Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Impala Convertible Basket case some have seen this.....

Mj-Styro

Talk about your Org. issue kit that was in need of the trash can.......

BUT i couldnt Throw it out! i said lets fix it!! heres the pictures so you can follow along

heres a before Picture

MVC523S-vi.jpg

Time consuming but i was able to fill and file the gaps so they all lined up to what you see here

MVC524S-vi.jpg

Heres the start of the work on the interior tub opening that was the man problem with the kit when it was built,After carfefull trimming of the passenger side interior tub i was able to save the top of the door and vent posts which were broken and stuck the to interior tub

MVC537S-vi.jpg

After alot of work and sanding the sanding still goes on,mixed up some two part putty and let it flow into the cracks etc.heres how it looks after it was cured

MVC543S-vi.jpg

Comparing the interior tub opening with an Org 1967 Impala Conv't on the right

MVC546S-vi.jpg

And here it is in color! may not be 100% perfect but looks 100 times better then the before...........color i shot thru my Airbrush (Paasche VL) color is Kiln red

MVC561S-vi.jpg

Thanks for following along and hope i got everyone up to speed,and sorry for the poeple that may have seen this before...............

i have quite a few of these restoration nitemares............More to come later.................

Nice work.

Restorations like this are some of the most rewarding kind of modeling I've experienced. Can't say I've done one this involved, but I've taken some pitifully damaged promos in my life (of cars that are hard enough to find in kit form) and brought them back w/a modeler's touch. They were too far gone for anything other than parts, and I don't worry over potential paper value as they're my models and not intended for resale.

This was a $5 swap meet purchase that included broken windshield pillars and every custom part in the box glued to the body. While not a resto like the above masterpiece, it WAS an affordable vintage kit to cut-up. I'm sorry I don't have the before pictures.....

AMT `59 Buick Sled

59Buick1_jpg-vi.jpg

The interior was shot so I scratch-built door panels and floors. I also added some tunes.....

59Buick2_jpg-vi.jpg

Thanks Guys!!!! thats what i have been doing the last 4 years and got really good at it,then 6 months ago i was burnt out and really didnt wanna do it any more,i dont wanna stick my foot in my mouth but everything i worked on came out pretty good then there was apoint i could fix them in my head just by lookin at them.........thats when i got burnt out......

BUT! thank you for the comments!! and John! Way to go!!!!! thats also a very nice blue!!!! fits it well!!!!

if i can get Fotki to bare with me i have a few more i wanted to show you all...........

and with that being said i am almost ready to start the thrashing again on plastic and resin :lol:

• 3 weeks later...