Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 wants to know what you want!

Oh, and they could reissue the 1/16 stuff, i.e. the 55 and 57 Chevies and the 55 and 57 Thunderbirds.

They should not, under any circumstances, think about ever releasing the missing '56es, or expand the series otherwise in any way.

They must remain as backward, inflexible and rigid as they proved themselves over the past 40 years.

Oh, and they could reissue the 1/16 stuff, i.e. the 55 and 57 Chevies and the 55 and 57 Thunderbirds.

They should not, under any circumstances, think about ever releasing the missing '56es, or expand the series otherwise in any way.

They must remain as backward, inflexible and rigid as they proved themselves over the past 40 years.

Well, Round 2 hasn't been around for 40 years, so it's going to be tough to live up to that. It's a relatively new company that bought these brands within the last couple of years, and is working to resurrect them. Hence a current desire to find out what modelers want.

Edited by sjordan2

R2 - please provide us with a guide map. Let us know what molds you have or potentially have access to - then let us then rate them. A poll on the website would work perfectly, similar to the one you had with the decals, extra parts, etc.

I will send this to R2 - they are fairly responsive to emails and contacts. Hopefully something like this will work.

Reading through the last 20 or so posts...

Erik is right to a degree. People do request kits that would certainly put any model company out of business quickly! They may sell a case or two of the Ford Fairmont 4 door sedan. The rest of them would be headed for the close out stores. But at the same time, ask enough people and you wind up with a list like SAE used to post. If you look back, the manufacturers have kitted nearly everything on that list!

The thing Round 2 didn't answer (btw, the Facebook page is legit) is if they are at the point of doing new tools. That changes the game a whole lot. Plus we still don't know what they've found in the magic warehouse (they're more astute than the previous operators) that they'd invest some money in restoring. For instance tools are often missing chrome trees, glass shots, tail light red shots, and tire molds because those were separate from the main tool and get separated. Those are fairly easy fixes. If a tool is missing or needs a total retool on a major part like a body, that's a whole 'nuther thing. It gets expensive and they have to carefully deduce if they can do it feasibly. For instance, take the 1963 Nova wagon... it's there as that gasser / funnycar but how much to reproduce the tools to get it back to the stock issue? Might as well start over.

Stuff that they may have but won't sell well... it's been said over and over that a few high dollar sales of an obscure kit on eBay doesn't translate into a kit that will sell thousands if reissued. On eBay you just need two nostalgic guys with deep pockets to get the price up. Things that really haven't done all that well... show cars. I've bought the Barris T dune buggy, the moon buggy thing, etc for $5 at shows. They're also likely to show up as door prizes! Large scale kits don't do big numbers. Dave Burket had a hard time getting rid of all his Vega funny cars. Old luxury cars... same thing with the 70 Buick and T-Bird he did. Even the old Craftsman '64 Comet didn't sell out quick. On the other hand anything straight line.. gassers, funny cars, pro stocks etc, especially with authentic decals, fall off the shelf!

There are kits that would sell quickly. The '53 Studebaker kit. Try finding them on the secondary market. Same with the 79 Ford pickup Model King did. There are a bunch of kits run in the past 10 years, that could be run without much problem. Do the Round 2 magic of adding extra value to the kit, put it in the original box and you have another winner.

I also think the old Dodge van, with a newly retooled grill would be as good as the Chevy vans they've been doing. We are having a nostalgic resurgence of vans in the hobby. The last release with a legit grill in it had the high end, 4 headlight grill. This time why not put the low end 2 headlight grill? And look at the tool to see if any of the old options are in there like the work benches, custom van accessories and check the clear glass tool for the old port hole window shapes! I think we're more likely to see creative reuses than new tools from them for a while. Still hoping they'll surprise me though!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Well, Round 2 hasn't been around for 40 years, so it's going to be tough to live up to that. It's a relatively new company that bought these brands within the last couple of years, and is working to resurrect them. Hence a current desire to find out what modelers want.

I'm sick and tired of excuses. Heard them too often the past 40 years.

Meanwhile the diecast boys rack in the billions.

my own personal top 5 are ( in no particular order )

1965 Plymouth Belvedere

1965 Mercury Comet

1971 (or 1972) Dodge Demon ( thank you thank you thank you )

1966 Plymouth Satellite,,, stock and maybe even a Petty nascar version

1971 Dodge Challenger.

a Bonus would be any ' pre 1972' Dodge truck.

simple re-issues

Polar lights Funnycar kits ( don't matter which ones )

AMT 1964 Comet

1972 Chevrolet pickup / wrecker combination

Yea, I know.my list is geared towards Mopar stuff. I just can't think of any of off brands right now that I would want more than the above.

I tend to believe a 1960 thru 1972 Big body chrysler kit would do reasonably well .???? anyone tried to buy a decent builder 1960-61 New Yorker kit lately?, if so open the wallet up wide .

How about a 1957 up thru 1960 Desoto kit ?

1961 Pontiac Catalina maybe ?

How about a 1972 or 1973 Gran Torino ? I think the Nascar guys would snatch these up like hotcakes

Edited by gtx6970

That's where the demand is...there are a lot more diecast collectors than model builders...just the way it is.

We live in a instant gratification world... die cast always seemed like cheating to me. The only die cast I have ever purchased for myself was hot wheels when I was a kid. I have them, but they were all gifts.

We live in a instant gratification world... die cast always seemed like cheating to me. The only die cast I have ever purchased for myself was hot wheels when I was a kid. I have them, but they were all gifts.

There are so many interesting subjects available in diecast in many scales that have never and will never be available in styrene or resin kits, so I've always been into both...

That's where the demand is...there are a lot more diecast collectors than model builders...just the way it is.

Nobody wants to build anything today. They're looking for something they can pop from the package and display. And a lot of them are still keeping stuff 'mint in the box' thinking it will be valuable someday.

For some reason the general public thinks of metal being more valuable vs plastic. So even if the companies put out very detailed plastic prebuilts, they're perceived as 'cheap plastic toys'.

As far as die cast stuff (for me personally ) it has to be

A- fit my likes / subject matter.to a T

B- cheap

C- I can't get it any other way

I tend to lean more towards making my own as opposed to just buying something done , I'm a tight wad and I get some gratification in saying ' I made it ' .

same rules apply to pre-built plastic kits, UNLESS It happens to be a subject I don't already have on the shelf . Then and only then if I happen to find a done kit that I plan to build at a later date and it fits the above criteria I'll buy something already assembled. Even then it still has to be relativity in-expensive .

I wish they would scrap the old 72 Chevy Pick up tooling a tool up a brand new one, similar to the detail of the 50 Chevy Pickup. I would also like to see the 1933 Chevy Panel Truck rescued from Barnabus Vampire Van hell, but alas, it'll never happen...

I'll also second the 71-73 Riviera. I still can't believe that there isn't one...

Edited by Nate

As far as die cast stuff (for me personally ) it has to be

A- fit my likes / subject matter.to a T

B- cheap

C- I can't get it any other way

If there's a kit I don't buy diecast. For things like 1950s light commercial trucks that don't exist in plastic I'm happy to get them any way! I do intend to pull them apart and build a model from them someday, but they look nice on my shelves the way they are until I get to 'em!

Bearing in mind that Round 2 also issues and reissues a lot of sci-fi and monster stuff, here's one that seems to be gathering support on their Facebook page. There have been some limited-edition and hugely expensive built models, all hard to find. Disney licensing fees might sink the idea, but I'm in.

Nautilus_zpsbd564d8a.jpg

Interesting that I couldn't find any movie stills online. The Disney copyright police must be doing an excellent job.

I recall seeing somewhere that the 20,000 League under the Sea sub is being done this year. I believe that it is either Mobius or Pegasus.

Well, I guess there is a reason for it.

How many bloody 56 Ford reissues do I need in my life? I had what feels like 20.

In what feels like 30 years, I got the following new tooled kits:

50 Olds

5x Hudson or what that bloody thing is.

Nobody with half a brain can convince me, that the world was waiting for those two kits.

The hype is simply based on the fact, that we became grateful for any newly tooled kit, no matter what the bloody heck they think to unload on us.

It's pathetic.

I'm sick and tired of their nonsense. Everyone with half a brain buys diecasts by now. The diecast boys do what the kit makers fail to understand for well over a quarter century now.

Lissen, if a manufacturer has to ask around what to release next, he'll be broke in less than two years. Mark my words and I rest my bloody case.

I wish the plastic model kit industry was not run by backward hillbillies. I really do. But alas.

Edited by Junkman