Model Cars Magazine Forum

I used the Dremel as Blair and Rob mention. Just ease off as you get close to going through and use a knife to break through to make the edges ragged. I just used many dabs of rust colors mostly dry brushed. I posted a lot of closeups of a '55 cameo I weathered you can reference.

What paints are good for the rust colors and did u use real dirt for the dirtyness

IMG_3270-vi.jpg

Since Mike showed his rusty Cameo, I thought I'd drag out my rusty Corvette. :) I do my rust out a little different. I don't thin material from behind, I find that a bit unpredictable. I drill a few small holes in the shape I want my rust. Then I take an eXacto blade and turn it around in the holes to connect them in a jagged pattern. The rust on this one is chalk dust. I use the Earthtone set and Testors Dullcote and two brushes. These are going to get misshaped, so use old ones, or I have dedicated ones. Take some Dullcote and spray it into a small cup. Then brush it onto your model where you want rust. Take the second brush and dip it into the chalk dust (you will need to sand the chalk stick to get dust). Then press the dust into the Dullcote. Try to keep this brush relatively dry. You can add Dullcote and keep pressing in chalk dust of varying colors until you get what you want. Note that you won't see the final result until it all dries completely.

What paints are good for the rust colors and did u use real dirt for the dirtyness

I use every type imaginable ... whatever I have around. Chalk is also great, as mentioned. It give some nice texture.

IMG_3270-vi.jpg

Since Mike showed his rusty Cameo, I thought I'd drag out my rusty Corvette. :) I do my rust out a little different. I don't thin material from behind, I find that a bit unpredictable. I drill a few small holes in the shape I want my rust. Then I take an eXacto blade and turn it around in the holes to connect them in a jagged pattern. The rust on this one is chalk dust. I use the Earthtone set and Testors Dullcote and two brushes. These are going to get misshaped, so use old ones, or I have dedicated ones. Take some Dullcote and spray it into a small cup. Then brush it onto your model where you want rust. Take the second brush and dip it into the chalk dust (you will need to sand the chalk stick to get dust). Then press the dust into the Dullcote. Try to keep this brush relatively dry. You can add Dullcote and keep pressing in chalk dust of varying colors until you get what you want. Note that you won't see the final result until it all dries completely.

Question how come car is old and rusted but rims and tires look new

Never saw fiberglass rust through.

Here we go again! I built the car as a joke. Nobody ever saw a rusty 'vette before. The license plate says "YESIKNO".

Question how come car is old and rusted but rims and tires look new

Overall picture of the car shows rusty rear rims and snow tires. Upon trying to assemble the body to chassis, the tires and rims I had on the chassis didn't fit up under the body, so I just popped the original kit rims on the front to get it off the ground for now. Remember, rat rods are rusty bodies with brand new tires! The car will have a clean engine though.