Model Cars Magazine Forum

i am not sure if this will be in any book i would buy , still i am going to be buying a few books this week , but my Q on carbs is , how do you guys that use these carbs make them look so darn good ,, every kit i bought so far the first thing i look at are the carbs and i look and think ,, no way in heck can these carbs be any of the same carbs you guys are using , am i missing something here ,, i sure would love to see a video of someone doing up a carb detail

Most of the kits don't have the greatest carbs but once in awhile you'll find good ones. Usually if I'm doing a build I like to leave the air cleaners off so the detail is visible, so I use aftermarket carbs. If I use the air cleaner ill just use the kit carbs. Here's a picture of an aftermarket carb from vcg resins it's a Holley 650 I think. The second picture has the same carbs but thise came out if my parts box and I don't remember what kit they're from. As far as detailing them ill use brass paint or the metalizer paint and try and drill out for fuel lines. Best thing to do is find good reference pictures.

4290163E-2F6C-4114-9517-AFD8CB9FC841-594

2687B036-3EFC-417E-BA05-5008F08268B4-469

Edited by Bluemiles22

There are ready Photo Etch detail kits for carburetors. Mostly they are for Holley carbs. Many of my builds have Rochester Quadrajet, since I build alot of those Stock Eliminator Drag Cars, so there are no Detail kits available. Drill the carburetor throats open and add Fuel Lines just as the Reference pics say. The carburetor linkage can be scratchbuilt, too.

Also I bought just a pair of decent looking Carter AFB carburetors. Can't remember the Manufacturer, though but they were Resin.

Few Carburetors of mine.

DSCN0264.jpg

DSCN1179_zps6515eed3.jpg

PA180527_zpscdd1536e.jpg