Model Cars Magazine Forum

That 70's Bike

Lyle Willits

DSCN7378-vi.jpg

Back in the days when a peanut farmer was the president, choppers looked like this. They often had no front brake. The extended Sportster forks were made with aluminum tubing and the fork boots painted on. The pschycadelic swirl paint took about 5 hours, total, over a base of Duplicolor white and lots of clear.

DSCN7379-vi.jpg

Many parts, including the engine, came from an old Imex Harley that I took apart. The handle bars, sissy bar and chain guard are made from twisted 20 guage silver wire. The stash pouch was scratchbuilt.

DSCN7381-vi.jpg

I cut grooves in the Revell kit tire to make it look more like a tire from the 70's. The wrap-around fenders are resin from Reps & Mins.

DSCN7385-vi.jpg

The old Imex kit tried to represent a (then) new Evo engine, but it was actually a shovelhead with Evo blockheads,,,,,so I scratchbuilt the shovelheads from shaped plastic and pin heads for bolts.

DSCN7383-vi.jpg

The ol' school solo seat and p-pad are available now from Replicas & Miniature Co. of Md.

We now return you to the 21st. century.

FAR OUT!! :shock:

That is amazing. Great work on the twisted wire pieces, Lyle! And that paint is the knots.

I'll have to add those seats to my NNL East buy list.

Any bike with a stash pouch & a p-pad is a friend of mine. 8)

I have last years cat. from him and dont have none of this bike stuff.I will have to give him a call and request a updated cat.!!

Reps & Mins latest catalog doesn't include the newest chopper parts because they are brand new. I just got the first seats and the primary drive last night and painted and installed them on the, otherwise, finished bikes this morning. I have all of the bike parts shown in my Fotki album.

http://public.fotki.com/mamaprez/lyles_mod...les__race_cars/

I def. want some of those seats. I am currently working on actual coged drives and a cogged belt.A ctually I have them, just need to order more rubber to cast for the new molds and die for the rubber belt.Once thats done, and I finish soldeing on the mounting brackets, my bike should come to life.I want that P ped though for the fender and also need to make me a sissy bar.Can anyone help me with how to scratch build a springer front end??I have some ideas, but havnt jumped forward on any yet.I know how to do a custom newer version, but want to keep my bike old skool.