Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/4 Scale Hemi ! Size Comparison

This is something I've been working on for the last 7 or 8 months , a little bit here and there . It's the Testor's 1/4 scale Dodge 426 Hemi built straight out of the box . It was a fun distraction from building kits with all those little pieces I can hardly see !

My only complaint with the kit is that even at this size the carburetors are lacking alot of detail .

Thanks for looking .

BOB .

Edited by TooOld

That builds up nice. Is it pre colored or did you paint it all ?

It's all plastic , molded in clear and dark gray and some really nice chrome . It is a working visible V8 just like the old Revell kit , but alot more detailed .

I did the same thing with mine, painted half and left the other half clear.

Yours look a lot better than mine though.

Everybody else, this really is an awesome kit.

Even if you aren't into Mopars it is an amazing build.

It could even be a really good instructional tool on how an engine works.

Thanks Bonekrosha . How about some pictures of yours ? I'm sure it looks okay .

If anyone is interested , these kits can be found on Ebay . Some are pricey , but deals on open kits turn up quite often . I got this kit ( orange box ) for $21 plus $18 shipping . I also picked up the Race version ( green box ) for $25 plus $16 shipping . Hawk makes the same kits without the working internals . I've seen them for as little as $10 bucks !

Edited by TooOld

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking with a friend last night who wanted to know how big this engine really is . So I thought I'd post a couple of pictures so everyone could see the size of it .

The first picture is with my 1/25 Hemi Wagon .

This is with a 1/18 scale hemi engine .

Edited by TooOld

• 2 weeks later...

I had an old one of these when I was a kid, it was pretty fun to build, I spent many hours sitting at the coffee table building this (the living room coffee table was my workbench, I don't know how my mom kept from killing me!) I forgot to oil the internals so it didn't work very well.

• 4 months later...
On 7/22/2012 at 6:52 AM, RAT-T said:

LOOKS REAL NICE

I HAVE THE HAWK VERSION OF THIS, THE BLOCK IS WHITE METAL & DOSEN'T FIT THAT GREAT, BUT THE REST OF THE PARTS LOOK PRETTY GOOD

Not the same. this is a larger 1/4 th scale , i believe the Hawk, Revell, Liberty kits are 1/6th

5 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Not the same. this is a larger 1/4 th scale , i believe the Hawk, Revell, Liberty kits are 1/6th

HI GREG, THE HAWK VERSION I HAVE IS 1/4 SCALE, I HAVE A FEW 1/6 SCALE MOTORS & THE HAWK IS GIANT COMPARE TO THEM. I WISH THEY MADE A 1/4 SCALE EARLY HEMI, THAT WOULD BE COOL

Very nice build!

However, there seems that there is something odd about the ignition wires and the  distributor cap.  The wires seem too thin, and the nipples on the distributor also seem too small (too much space between them).  This is not a fault in your build - they came from the factory like that.

Edited by peteski

On 7/16/2020 at 2:50 AM, peteski said:

Very nice build!

However, there seems that there is something odd about the ignition wires and the  distributor cap.  The wires seem too thin, and the nipples on the distributor also seem too small (too much space between them).  This is not a fault in your build - they came from the factory like that.

You're absolutely correct .  The plug wires and boots are way too small , just another of several things that are just "off" with these kits . 

4 hours ago, TooOld said:

You're absolutely correct .  The plug wires and boots are way too small , just another of several things that are just "off" with these kits . 

Yeah, the Revell 1:6 scale version I built seems more accurate (but it has none of the inner parts).  And I still needed to add bunch of details to it.

RevellHemi87.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...