Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Ford Pickup Flip Nose

Clay

Clay,

If you have a clean sheet of glass and a straight-edge you can cut the stripe tape to any width you need. I've done it several times to get the size I want.

I'd pass on the green. To many colors can make it too busy looking.

Regards,

Well its a little too late, I painted the steps the Jade green, It they dont look right I will dip them and paint them black or the color of the truck

DSCF0226.jpg

Edited by jones_clayton

Well its a little too late, I painted the steps the Jade green, It they dont look right I will dip them and paint them black or the color of the truck

Clay,

Unless the steps are a feature that you want to standout, repaint them the color of the truck.

If you have the tools to cut the tape to whatever width you want, I'd try adding just a few pinstripes on the bed. That would tie the back of the model to the front and give you the contrast you're looking for. Remember, just a little says a lot in small scale. Try not to go overboard with the stripes.

Also remember that we never learn anything new without trying different things. Some will work well, some will suck, but in the end you will learn something new about modeling. That's why I've got a "few" boxes of started projects back in the garage that may never see the light of day again. :P

Good luck,

Clay,

Unless the steps are a feature that you want to standout, repaint them the color of the truck.

If you have the tools to cut the tape to whatever width you want, I'd try adding just a few pinstripes on the bed. That would tie the back of the model to the front and give you the contrast you're looking for. Remember, just a little says a lot in small scale. Try not to go overboard with the stripes.

Also remember that we never learn anything new without trying different things. Some will work well, some will suck, but in the end you will learn something new about modeling. That's why I've got a "few" boxes of started projects back in the garage that may never see the light of day again. :P

Good luck,

You should send those started projects to me so I can use them.

You should send those started projects to me so I can use them.

Careful what you wish for, my young friend...I am a strong supporter of our troops (which I believe that you are currently a part of). You never know what kind of mysterious model-box-shaped packages could arrive in the mail. :P There are several other members on this forum that have also received packages from me...and always to their delight! ;)

Careful what you wish for, my young friend...I am a strong supporter of our troops (which I believe that you are currently a part of). You never know what kind of mysterious model-box-shaped packages could arrive in the mail. :P There are several other members on this forum that have also received packages from me...and always to their delight! :P

It would not bother me if I did recieve a package or 2 from you or anyone :lol::P . Yes I am in the military, I am a Sergeant in the Marines. And I really appreciate yours and everyones support.

Ok all I need to do is finish up a few things like the drive shaft, rear shocks get some pinstripe and clear then glue it all together and it will be UnderGlass

Here I did one last mock to see how everything lines up.

DSCF0231.jpg

DSCF0232.jpg

DSCF0233.jpg

Look Ma no engine.

DSCF0234.jpg

Ok there is the finished engine.

DSCF0236.jpg

Hood closed.

DSCF0235.jpg

Need that pinstripe.

DSCF0237.jpg

And the drive shaft.

DSCF0238.jpg

Hey Raul or whoever give me some ideas for the bed.

DSCF0239.jpg

Thanks for looking, more updates to come.

Ok all I need to do is finish up a few things like the drive shaft, rear shocks get some pinstripe and clear then glue it all together and it will be UnderGlass

Hey Raul or whoever give me some ideas for the bed.

Thanks for looking, more updates to come.

Clay,

I'd try to lower the rear suspension a bit, probably put a small pinstripe around all four wheel openings and put a light wash of flat black in the wheels to make the spokes "pop". Either way, fear not, Marine, backup, oops...I mean better kits are on their way!! :P Looks like I've been watching too much Heartbreak Ridge! :P

RearFender-vi.jpg

Edited by Raul_Perez

Clay,

I'd try to lower the rear suspension a bit, probably put a small pinstripe around all four wheel openings and put a light wash of flat black in the wheels to make the spokes "pop". Either way, fear not, Marine, backup, oops...I mean better kits are on their way!! :P Looks like I've been watching too much Heartbreak Ridge! :P

RearFender-vi.jpg

I'm not quite sure how to lower the rear suspension, suggestions?

Either way, fear not, Marine, backup, oops...I mean better kits are on their way!! :P Looks like I've been watching too much Heartbreak Ridge! :P

I still have yet to see the hole movie in one sitting, Ive seen it all just not at once.

I still have yet to see the hole movie in one sitting, Ive seen it all just not at once.

Parts of it are a bit "corny", but I still like it!

How are you doing with getting your hands on that orange tape? I may be able to pick some up at the LHS if you can't find it at your end.

Raul

Clay,

RearFender-vi.jpg

How do I lower the suspension?

How do I lower the suspension?

I'm not familiar with that kit, but typically with a leafspring setup, you have a couple of different ways to go:

1) If the leafs and the axle are separate parts, either move the axle to fit between the leafs and the frame or, (if that's the way it's already setup), add a set of spacers between the leafs and the axle. The spacer option is easy. Measure how much you want the model dropped and make a set of spacers that thick.

2) If the leafs and the axle are one parts and you don't want to separate them, shorten the shocks and flatten out the leafs by carefully bending them. Once bent flatter, they'll probably need to be shortened slightly to fit back into their saddles. If you have to shorten the leafs, you should take equal amounts from the front and the rear of the leaf to better maintain the location of the wheel position in the opening.

Send me a PM if you need more help.

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez

Raul nailed it, I'll just add that you may have to cut the springs from the axle and add in your spacers.

53flipnose.jpg

Or get rid of the rear springs altogether & 4 link & bag it. :lol: A lot more work.

Ok I ill try my best at lowering this thing in a little while.

But right now I got a Dragster Build off to win :lol:

Thanks for the illustration, Kenny!!

Clay,

Here's how I'd lower this one. I'd cut it right where the red lines are. That'll probably get you at least 1/8" without too much work. With the guidpins gone, you'd just have to make sure that the axle gets centered correctly in the wheel openings, but that should be pretty easy.

If you don't want to shorten the shocks, you could always raise the perches.

LoweredAxle-vi.jpg

Regards,

Thanks for the illustration, Kenny!!

Clay,

Here's how I'd lower this one. I'd cut it right where the red lines are. That'll probably get you at least 1/8" without too much work. With the guidpins gone, you'd just have to make sure that the axle gets centered correctly in the wheel openings, but that should be pretty easy.

If you don't want to shorten the shocks, you could always raise the perches.

LoweredAxle-vi.jpg

Regards,

I will try but it will have to wait a little bit, I got to go to wal mart and then pick up my cat from the vet