Model Cars Magazine Forum

The "S" word...

Harry P.

Yep, I'm gonna say it right here on a family-friendly forum.

SNOW!

I just came in from shoveling our first "real" snowfall. We've had a dusting or two in the past week or so, but this time there was enough to be "shovel-able"... maybe 2-3".

Not a big deal as far as snowfall goes, but it's just that first one of the season that hurts... because it's a reminder that we're in for another loooooong winter. :rolleyes:

I envy you Harry. My part of the country is cold, wet, and miserable overcast. Snow would at least give me a reason to go out and shovel or hike. The weather here is just useless for much of anything.

Where are you located?

Snow ???....Snow and traffic are the only 2 things about Chicago I don't miss.

What about the pizza and Chicago style hotdogs? :wub:

I don't know Harry, those last couple snowfalls we had were pretty real ;)

Actually, that last one was pretty much one big sheet of ice from the time I crossed the Dupage/Kane Co. line until I got to the store! I thought I was having problems with my 15 year old Jeep until I saw much newer cars and trucks having the same issues I was!

I just drove from Fort Worth to Spokane. Vernon, TX was 82 degrees on Tuesday. Got into Sheridan, WY on Wednesday and it was -21. Yeah, over 100 degree swing. Hit snow through Denver and pure ice from Casper to Butte. Fun drive. Now just waiting for the bitter cold to break here and unleash the snow...

We haven't hade a huge amount of snow up here in central Saskatchewan yet, maybe 6-8" total, but the cold has set in! The other day it hit -42 c! It took 20 mins of driving before my tires warmed up enough to be round again! I'm convinced the battery in my 2011 Charger won't survive much longer, being in the trunk it never gets to thaw out. I used to work at the security desk at the Potash mine where I'm (at the moment) employed, and being an American owned company (Mosaic Potash), we get a lot of guys from the southern states in for tours. We had a few guys from Texas I think last year during a nasty cold snap that had never been this far north, or experienced such cold. They looked like they wouldn't survive the 100' walk from their parking spot to the door! They just couldn't wrap their heads around such extreme cold. All I said was "it's not bad if the wind stays down". By the time they left, the wind was howling. I felt so bad for those poor guys!

So far, all we have gotten are a couple of dustings. It's been years since we've had a good one in my area. :( I love a good five or six inch snowfall. It makes everything look so clean and neat. I also welcome the quiet that it brings here, especially at night.

I lived the first 27 years of my life in and around Chicago. I am now in Arizona and sometimes I miss the snow. Then I remember having to mount snow tires, going out 15 minutes early to try and start the car and turn the heat on, frozen door locks, wipers frozen to the windshield, having a scraper in your car with a plastic scraper on one end and a broom on the other end. Oh how about the big clumps of snow that would pile up on the fenders behind the wheels. Cars getting stuck in the snow and helping push out. Calling the service station for a jump to get your car started. I worked at a Texaco gas station for awhile and I would go out with my boss in his International scout with a snow plow and a jumper unit. We would have about 10 calls on a run and when you went to a call other people on the block would pour out of their homes needing a jump. It was crazy busy. Then go back to the station for another list. No cell phones and he did not have a 2 way radio. On second thought maybe I don't miss the snow and cold weather.

I lived in Chicago until l was 16 and will never miss snow and chopping ice. I walked to school as a kid and it was miserable. I don't wear anything more then a sweat shirt hear all winter. I do miss the hotdogs, pizza,and going to Cubs games. I don't like the summers here but its better then snow...

I do not miss snow, ice, and all the other little annoyances that come with winter weather. It is currenty 36 degrees here but, there isn't a cloud in the sky. We had some rain earlier in the week and it snowed in the mountains but that is it so far.

G

We had a slush-storm with a little snow mixed in, with more to come tommorrow...well, later today, supposedly, and more end of the week.

Tra-la, tra-la....

BLECH!

To add injury to insult, I came home and found the heat not working- most likely need some oil. I'll go get some diesel in the morning (read: after dawn) to re-start the boiler and call the oil man.

Charlie Larkin

Well it's snowing right now in Eastern PA outside of Philly! We did get that 'dusting' on Sunday, enough that it was on national TV at the Eagles game. Today we already have as much as we did on Sunday, but it's still coming. My wife got ready for work and I told her not to go. She called and none of the bosses went in either!

Maybe I will get to fire up my 3 yr old new NOS snow blower. I've never even put gas in it!

Isn't 36 unusually cold for Las Vegas? I didn't realize it got that cold there.

For this time of the year it is way colder than normal. We don't see temps like that until January and then only for a week or so. I'm usually doing yardwork in a t shirt by mid February. 27 last night and with the wind chill we saw temps of -20.

It will head up to the normal 50's by weeks end.

Harry it snowed 8" by my house in December of '08. Dumped it all in about six hours and paralyzed the town. There's a large segment of the population here that has never seen snow much less cope with it. The rest of us just laughed and went on with our lives. That broke a 35 year record. :D

Remember it's referred to as "high desert". Altitude is key out here, my house is 3000' above sea level, the valley is at 2100 feet give or take. Chicago is just above 700 ft as I recall and St Louis is 630 feet above.

G

For this time of the year it is way colder than normal. We don't see temps like that until January and then only for a week or so. I'm usually doing yardwork in a t shirt by mid February. 27 last night and with the wind chill we saw temps of -20.

It will head up to the normal 50's by weeks end.

Harry it snowed 8" by my house in December of '08. Dumped it all in about six hours and paralyzed the town. There's a large segment of the population here that has never seen snow much less cope with it. The rest of us just laughed and went on with our lives. That broke a 35 year record. :D

Remember it's referred to as "high desert". Altitude is key out here, my house is 3000' above sea level, the valley is at 2100 feet give or take. Chicago is just above 700 ft as I recall and St Louis is 630 feet above.

G

I've only been to Las Vegas during the summer, when it's around 110 or so... hard to imagine snow ever falling there. It must be quite a shock to some of the locals. Does the city even own a plow?