Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Ford Galaxie 500 XL

Lovefordgalaxie

I finished this Galaxie yesterday. Started it last Friday morning painting the body.

It's a very simple kit made by Model King with the AMT molds, it's a curbside, and like the original Promo, it has some of the impressive and superior features of the fabulous Ford Galaxie written on the botton. Yep, I love Fords :wub: :wub:

I painted her the factory color of Guardsman Blue with automotive urethane paint, and cleared it with two part clear, also automotive from S&W.

The interior is the white and black vinyl option, and I fell in love with the combination after seeing a 1/1 Galaxie in that color combination at a car show.

Other than a parts box rear view mirror the Galaxie is box stock.

Thanks for looking!!!!

8548291515_a55bb8c324_z.jpg
1964 FORD Galaxie 500 XL by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

8548295131_4cfca61f8e_z.jpg

8548297477_f95f542dc7_z.jpg

8548298369_566f76a458_z.jpg

8549397346_d49676d8ef_z.jpg

8548300599_af6c1ab1c7_z.jpg

8549399826_ab91c145ed_z.jpg

8549401472_63f36b72e9_z.jpg

I'd love to see the original full kit brought back. It was one of the first kits that my Mom bought for me and if I remember correctly, it had working headlights and taillights (like the original full kit '64 Impala). I think I built it as a custom drag car that could race on an oval track :) . Hey, I was only 9!

Thanks for the comments guys :D

Always love to hear the feedback, positive and negative, so I can improve the builds.

I'd love to see the original full kit brought back. It was one of the first kits that my Mom bought for me and if I remember correctly, it had working headlights and taillights (like the original full kit '64 Impala). I think I built it as a custom drag car that could race on an oval track :) . Hey, I was only 9!

With some patience it's possible to find the full kit online, but it's a little (a lot) pricey...

All in all, I loved the Model King edition of this kit. It's really well built.

The body, interior, and chassis came assembled inside a tissue bage INSIDE a plastic bag!!

Same with the chrome tree:

8537583202_93edfd2dc2_z.jpg
New kits by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

8536481579_a4b69ac63c_z.jpg

The body itself had zero flash, and veru thinn mold lines near the "B" columns:

8536482975_e02507191c_z.jpg

8537587886_363044de7b_z.jpg

Here is the body about 20 minutes after I had painted it:

8539261363_1346da43bb_z.jpg
1964 Galaxie 500 XL WIP by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

The great thing about automotive two part clear, is that you don't have to buff it out, it dries very fast, and is as resistent as a real car's finish, because it IS a real car finish:

8540375108_cd0cc64f62_z.jpg

Edited by Lovefordgalaxie

Beautiful! Spectacular! Awesome! I really like the black wash detail in the front and rear grilles.

Just one suggestion (for the next time, too late for this one): If the grill has molded-in chromed headlight lenses, drill them out and replace them with chrome buckets from the parts box and clear lenses. It will make a big difference in realism.

The build itself was fast, because the model is very simple.

The chassis is one major piece and an "engine" underside:

8543924112_6b3f43f971_z.jpg

The interior is also very simple, all the seats are molded with the tube, you just have to add the dash, and steering whee/column:

8542826861_51826c0a2b_z.jpg

Looks great, Guardsman Blue is probably one of my all-time favorite colors, and not just because of its association with Shelbys, but because it's just a cool color!

And to add to Harry's tip, a little bit of pearl white paint on molded-in headlights works wonders, too, without drilling or altering the kit.

And to add to Harry's tip, a little bit of pearl white paint on molded-in headlights works wonders, too, without drilling or altering the kit.

Yes, good tip. A big improvement, and way easier to do than the full "drill out and replace" thing. In fact, Brett's tip can still be done now, on the finished model.

Thanks again guys!!

This is a beautiful build and it turned out great. The paint looks killer. What brand of automotive paints do you use. I am a big fan of PPG and House of Kolor. Again great job on this build.

I use Sherrill and Williams paint and two part high solids clear. PPG is great, but overpriced, and House of Kolor is mega hiper super overpriced around here.

At he paint store I always use to mix the paints, for the price of 250 ml of PPG mixed automotive poliurethane paint I can buy a liter of S&W. House of Kolor os about double as PPG. Having used all, I failed to see a significant difference in quality to justify this, so, Sherrill and William it is.