Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Chevy TITAN 90 .....ORIGINAL ED?

• 6 years later...

I don't get it? Why is it when they reissue a kit, they don't reissue the most popular version of it?? A little research on EBay for a while would show which version sells the best. I get if some of the molds are missing or damaged or if certain licensing is required but sometimes it's just the box art that's different.

It was either this one , or its GMC relative (Titan 95) ...

Either way , that was 7 years ago already ( !!! ) . Time for a freshie ...

I don't think Round2 has reissued the GMC Astro/95 yet. Wonder if this Titan/90 will come with the bus mirrors.

-1970 was the very first edition red/white boxart of the TITAN90 (T-509), AMT did the very early version of the TITAN: corner side cab mounted mirrors, smaller "C" cab grab bars & lower back seats, the kit was available until 1975/76....

-1976 Amt "updated" the... "NEW"! TITAN (T-529) with new seats, top "Dragfoil", & new "S" side grab bars, the mold was slightly modified to ad the newer updated parts... so we got this later one in 2008. (the Titan had been out of production since 1983).

IF Round2 got us back the very first 1969 "T-500" California Hauler Pete 359 kit...

who knows with the first 1970 TITAN &...1971 ASTRO95 kits ;)

The original 1970 edition would have been a better seller, but R2 had to set with the latest mold available in its hands, wich was the T529 Dragfoiler ed.

The latest ASTRO95 RC2 reissue, a few years back, was also a latest updated version, (same updates as Titan90 + delete of Turbine Engine option). Corner mounted side mirrors have been "deleted" on the chrome tree of all versions since then, but a few original 1970/71 parts have been kept in both Chevy/GMC updated versions: Single muffler pipe, low back seats, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If this and the Astro share the same cab and essentially are the same kit, will the grille change? I remember the grille changed somewhere along the line with the Astro. My 56 year old mind seems to be forgetting things like this lol.

Yes, the Chevy Titan 90 and GMC Astro 95 grilles interchange. The 1:1 truck's grille was enlarged at some point, but that change was never made to the model.

Edited by Casey

I think some of the early issues of the astro had a flush mount grille,the later ones have a grille that sticks out from the body?.Myself i like the flush mount one better,not sure if the titan ever came that way?The flush mount grille installs from the rear side and the other goes in the front side.The last years of the astro had a grille that was very similar to the general truck,it was a lot larger,wasnt bad looking at all. harvey

1 hour ago, 37 caddy said:

I think some of the early issues of the astro had a flush mount grille,the later ones have a grille that sticks out from the body?.Myself i like the flush mount one better,not sure if the titan ever came that way?The flush mount grille installs from the rear side and the other goes in the front side.The last years of the astro had a grille that was very similar to the general truck,it was a lot larger,wasnt bad looking at all. harvey

That’s what I remember now. I had a few Astros over the years and the grille on the newer issue installs from the back side.

CTM also offers a photo-etched upgrade for the wide grille for both the GMC and Chevrolet. I don’t have one, so I wonder about the thickness, or lack thereof, of the grille shroud/bezel. On the 1:1, it looks like it comes away from the cab a bit. This may be something that could be more accurate in 3d resin than photo-etch alone.

Edited by vincen47

On 5/10/2023 at 12:20 PM, 37 caddy said:

I think some of the early issues of the astro had a flush mount grille,the later ones have a grille that sticks out from the body?

You have it backwards I did a thread on all the changes AMT did on the Astros. The Titan was the same but the Chevy Titan always had the Grille that mounted on the front not inserted from the back. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 12:32 PM, Oldmopars said:

Would there be any interest is a grill like this? It would update the Astro/Titan to the newer truck. I'm talking about offering a resin option of this grill.

20230306_141110.jpg

https://www.czechtruckmodel.com/us-truck-range/201-ctm-004-gmc-astro-late.html

https://www.czechtruckmodel.com/us-truck-range/199-ctm-004-gmc-astro-late.html