Model Cars Magazine Forum

House of Kolor Paints

I'm sure these questions have been posed in one form or another many times already but I was not able to locate the information I am looking for using the search options.

I have not used HOK paints before but I plan to use them on my next build. The more information I look for in regards to using the paints and what paints to use, it seems as though I get more confused. I plan on trying the Kandy Brandywine over an Orion Silver base coat. It looks like the only clear top coat that Black Gold offers on their website is the SG100. But, on the HOK website they list Clear SG100 as a base coat ONLY clear and they say that you should never use SG100 as a clear top coat, especially over a Kandy color. So I guess I have a couple of questions.

- What HOK clear product should be used over their Kandy colors?

- Does anyone know where to find general information about using their paints?

Maybe Black Gold sends along information about using the HOK products such as when to apply the Kandy color over the base coat. When to apply the clear, etc.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Please! I don't want to waste a bunch of money in a botched HOK painting session. : )

Thank you,

J

jwood

Hey Jesse.... I spray a lot of HOK and PPG paints personally on my builds. In my Opinion you can't go wrong with using base coat/clear coat paints. I got turned onto them many years ago... probably back in 1991/1992. A good friend of the family who paints real cars for a living got me hooked on automotive paints. For all of my paint jobs either using House of Kolor or PPG's base. I have cleared them with PPG's Concept 20/20 clear, I have also used the Concept 2001 before too. You will find that you should be able to use any Urethane Clear on them.

I have been purchasing my HOK paints from a company called Smart Shoppers Inc.... web site is www.smartshoppersinc.com . They used to carry a bunch of HOK in Air Brush Bottles (4 oz) that was packaged directly from HOK and not like the few companies that will pour them out for you them self. Also these colors from HOK are mixed 2:1 (2 parts paint to 1 part reducer) I personally use RU 311 and RU312. Depending on the temperature out you will use different reducers. In lower temperatures you will use a faster reducer and in High temps you want a slower reducer. I bought some Urethane clear from them to try out about a year or more ago and the brand is Kirker Automotive finishes its a pre-reduced clear where you just have to add the Activator to it. A quart of this clear is $24.00 and the Activator is $9.00 for a half pint. this paint is mixed 4:1 (4 parts clear to 1 part Activator). I still have yet to use this clear to see how it sprays and how I like it compared to the PPG 20/20 I like to shoot. but the PPG paint is mixed 4:1:1.... 4 parts paint to 1 part reducer to 1 part hardner and the cost is a lot more so I was looking into some alternatives for my models.

Sorry to get off track but you were asking about the SG100 from HOK.... that is a Inner Coat Clear and I won't ever go with out it when I am doing paint jobs that are multiple colors. The inner coat clear is shot on just like any of the base coats. you can spray a few coats and let it flash off and you can start taping off for your other colors. The nice thing with the Inner coat clear is that it will not leave any tape tack (tape lines) in the paint and you won't get any bleed thru. Once done shooting your colors you will need to clear it with a Urethane Clear. Here is what I copied and pasted right off Smarts Shoppers website on the SG100 Inner Coat clear

• Intercoat clear is designed for use as a protective clear for artwork tape outs on Shimrin basecoats. It prevents permanent tape markings and protects metallic surfaces when artwork is planned. SG100 may be used to blend Shimrin pearls and metallic basecoats and to mix pearl liquid and Kandy concentrates for use in door jambs or as added effects on a paint job. This clear must be top coated.

Here is a link directly to House of Kolors website to find General Information: http://www.houseofkolor.com/ You can also find information on Smart Shoppers Inc as well

If you have more questions feel free to ask. I know there are many other great modelers here on this forum that uses HOK paints and we all probably have our own little tricks with using these paint. I hope that I didn't overload you with too much information to confuse you.

Do not use SG100 as a clear, as you've already found out. It is a basecoat with no dye in it mainly used for graphic tape outs. I pretty much use HOK exclusively and have for many years.

There are several brands of clear that you can use over it.

For modeling purposes, I use Nason SelectClear 2 part clear. Its about $40 for a quart "kit" (quart of clear with a half pint of reducer...it gets mixed 4:1). If you haven't sprayed a 2 part clear before, I would suggest going to a local body shop and talk to the painter and see if you can work out an arrangement for him to clear it for you...offer to buy lunch or something like that.

As I was typing this, mooneyzs typed his response so I will no regurgitate what he has said. The HOK website has the info you need for flash times, dry times, etc. You could request a technical manual from them or go to a local auto body supply house and they should be able to get one for you. There shouldn't be too much of a learning curve if you haven't used it before.

One thing I will suggest is to strain your paint when pouring into the airbrush. Some of the pigment and/or flakes could form a small "ball", or speck to some people and, will spit out of the airbrush at the most inopportune time, like your last coat of color, and ruin your day.

As mooneyzs stated, feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Fatkidd is the MAN when it comes to HOK paints, Jesse. I would like to suggest that you check out the pricing at Coast Airbrush for HOK paints. I buy their 2, 4, or 8 oz bottles of pre-mixed HOK paints.

Link please?, I am having a hard time finding them

Guest G Holding

Link please?, I am having a hard time finding them

http://www.coastairbrush.com/

http://www.coastairbrush.com/categories.asp?cat=44

When at Coast, note the new (real) HOK in rattlecans Not cheap, at $27.00 for a 12oz spray...I am gonna pick up a few of my favorites next order just for a try.

http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=822

Edited by G Holding

Fatkidd is the MAN when it comes to HOK paints, Jesse. I would like to suggest that you check out the pricing at Coast Airbrush for HOK paints. I buy their 2, 4, or 8 oz bottles of pre-mixed HOK paints.

Jim, do you have, or is their a link to the pre mixed bottles , I have no problems finding the 1/2/4/8 choice's but I am not seeing if they are pre mixed, is there a special section on the website that I am missing?

Jonathan,

If you click on the down arrow where you select the size that you want and go to the bottom portion of that window you should see where it says the size (1,2,4,8,16 oz) PRE REDUCED 1:1

The first size selection that they have listed is not pre reduced and you must use RU310, RU311, or RU312 to reduce it.

HTH