R heads, 4-bolt D0VE-A block and forged flat top pistons, etc. The SCJ intake may have had the spreadbore carb pad, though (I'm not sure)
  • In 1972, the dedicated 429PI engine was released. This engine had the 4-bolt D0VE-A block, D2OE-AB Police Interceptor heads, flat top forged pistons, and an SCJ-style intake with a spreadbore carb pad.
  • 1973 brought the 460PI. (Maybe there were still some 429PI's?) It had TRW "D"-shaped dish pistons and (I think) the D2OE-AB PI heads. Not sure what it had for a block and intake.
  • 1974 was the 460PI. Here is where I don't know what's going on. Somewhere around this time or perhaps in 1975, they went to the D3VE-A2A passenger car head.

Here is some more:

There were 2 versions of the 460 for police use. People get these confused and thus the bad wrap on these motors.

There is the 460 Police motor (basically a reg 460)

and the 460 Police Interceptor motor. (performance goodies)

Both sound the same but are differant. main differance is that the Interceptor uses an in-tank electric pump and alot of head work. (casting #'s wont disclose anything)

Forget whatever the books say. Ford did a number on these motors.. seems like every year they changed something.

You honestly dont know what you have till you take it apart.

I have a 77 460 Police Interceptor. From what i read it is just a basic 460.

When I went to rebuild it the shop called me and said it has huge valves (2.19/1.76), High performance cam and huge ports on the heads. Compression was low at around 8.5-9 to 1.

Motor was built to pass air freely.

Once rebuilt and installed in my truck, I was pulling off 14 sec 1/4 mile times, on street tires, with the 460 Police Interceptor.

my head #'s were D3VE a2a. and not even close to stock heads with the same casting number.

Thanx to a guy I met on Ebay with a 1976 Interceptor, Ive since learned alot.

Take it apart and youll find out if its a Interceptor or just a reg police.

these motors with the 3-1 gears topped out at 130+ mph.

More:

The 429 PI's would generally be a 1972 engine with an intake manifold identical to a 429 CJ except it had an odd spreadbore pattern for a ford carb that was not a quadrajet. The heads are D2OE-AB and have ports halway between CJ and standard size, with 2.19" and 1.725" valves. They also have guide plates, hardened pushrods, and CJ style rockers. The pistons are forged TRW flat tops with a large eyebrow. Basically same pistons and rods as a SCJ. The exhaust manifolds are similar to CJ/SCJ but with D2 part numbers. They have aluminum finned valve covers similar to a CJ/SCJ. The blocks could be 2 bolt or 4 bolt main with a part number of D0VE or D1VE. Just judging from what I've seen your chances are about 50/50 of getting a 4 bolt. You don't know until you pull the pan. The oil pan is also similar to CJ/SCJ being slightly deeper and baffled. They also came with an oil cooler adapter similar to that of a 71 429 SCJ mustang.

The good 460 PI's were in 73-74. They didn't have as much good stuff but still pretty nice. Pretty much all of the same information applies that I mentioned on the 429 but they had steel valve covers and a small port intake instead of the CJ sized intake. Also the pistons were TRW forged on the 460 but they had a very slight dish similar to the JE dished pistons.

The Revell 69 Shelby has a 428 SCJ motor in it, you could also use the 390 out of the AMT 67 Comet. The 390 and 428 shared the same block so externally look almost identical. It looks like the valve covers should be the stock stamped steel painted ones with Powered by Ford scripting and I'm not exactly sure where to find them. I'm having trouble finding any pics of the correct valve covers but check out this 67 Ford Custom 4 door to get an idea. The problem you get in to searching for Interceptor stuff is that just because a motor came out of a police car doesn't make it an Interceptor motor and most of the stuff out there is just a regular engine pulled from a cop car that people call and Interceptor but it isn't.

http://www.streetleg...ce-interceptor/

Least effort for a correct engine swap would have to be the AMT/Model King '71 T-Bird- either that kit's engine or the engine block-off (if you want to glue the hood shut) literally drop right into the Galaxie chassis. Rob just mentioned the '69 Galaxie engine- that would work as well, and the '69 kit would probably be easier (and chaper) to locate than the T-Bird kit. Since the engine compartment is rather barren in this kit anyway, I usually use the block-off and glue the hood shut, though one of these days I want to go full-on and detail/correct the engine compartment and stick the Revell Torino engine in there.

Thank you ,Fat Brian , for that detailled reply !

I didn't realise that the so-called "385-Series" (429/460) wasn't a "regular" engine until 1971 ; and it makes sense that the Ford-Edsel series (352 , ad seq.) would be used through 1970 .

By the way , I love the way that FoMoCo *used to* i.d. their parts ! It was so easy to recognise what era a part originated from. For example : "A"=1940's , "B"=1950's , "C"=1960's , "D"=1970's , "E"=1980's , and "F"=1990's (through 1998) .

• 2 weeks later...

Was this kit modified to produce the Interceptor or were they different tools altogether?

Yes..my understanding is that the LTD 4dr ht was made first (from the promo tooling), then it's tooling was revised to make the Galaxie 4dr sedan and they inexplicably used a Boss 429 engine (as they did w/ the '70 Torino Cobra annual, which was available in the MCS series and as a full detail kit). I have a couple of the LTDs in my stash, neat kit.

Edited by Rob Hall

Yes..my understanding is that the LTD 4dr ht was made first (from the promo tooling), then it's tooling was revised to make the Galaxie 4dr sedan and they inexplicably used a Boss 429 engine (as they did w/ the '70 Torino Cobra annual, which was available in the MCS series and as a full detail kit). I have a couple of the LTDs in my stash, neat kit.

Thanks, that makes sense then because the Interceptor has the somewhat flat LTD hard top roof (no post) which is not correct for a factory 4 door post sedan.