Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin 67 Plymouth wagon/ Who makes it? / Updated 2/13

Some resin kits are accurate and high quality, some are not so much...this falls into the latter category. I do wonder why some resin casters even bother if they can't get the body shape and details accurate. This one isn't at the same level as a TKM resin kit though....

Exactly. If it ain't right..........don't do it. Then we won't have anything to complain about.

I am inclined to be just as fussy as some of the rivet counters on here but I've found it's not worth the stress. Just do your research and find the kits that match your experience level. R & R's stuff is quite primitive but I'm willing to work with it if it's all there is and it is just plastic after all. Another challenge to improve my skills :)

mike

The B pillar needs to be angled the opposite way that it's angled on the resin body-it should be angled back, not forward. The C pillar looks passable, bit that thin glass divider strip just ahead of the C pillar is also angled the wrong way on the resin body... it should angle back, not forward. The vent window divider strip, the B pillar and the divider strip just ahead of the C pillar should all lean back and lean at the same angle.

The D pillar is also going to need attention. Notice how on the real car it starts out much wider at the roof, then tapers and gets much slimmer at the bottom; on the model the pillar sides are almost parallel. Also, that little "kick up" where the D pillar meets the body is completely missing on the resin piece.

This one is a perfect example of something I've maintained for better than 20 years now: A resin transkit (or complete kit for that matter!) is only as good as the master model made to cast from. For that reason, the really top resin casters are very careful about accuracy, and work diligently to make sure that any model they cast is as accurate as possible given the limitations that can be inherent in such a project.

Art

• 2 weeks later...