Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

Dragon did a series of race cars sometime in the 90's, one of those being a very rare First Union sponsored BMW. I've only seen one photo of this kit built up in a contest mag, and I've never seen it listed on any of the sites.

Come to think of it, I think I've only seen one of those elusive BMW kits, in another livery, listed on Ebay a few years ago.

I've gotten most of them. I bought a lot of models on ebay while deployed to Afghanistan. There's one that I'm still searching for, however. It's a Duesenberg made by Bandai. They made a copy of the Monogram kit and tooled up a new body for it. I've been told the body is not 100% accurate, but hey, I could fix it. They misspelled "Duesenberg" and called it 1/20 scale on the box.

I can't believe I forgot to mention my big Holy Grail, a MIB Monogram 1/8 scale 80's Camaro. I've seen several of them on EBAY, but they always go for big bucks. I wish Revell would reissue it, or any of the other 1/8 tools out there

I would have to say the AMT 28 tudor, does anybody re-pop that in resin? Johan's 60 Desoto or Plymouth wagon would be next. That is all I can think of right now. I got the Aoshima Celica, but another would be nice. The 70 dart will soon be attainable when the Hemi Hunter comes out. I can kit-bash with the 8 billion 68/69 darts that I have. The trunk lid will be easy to replicate as it is just flat shapes. I will come up with more as time moves on :)

Like I really need more model cars....:oops:

As far a "grails" go, I've been real fortunate to get just about any of them I've "needed".

The best one was a mint MPC 1968 Impala that a buddy GAVE me. He said I needed it.

I just got this pair at the B-ham show. Built a '68 a long time ago, always wanted another. The '68 was sealed inside, the '69 has a slight fracture in the A piller. Got a great deal on the pair.

IMG_1304-vi.jpg

Another recent addition that I looked about 6 yrs for is a Palmer '68 Impala.

The real grail though is a Bandai 1/16th scale GT40. I have one that my Dad built BITD, I pretty much trashed it as a kid, still have all the big parts minus one wheel/tire. It would take alot of work to bring it back though.

P.S. Ken, one of my grails was a AMT '28 Ford Tudor. Got a nice built up on the 'bay a couple months ago for $15. It had a typo in the title listing "28 Model A Frod"

Ken-

I have an AMT '28 Tudor Sedan. It's MIB or nearly MIB. I got it from a guy at HHMB. I asked a question about it & one response was that they're out there "if you know where to look". Well gee, I e-mailed the guy and sure enough..... So hey- go to HHMB and ask about it. He had several at teh time. It won't be 15 bucks, though. Mine was $65.

I've gotten lucky enough to score most of my grails, I LOVE MPC Mopar annuals and especially Chargers. I have most all of em. I am only missing the 72 Rally and a 73 and 74. I have some of the CUdas and Challengers plus a few other cool originals Like Johan 70 Road Runners and Superbirds. Even a JoHan 68 Chrysler 300.

Most of em I have either traded for or just lucked into at shows or through buddys.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I was looking through some of my favorite kits today that are still unbuilt and going through them and drooling <_< . When I lift the lid there is this over-powering feeling of ecatacy that comes over me, and dream of the day I may actually build it :rolleyes: . All of these I bought on evil-bay years ago when the price was justifiably affordable. You bid and win - ahhh the excitement. Then you have to wait! Finally, after the exciting wait, one day the mailman gets out of their truck with a package, and you spring to the front door even before they get there. It's CHRISTMAS !! Yahoo !! This is almost like having your first kid :o - Well...you know :) !! Package in hand, you just hold it for a while. Then you slowly remove the wrapping and slide out your treasure :D . The artwork is beautiful. More beautiful even in person. >Some of us love the artwrk !!<

Then, finally, you remove the cellophane or tape and sloooowly remove the lid. It's stunning and your thrilled. You go through all the sealed packages or loose tree's slowly, ever so slowly, and take it all in. There's only a few experiences better than this.

My buddies are all the same way.

How about you guy's? What are your fav's and do you get excited too :rolleyes:

Here are a couple of mine. Even though I'm a street rodder by nature and love customs, these kind of kits really grab me.

2008_0617Photobucket10014.jpg

2008_0617Photobucket10015.jpg

This one, especially has a ton of parts and is done beautifully!

2008_0617Photobucket10013.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

I might photo them up later...

but here goes a few off the top of my head.

Heller 917

Tamiya Rothsman 956

UT Porsche 911 GT1 EVO

Testors GT40

Protar Ferrari 250

Protar Ferrari 512

Fujimi Ferrari P330

Fujimi Porsche 74 RS IROC type

Testors Porsche 930

Testors Porsche Turbo

Here is a lot of them anyway

rare7.jpg

Peugeot 905

rare5.jpg

rare4.jpg

rare3.jpg

rare2.jpg

Tamiya Porsche 934

kits1.jpg

kits2.jpg

obviously there not all grails but quite a few.

and there are a few more not in these shots.

Edited by CAL

my holy grails tend to change as I discover kits that I hadn't heard of previously the latest is the amt dirt hauler but mostly I like discovering stuff I never heard of before recently I found a custom hard top by a company called monte'. early sixties radical cutoms aren't my usual fare but since I have the top I'll give it a go .models031-1.jpgnewone002.jpgvintage.jpgzoo008.jpgzoo007.jpg

My holy grails are really not all that hard to come by: Monogram's Lil' Coffin and Polar Lights guillotine. I built both when I was a kid and now I have new kits sitting on the shelf, waiting for the day I can commit to building them in a way that will do them justice. Or maybe I need to build them as glue bombs, to resemble the models I built back then... :D

Holy Grail! That should be the kit you want more than any other.

But like many my grails change when I think of something.Sometime it is the kit other times it is the box art.

Well here is my list: *=got it

Rommels Rod (Original)*

Li'l Coffin*(original)

Tamiya 1/12 Tyrell(Jackie Stewart)*

Airfix B17 Flying Fortress with Roy Cross artwork*

Airfix 67 Pontiac GTO(for the Box art)

Aurora Skiddoo

Revell Cadillac Eldorado brougham*

Revell Lincoln Futura*

Revell Ford Country Squire*

Revell 56 Buick

Johan 61 Plymouth Fury

Well thats a few and only one plane kit in there. Probably a few more will enter my head later.

John

most of the grails I want are resin and i'm too cheap to shell out the $$$$ for them, these are the kits I can think of off the top of my head (*means I have it)

AMT Subaru Brat* (new AMT please reissue this one)

AMT VW Scirroco (and this one AMT)

AMT VW Rabbit (and this one AMT)

MPC Olds Toronado* (I got a 67 built up, but i'm still looking for other years

Aoshima 95-99 Subaru Legacy wagon, with LHD Dash

MPC 1/16 1979 Firebird

Monogram 1/8 Camaro IROC Z (This is THE holy grail for me right now)

MPC Chevette* (got three now)

Revell VW Corrado (stock coupe, not the convertible)

I know I'm missing some grails but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head

this is a neat topic! if i was to make a list or take photos, it would take more time than i want to do it lol

i have some favorite cars that just aren't made anymore, so they are vintage kits and vintage built ups that need restored. i don't collect anything, value is not important...in fact i build collector kits! the reason i bought them is because i liked them so much and want to build them and put in my case. when i die, none of this will matter so i am not hoarding a 'retirement stash".

some of my favorite cars i have are 67 galaxie, 62 galaxie, 61 starliner etc...hmm, maybe it would be kinda fun to take photos of this stuff and group it together.....

Due to a health scare last year, two of my "holy grails" found their way to my workbench. One (International CO 4070) sits completed on my "finished shelf" and the another (Mack Cruise liner) is nearly done. My last grail (Big Deuce) found it's way to me by my kids this past fathers day! :o:D I'll start that one soon...... :lol:

Rick

Edited by Rick