Model Cars Magazine Forum

Really confused here

Ok while searching the Bay there is a seller who sells mostly reproduction display cutouts for models,this is his description on each listing

" PLEASE READ BEFOR BIDDING

The rising cost and rarity of these displays are making it hard to collect. We at MTS have the best solution. These displays are 99 percent accurate as possible. They are cut and folded just like the originals. No assembly required .The photo of the built model is for reference only , If you are the winner bidder and you did not read the description you are still liable for the payment. You will not be disappointed. The model is not included YOU ARE GETTING A REPOP CARDBOARD DISPLAY

SHIPPING: WILL NOT SHIP WORLDWIDE.US ONLY

MODEL NOT INCLUDED

The display is a high quality repop"

What confuses me is these things are going for crazy money,like 50-100 bucks and they arn't even real.Why on earth are people going crazy over these things?It's like the guy is just printing money,he being totally honest and fair but why are they going for so much?

Note:Please don't start raging on me about e-bay,no links were posted,I am just asking a question.Also please try and refrain from arguing with anyone, I would like for this to be a non-hostile thread.

When it comes to Ebay, stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Example: 2 of the EXACT same kits, SEALED, ending within one hour of each other. One sells at $15, the other sells at $30. Most of the time it comes down to either A.) Someone doesn't read the full description, or B.) they REALLY want it.

Simple as this:

If the Original ones are getting higher and higher in price..... and they are in such high demand. If you can get a very accurate one for say 1/4-1/2 the price of an original, and you are happy with that. Then its a good deal.

Supply and demand

Simple....some people will pay more $$$ than others...others will not....Me will Not

I like the displays...they represent the models well

The ad seems straight foward...

My pet peeve on e-bay is when they say the kit "LOOKS COMPLETE"....Ha... how can one tell if a kit is complete by just looking at it.....i assume it is a way to protect the sell....And so they say....:I Told You Sooooooo...

Best to all....Don aka XJ6

I know they are cool,I want several to display with models at shows.I just don't know why they are comanding so much cash, I think he would sell them in large quanities if he had a BIN at 10-15 bucks for just one.

Gary just search "store display" in the model kit section of toys and hobbies.

I know they are cool,I want several to display with models at shows.I just don't know why they are comanding so much cash, I think he would sell them in large quanities if he had a BIN at 10-15 bucks for just one.

You are assuming the seller can make them in mass quantities- maybe they are hand made, one at a time? Maybe they take three hours a piece to cut out, fold, and assemble?

The seller has sold these before on eBay (see the link I posted to the same topic discussed previously) and he (I think his name is Scott) knows how much each will sell for on eBay.

Try finding an original display base (see Dean Milano's webpage for reference), then you'll see why these are selling for what they are.

One thing to remember, and I know this from vast experience, is that a surefire way to guarantee a disclaimer isn't read is to preface it with

" PLEASE READ BEFOR BIDDING" (sic) ;)

Furthermore, I have had the disquieting experience in hundreds of communications of noticing that, even though I have included all, 100% complete and factual information, I am repeatedly asked questions, the answers to which appear in the original text, by people simply too lazy or in to much of a hurry to read.

The logical inference here is that the disclaimer isn't being read and / or understood, and stupid money is being paid for admitted fakes.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

My pet peeve on e-bay is when they say the kit "LOOKS COMPLETE"....Ha... how can one tell if a kit is complete by just looking at it.....i assume it is a way to protect the sell....And so they say....:I Told You Sooooooo...

Funny! My favorite "LOOKS COMPLETE" auction had one view into the model box. There were just some odd parts, looked like the left overs from a build. No body or chassis in the photo! But it LOOKED COMPLETE to the numpty selling it! Or the shrewdie thought it would look complete to the numpties buying!

What confuses me is these things are going for crazy money,like 50-100 bucks and they arn't even real.Why on earth are people going crazy over these things?It's like the guy is just printing money,he being totally honest and fair but why are they going for so much?

Simple. Like any auction, someone is willing to pay more than the other guy for the item. The price is driven up, usually past the point of "real" worth. You "win" an auctioned item by outbidding everyone else. It's how auctions work, no mystery there.

I only ask one question "Do you accept Postal Money Order?"

because I do not have paypal.

I use to use Wal-mart MO's but they now charge you to Cash one!!!

No thanks

Best part about Postal MO is I can charge the seller with FEDERAL Mail

fraud & theft if I don't get the item, or can show it is wrong and they won't correct it.

I will notify the seller if the picture is not of the item being sold.

Edited by Edsel-Dan