Model Cars Magazine Forum

It may be a stock base pickup,but to me it still looks great! Not many will realize just how much work has went into this model. You made it look like it came out of the box that way! To me,nothing's as cool as a model built after a real vehicle no matter what it is. Great work Hugh! You can be proud of this one!

I can hear that 300 droning now...

Hugh, this is an excellent piece of workmanship. I am curious- do you happen to have any better pictures of the lap-joint you used to shorten the frame with?

Folks- take a moment and go through the build-up of this model. It's truly spectacular.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie and Mike.

do you happen to have any better pictures of the lap-joint you used to shorten the frame with?

Charlie Larkin

Charlie, I don't have any photos, but here is a sketch of the general idea.

halflap.jpg

I removed the material from the inside of the frame rails on the front section, and from the outside on the rear section.

Edited by basher

Very nice work!!!!!!!!!! I know exactly what all you did as I did the same thing when the F-250 kit first came out. I made it into an F-150 short bed though and it remained two wheel drive. For the F-150 side emblems, I took the F-250 emblem, cut it apart between the "-" and the "2", I then cut the "2" off, made a #1 out of tiny strip plastic, covered it with Bare metal foil and glued that assembly to each fender.

Have you got the fender badges worked out yet? (I read through your build thread)

Not really, Tony. I'm still trying to figure out a good cab to foil cast them from. Thanks for looking and for your comments.

Thanks, Jim.

Thanks, Dominik, I really like your GTX.

Thanks, Tom.

Edited by basher

Dang Ben! You must have great eyesight and little bitty hands! I can't hardly see the numbers on those emblems, much less cut them apart. Thanks for the compliment. Did you have to cut the frame twice to make a short bed, or did you leave it extended cab?

I wish I could say that I still had that great eyesight! :( It started fading in recent years. Mine is a regular cab, short bed. I cut the cab, interior, chassis, inner bed, outer bed sides, fuel tank, exhaust and drive shaft. I think that was everything? I'm pretty sure I cut a section out of the frame to shorten it, somewhere in the center. I did it when the kit first came out so it's been a little while. I still have it. There's pics of it in my Fotki albums in the "Light Commercial" folder. I painted it red.

http://www.public.fotki.com/lotso

Edited by Ben