Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette Grand Sport March Madness

I'm not too happy with the rear tyres either,any solutions or alternatives...

The tires are kind of an odd size with an odd hole size, I can't think of any kit that would make a good tire donor. Maybe someone will find a good kit tire and resin cast it.

• 3 months later...

Everything I've read on these cars say they were painted Mecom Blue (supposedly a 1959 Cadilac color). Does anyone know of a Tamiya or Testors shade of blue that would be close. Also the instructions say the interior is a flat medium blue, any ideas on that.

I've found some photos of the original cars, but it's hard to tell as they are so old.

I ordered some of the Grand Sport decals from V-R-M, and they are excellent. The open scoop hood option is offered on Strada Sports website, and will allow the builders some more options.

Any help on the paint is greatly appreciated.

Happy Modeling, Have Fun, Vernon

From my research, the color most often credited to #004 (box top version) is the Caddy color Pelham blue from '60 (IIRC). Though I have been told that it was a slightly modified version and it appears to have a touch more silver in it (when you look at the pictures on the restoration site). Thought that may be an effect of the lighting...

I can't help you with the current colors for our hobby. One of the hobby paint makers (not Testor or Tamiya, the mail order exact color ones) was supposed to be coming out with the correct Mecom blue some time ago but I haven't seen nor heard of it yet. I was going to purchase the color from a local auto paint supplier. I think all but the most anal amoung us would accept any suitably shaded, barely light, metalic blue.

Thanks for the link, the photos will be very helpfull. I found a shade of blue in Testors laquer series I think will be pretty close, I'll post the color later as I forgot the item number. I gave up on exact matches and super detailing models a few years ago. I went through a burn & walked away from the hobby. Now, at the ripe old age of 55 I'm back and enjoying it more. Word of advise to those who go through burn outs, DON'T sell your collections. Put them away, it's a lot cheaper than trying to replace what you sold.

Thanks to my fellow modelers on this forum, you've all been a great help and inspiration since I joined.

Happy Modeling to all & ENJOY what you do.

Vernon

Edited by VERNON

In the last few months, one of the two leading model mags (sorry, don't remember which) had a tip about filling tires with silicone. Wonder if that would help "fill out" that concave tire surface?

Unfortunately, the one I've got that has this issue, the tires are solid. There's no hollow in them to fill wil silicone. I thought about trying to sand the tires but I'll end up losing the tread. I'm probably just going to have to order new tires. :(

Everything I've read on these cars say they were painted Mecom Blue (supposedly a 1959 Cadilac color). Does anyone know of a Tamiya or Testors shade of blue that would be close. Also the instructions say the interior is a flat medium blue, any ideas on that.

I've found some photos of the original cars, but it's hard to tell as they are so old.

I ordered some of the Grand Sport decals from V-R-M, and they are excellent. The open scoop hood option is offered on Strada Sports website, and will allow the builders some more options.

Any help on the paint is greatly appreciated.

Happy Modeling, Have Fun, Vernon

The Blue used on the Mecom Cars was 1960 Cadillac Pellham Blue. Tru Match made the exact paint years ago when Accurate Miniatures first released the kit. Model car world should be able to provide the paint also. I started on one years ago, using the Model Car Garage detailing set. I have the chassis done, but have not gotten too much further. I also have one of HRM's roadster transkits, which is absolutely beautiful.

Just another TIP....I was working on the interior tub this weekend and discovered a few release pin marks that will be visable. I sanded the marks out but wound up with a smooth underside. I broke out a can of Testors "Fabric Gray Auto Laquer# 28135" and gave that try. PRESTO! this paint dries and leaves a gritty feel, so now I will go back over this with some flat black and that should give a fiberglass look.

I have the body ready for a primer coat and will be testing different shades of blue on a scrap body. My goal is to keep the cost down as I want to build several versions of these cars, and I know the price of some of the aftermarket paints can get crazy.

I also found an old car magazine on e-bay with a full feature article on the Grand Sports, so I'm hoping this will be of help.

Any way "Happy Modeling", Vernon

• 4 weeks later...

Attached is a pic of a Grand Sport I finished last week. Luckily I wrapped it up just in time to make the IPMS Nationals in Orlando, where it won a special award commemorating the 60th anniversary of Sebring. I used the HRM front A-arms and exhaust headers, detailed the engine, and used the excellent V-R-M decal sheet mentioned earlier.

I said I'd never build another one, but then I found the HRM Grand Sport roadster trans kit at one of the vendor tables, so it looks like I'll pull another one out of my stash!

post-5831-0-72993600-1345145312_thumb.jp

The new AM never even looked at the kit as there was some issue around licensing or the tool....never got a straight story.

"The molds....who knows" so then . . . when they're gone, there gone ? If'n you want more than one you better jump now ?

Now that I read this again (and maybe Dave Van can answer this), what happened to the molds for the A-M kits? Did the second A-M inherit them, and then when they were liquidated....????