Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stovebolt Tri-5

I don't know the sump location, but the '50 engine is wrong for the '57. The engine in the '60 pickup kit would be appropriate. The 8 cylinder radiator is on the inside of the radiator support panel (as is the kit) but on the outside for a six to accommodate the extra length of the engine. And if you are working on the '57 Chevy car, you need the special snorkel type air cleaner. Ken Kitchen, Kitchen Table Resins makes that part.

The 8 cylinder radiator is on the inside of the radiator support panel (as is the kit) but on the outside for a six to accommodate the extra length of the engine.

That is correct, but for cars only. The trucks stil have the radiator on the backside of the core support, but the support is moved forward about 4" on the 1:1.

Bill, for curiosity's sake, what's different between the 1950 and 1960 engine visually? I honestly have never really seen much of a difference?

Thanks for the tip on the radiator. That would've given me fits for sure.

I was also aware of the air cleaner, and will be ordering one.

Charlie Larkin

The most visible thing would be the valve cover. The 1950 engine has the classic two bolts in the center, while the 1955 onward engine has the modern style of the valve cover having the bolts around the perimeter. It also has the Chevrolet script the length of it . I've seen a lot of models done with the earlier engine and it's immediately apparent..

Okay...the valve cover was about the only thing I could think of that was glaringly different. I realized that after I asked "what's the difference?"

So...anyone got a spare valve cover floating around? Worst case, I'll foil the cover I have and it'll have a "chromed valve cover" instead of a blue one.

Charlie Larkin

Besides the valve cover, the water pump is in a different location (much higher than the '60. The fan will end up lining up with the radiator upper tank), the lifter/pushod cover on the side of the block is taller and actually covers part of the head, the oil pan is different, and the visible parts of the head bolt pattern is different. Also, the '50 engine also has an oil distribution valve that the later 235s do not have.

Boy, it's amazing how much the "same" engine can change!

I had originally planned to use my '60 Chevy's engine in that....looks like that isn't going to work. I'll simply drop the 283 out of the '57 Chevy I'm using for all this in that instead. I don't see where I have much of a choice, unless someone has a spare whole '60 6 they don't want.

Charlie Larkin