Model Cars Magazine Forum

I own two Paasche airbrushes, and have found them to be of good quality. For tips, you might want to check out the "Tutorials" section. While an airbrush is not difficult to use, there really is no substitute for practice, so get your scrap bodies ready for experimentation. Personally, I thin my paint to roughly the consistency of milk, and shoot at a pressure of 20 psi. Your results may vary, so the key is PRACTICE to find your "sweet spots".

There are a number of people on here who love their Paasche H airbrushes precisely because they make body painting easier. OTOH, learning to use a dual action 'brush isn't terribly difficult and, IMNSHO, they're more versatile, especially when you've got one like the Badger Anthem which can spray various types of paint without having to change needles & heads.

We have a member here who has tested & reviewed quite a few of the more popular 'brushes. Might want to check it out:

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

As far as paints go, our members seem to spray everything. Some decant lacquer (Dupli-Color, Tamiya etc), some like acrylics and some of us die-hards shoot enamel reduced with lacquer thinner.

If you want to see some techniques that'll shorten your body-painting learning curve, get this: http://oldmansmodels.com/catalog/i13.html

Edited by Monty

I started with the Paasche H series single action brush. It's very nice piece and comes recommended by the Old Man, Donn Yost. That's why I bought it in the first place. I've since traded it off and purchased an Iwata gravity feed brush - extremely nice piece!

I've been using a Paasche H airbrush for over 35 years now, and find that it does a great job giving excellent paint jobs, plus being just about as bulletproof as airbrushes can be. In addition the H, just as with any similar external mix single action air brush, is the simplest to clean, to maintain. Should I need a replacement part, both Hobby Lobby and Michael's stock the most often requested part, the material control (paint delivery) unit, as do many local hobby shops, along with Tower Hobbies and Walthers.

It's an excellent beginner airbrush, and for that matter, one that a great many modelers continue to use for years. Now, if one "graduates" to wild custom paintjobs, or serious "weathering" of models, then stepping up a notch or two to any one of the more sophisticated internal mix, dual action airbrushes may well be in order--but for most people, the Paasche H is an excellent beginner unit, VERY easy to learn to use.

Art