Model Cars Magazine Forum

The lonestar is .....

Or an Accurate Miniatures McLaren

I'm not being critical of any one's building skills.....but I have yet to have a model beat me.

Some can be difficult.....some easy.....but a builder can over come issues that an assembler can't.

I built a bunch of McLarens for Accurate Miniatures. Tough builds but if I can most any one can.

It does take patience and some past experience. But it's far from 'unbuildable' as it is labeled often.

MCLARENAM-vi.jpg

After a few McLarens the Vette was a breeze.

AMVETTE-vi.jpg

My issue here is I have built 10-15 Moebius kits...cars, Sci Fi, Figures....all were fantastic. How they messed up this bad on ONE kit

does make me wonder. I did not plan on buying it but now I may have to just to see for myself.

The current issue of SAE and a few online reviews don't mention any of these issues either......so something

strange is going on here...........

The only fit issue I had and know of is the hinge location on the hood needs to be moved back or forward ( cant remember), but other then that, the only other fit issue I had with mine was the side vent windows, and the air cleaner hose's. Other then that no other problems that I can remember

ls1.jpg

ls6.jpg

ls2.jpg

ft3.jpg

Only issue I've had is that the headlamp reflectors seem to want to mount just a little bit lower than they should. Only the third semi I have built, and so far no serious issues. Yeah, the instruction diagrams could be better, but nothing on it seems to tough to figure out.

You guys are right frustration was what happen the fact I spent time in this kit painted had a issue stripped repainted. And had a another issue come up heck I thought from the way it was molded the tabs on bottom of cab happen to be part of the model.

Again could a better set of instructions made my issues less of it ??? I think so.

Yea I agree it's a sweet looking model. But ok the hood hinge mount I test fitted 30 times till I got it too where I think it's right. But because I wasn't sure I'm not sure if was right in the end. And with trying to get things right with that I end up braking my cab air bags so the model is just a box of great parts I trier re glueing but due to the wieight of the kit it's not holding

Im sorry this post turned into a war of sorts for a moment that wasnt my intention

I'm going to in the end buy me another kit And do it again I just wish I didn't loose close to 70 bucks in the end trying to figure out what I couldn't be told.

Also a issue I had was the list on painting that's the dumbest thing I've ever scene Great idea on using diffrent paint companies but the way it was grouped was a odd idea to me

I think alot of my hatread and anger for this kit snow balled right from the start and I did stop several times only to be slapped again buy another issue Look I've mabe my feed truck and hopper trailer from scratch and it wasn't as bad as it was with the lonestar. So yeah I think on e it started to head south it all went south so those who offered some help and confidence thanks I'm hopping maybe just maybe möbius will be willing to work out a great price on a kit ( with two twins on the way it's my only hope) I wanna make a Great model of a new tractor and in the end and my option this is a great truck to start with enough said!!!!

The only fit issue I had and know of is the hinge location on the hood needs to be moved back or forward ( cant remember), but other then that, the only other fit issue I had with mine was the side vent windows, and the air cleaner hose's. Other then that no other problems that I can remember

ls1.jpg

ls6.jpg

ls2.jpg

ft3.jpg

That looks great in white!

Well, some issues mentioned I feel to react.

First of all: Let's have some respect for one-another's building of models. Cars, Trucks, trains what ever. Everyone does a great job for them self. I personally have nothing with trains, plains or military but like to see beautiful models.

Like some of you mention. The Lonestar is a lovely model for most of the truck builders. Here in Europe the reissues of Italeri and Revell or ok but really a lot of the same. Just a new decal does not make a new kit. The way the curb kits of Italeri were are not what I'm looking for. For that reason I bought two lonestars to convert one into a daycab. The model is with engine and everything which I like very much. I did not start with it jet but am looking forward to.

I just finished a Freightliner DD by AMT and this is also a difficult kit as for fitting parts. I'm also working on a KW T600 by Revell, talking about a bad fitting kit.... I have already had several times the idea of putting it in the bin. Now I have decided to use the chassis for a Resin conversion kit an just trough the cab and sleeper away. The kit is already on my workbench for over a year and I just can't seem to finish it.

My idea is to give Moebius some positive feedback to improve their future projects. I welcome them and will also buy the Prostar. The trailer might be mine but I'm not sure about that. I hope you, Gary, will finish this model as you want it. I will look forward to some photo's of itAnd remember, not al the build must have price-winning qualities.

Hessel

the Netherlands

Edited by Hessel Hemstra

I have built this kit and agree with Garys first post ,this kit is trash , maybe the test builders of this kit should have noticed and reported the problems before it went into production, every point where the chrome parts are attached to the tree is where you can see it when its finished , the aircleaners are split in half right on the outside, fit ussues everywhere I raised the front bumper about a 1/8" and moved it back with the hinge about the same, shaved off the cowl where the hood sits about a 1/8" also so the hood would sit down straight and the engine is missing the intake side of the turbo these are just some of the things I noticed while building it, I just cant understand how it got into production with all these problems that would have been easy to fix before it ended up in our hands,

Edited by 73gmc454

This what happens when Pick Up, SUV and car model builders try and tackle real trucks. When i see posts saying "I'm not a truck builder, but..." I expect things like this. Maybe 300 pieces is too much for you.

Wow, that is quite a generalising and short-sighted statement!

I have yet to build a truck, but I have 3 laying around and I am not worried to tackle them. What does partscount has to do with being able to build a car or truck?

Edited by The Creative Explorer

Wow, I've been intending to buy this kit when I have some spare cash,.........but now I'm on the fence. When it first came out there was nothing but praise for the kit, and now its getting slammed worse than any kit I've seen ? Maybe cause people at first were just looking it over, and now they are getting around to building it ? Maybe some are expecting too much from this kit ? I guess for now I'll sit on the fence for a little longer.

Once I vet my computer back maybe can't do much from iPhone truth is it's strip down as a parts bin now I'm going to at somePoint get another and do a day cab with a feed trailer like I did for tri axle feed truck. I think I just need time away from this hobby. Rather this truck!!

So once I get my head strait I'll send some pics of a great truck because I'll know what to expect and what to adjust as I go !!!

After building virtually every model truck marketed in the last 40+ years I've yet to find one that didn't have some issues.The Mobieus Lonestar is a fine kit and I salute Dave and Moebius for taking a chance on it.I do however consider it to be a medium to difficult skill level kit. I suggest taking your time and being patient and any one can achieve a satisfactory result. I have found sometimes after 40+ years of model building you just have to put it back on the shelf and walk away or do something else for a while. The same problems some found in building the Lonestar you find in all kits be they AMT,Ertl,Revell or Italari. I find problem solving is much a part of modeling as creativity, painting etc. As far as the arguement about different types of modeling each one has challenges it depends on what you like. I've tried cars,planes milatary etc.they all have their own quirks. I build trucks because that's what I like.

I've been working on the Lonestar for a while. I have the Day Cab from Dave that I'm using. The instructions are the worse I've seen, I have a few parts that I do not know where they go. Some parts don't even have numbers on the tree's. After alot of work and moving things it's coming along. I also like how they tell you to paint the parts on the tree and then tell you to test fit the part, too many times did I have to paint a part. I'm going to have to learn about posting pictures.

I've been waiting to see if anyone would complain about one missing part. I've also not seen it in any of the photo's that have been posted. Question to everyone that has built the Lonestar. I see the Interior has a Clutch, but where is the Floor Shift? I can't find one?

I'm surprised to see such a negative response to this kit, given how well Moebius has done with their new Hornet kit.

I give the lonestar 2 thumbs up !! The minor problems with fitting and instructions are easily overcame with perservearonce and want to build the kit. Mine is not complete cause I. Have other projects that got my atention rightnow, however from what I have done it is a very nice model to build , but like mentioned above it is a medium to difficult skill level project , I think that's because it is so detailed.

I look forward to more model trucks and trailers from moebius

In my opinion there are no poor kits, only bigger challenges. Case in point...the Amt General Lee, quite possibly the most criticized and poor(and rightly so because it really is terrible in a lot of areas)models ever, yet I have seen a lot of builders turn it into a work of art.

300 pieces 20 pieces, doesn't really matter if you build a truck kit (or any other) with the mindset that it's just a bunch of little kits in the same box that make up a finished project all together.

How many parts does a 1:1 have? I've restored a couple of 1:1 vehicles, and I've STILL had a few kits give me a hard time. :lol: Not this particular kit, though.

Gordon- is that Lime Ice on yours? I was planning on painting one of mine that color.

Here are 31 photos of a Lonestar under construction - a few of these were used in the instruction sheet However only a few were used -

These have part numbers and should provide answers if you have questions regarding the exact location of parts.

This is one of several test shots that I built while we were developing the kit.

We have changed the format of our instruction sheets since LoneStar was produced. I think that the instructions in the Hudson are an improvement over the LoneStar instructions.

We are learning as we go - Suffice it to say that ProStar and Great Dane instructions will follow the format of the Hudson instructions not the format of LoneStar instructions.

Click here to see the photos - http://dmetzner.smug...20951335_4dFdS9 feel free to save them if you find them useful

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by Dave Metzner

Here are 31 photos of a Lonestar under construction - a few of these were used in the instruction sheet However only a few were used -

These have part numbers and should provide answers if you have questions regarding the exact location of parts.

This is one of several test shots that I built while we were developing the kit.

We have changed the format of our instruction sheets since LoneStar was produced. I think that the instructions in the Hudson are an improvement over the LoneStar instructions.

We are learning as we go - Suffice it to say that ProStar and Great Dane instructions will follow the format of the Hudson instructions not the format of LoneStar instructions.

Click here to see the photos - http://dmetzner.smug...20951335_4dFdS9 feel free to save them if you find them useful

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks for providing the photos. I bought 2 of these kits and was a little concerned about the directions. I have not started the build yet, but think these photo's are going to be a great help. And a Big Thank You for doing the kit and continuing to add kits to the line up. I hope you continue and make many more to fill my workshop!

Mike

Personally I would like to see a vocational truck from Moebius. Maybe an International Workstar with a dump or mixer body, or if possible, a Freightliner Coronado SD or Freightliner 114 SD. Even a Mack Granite would be most welcomed, especially in the Northeast where Mack has always been a very strong seller

I'll second that!!!

Dave,

Thanks for the reply to this thread, I hope this does not discourage Moebius from producing new kits. We realize when a company ventures in a new area there will be issues. As modelers we should be able to pass on criticism in a constructive way, yet also be thankfull for the effort that goes into a venture like this.

Thanks again,

Leo

You're not going to find a model company that takes the input of their customers more seriously than Moebius does. They not only listen to their customers, they act on comments and criticisms and work to make their products even better.

I don't think there's a more "user friendly" model company than Moebius. B)

I've been working on the Lonestar for a while. I have the Day Cab from Dave that I'm using. The instructions are the worse I've seen, I have a few parts that I do not know where they go. Some parts don't even have numbers on the tree's. After alot of work and moving things it's coming along. I also like how they tell you to paint the parts on the tree and then tell you to test fit the part, too many times did I have to paint a part. I'm going to have to learn about posting pictures.

I've been waiting to see if anyone would complain about one missing part. I've also not seen it in any of the photo's that have been posted. Question to everyone that has built the Lonestar. I see the Interior has a Clutch, but where is the Floor Shift? I can't find one?

no floor shift. its a automatic. delete the clutch.