Model Cars Magazine Forum

How accurate is the AMT Freightliner COE model?

Headlights need to come down- this is how they look unmodified, from the kit-

IMG_28581-vi.jpg

Here's a real one- note that the bottom of the headlamp bezels are about even with the bottom of the upper grille panel.

8-vi.jpg

And yes, the front axle is also a bit wide (as can be seen in the pic of the model).

You might also want to look into changing the side step setup- from what I've seen and have been told, the ladder-type side steps used in the AMT kit weren't very common.

• 1 month later...

The steps AMT used are prototypes that were only on a few trucks mostly for truck shows. I've only ever seen one truck with them. The correct style of steps are available from Porky at P & P vintage kits. You could also fill in the opening and use the small stirup steps that were standard. A quick google search of 1972 Freightliners will yield a gold mine of info.

what's the easy way to move the head lights down ?

Hey Mark the easy way to do the headlights is cut off the corners and fill in the holes and the take some plastic tubing and make corners from it , then cut out your new holes for the head lights, just below where the kit one were. hope this helps you out.

Doug