Model Cars Magazine Forum

Psssst...wanna See More Of Jada's Shelby Gt500?

Zoom Zoom

What is this? It's a molded-in-white plastic 1/24 Jada "Big Time Muscle" Shelby GT500. Got it at Hobby Lobby (kits are 30% off this week), after seeing Steve Lingrenn's Camaro from the same company and being impressed with that kit (aside from the ridiculously big wheels) I decided to take the plunge. Boxart itself is awful, the boxart model looks terrible especially in front, it's clearly their diecast model with plenty of detail differences from the plastic kit in the box.

Body is pretty accurate. The hood looks a little "puffed up" because the shoulders are radiused rather than having a slight chamfer. The arc of the upper side window molding is a little flat. All lenses have chrome buckets, door handles are separate, interior side panels are separate and have a separate arm rest, so 2-toning is easier. Seat engraving is very nice, instruments/AC vents are a separate chrome piece that mounts through holes on the backside of the dash. Engine details are reasonable. Chassis is tubbed to allow for the ginormous wheels. Pegasus 23's fit the wheel openings nicely.

I'm not worried over the wheels/tires, I want to make this a mild street machine and don't need stock wheels/tires. For that this kit looks about perfect. It's slightly larger than the Revell Mustang, but it's not big like all the Jada diecast, it's definitely 1/24 and not 1/22. Ford is picky about licensing and proper appearance. So far this and the Camaro are much better than expected. The Camaro has got the AMT kit beaten in interior accuracy/detail, and the body is clean and crisp and has the proper engraving that AMT missed.

Don't let the cheesy boxart fool you, these kits are better than they appear. Can't wait to get Revell's GT500.

IMG_3892-vi.jpg

IMG_3893-vi.jpg

IMG_3894-vi.jpg

IMG_3895-vi.jpg

Edited by Zoom Zoom

Is it plastic or diecast? Did you strip and paint this one, or is it moulded in white??

Ron

White plastic, came out of the box just as you see it. The glossy finish is amazing, makes Revell plastic seem like it's from milk jugs by comparison. I have no idea how it will react w/various paints.

The models in this series are not from diecast tooling. They're all plastic, and well-detailed. They have the GT500, a Ford GT, Corvette C6 (body has an aero package), and Camaro Concept. People in our hobby aren't used to seeing an all-new plastic kit from a diecast manufacturer. If they were to improve their boxart and boxart builds, I'm sure they'd get a lot more respect. These are great models that can satisfy younger builders and have enough detail to inspire old ones like me ;)

I checked Maisto 1/24 Mustang CV concept wheels on this model, looks like they were tailor-made for it.

I didn't even know Jada was DOING plastic kits...It's news to me! Are they all the big wheel style? If so, I'll pass. Not much that's too interesting there for me. If they were to do a Mustang Convertible, however, I'd be all over that one. The only one that really interests me anything enough to even consider buying is that Mustang you've posted.

Do you have a photo of the box? It doesn't sound good but I'd still like to see it.

People in our hobby aren't used to seeing an all-new plastic kit from a diecast manufacturer

You're right about that Bob, UT models ones released plastic kits from an Opel Calibra and a Porsche (both racing cars) and they tanked, cuz almost no one knew about them (exposure) or took them seriously cuz they were first of all a diecast manufacturer.

Too bad really....and I will keep an eye out for that Mustang

Kind Regards from this side of the big pond.

Luc

...The models in this series are not from diecast tooling. They're all plastic, and well-detailed. They have the GT500, a Ford GT, Corvette C6 (body has an aero package), and Camaro Concept...

How does the Ford GT compare to the Polar Lights kit? And how much of the Shelby kit will easily interchange with the Revell Mustang GT?

How does the Ford GT compare to the Polar Lights kit? And how much of the Shelby kit will easily interchange with the Revell Mustang GT?

I have no idea how the Ford GT is, the boxart model is a lot better than this one so I assume it's a properly-proportioned GT with oversize wheels. I have enough of the Polar Lights kits that I don't need another Ford GT. Someone else can buy that one and compare!

The Shelby GT500 is 1/24, so it's slightly larger. The hood is wider than Revell's. I wouldn't worry over using these parts on a Revell kit, since Revell is doing a Shelby GT500. Would be a waste of time IMHO to take this kit for parts on a Revell GT, when Revell's about to offer their own GT500. This is a good kit for people who are 1/24 scale bigots (plenty of them from everywhere other than the US). I'm happy enough with this kit since I'd rather build a "tuned" or slightly non-stock GT500. I'm ultra busy w/work, I'll try to find time to compare Revell vs. this kit w/some photos later.

Okay, a few more photos. Model is the same size as a 1/24 Maisto GT. Therefore Maisto wheels fit it just fine. I tried it w/std. GT wheels, Concept CV wheels, and Infiniti FX wheels that look like the love children from Parnelli Jones and Saleen GT's. You can see the chassis has decent detail, and is tubbed for the wider tires. I didn't shoot the bling wheels from the kit, nor the clear parts. Note the boxart model has opening doors and the grille isn't inset. Obviously was a Jada diecast, it's got a lot of differences from the actual plastic kit in the box. Jada has really surprised me with this one. They beat Revell's Uptown kits handily, and thankfully avoided the silly scissor doors. Both Jada and Revell need to learn how to do effective boxart photos, especially when it comes to pictures of the actual model.

IMG_3897-vi.jpg

IMG_3898-vi.jpg

IMG_3899-vi.jpg

IMG_3901-vi.jpg

IMG_3902-vi.jpg

IMG_3903-vi.jpg

IMG_3904-vi.jpg

IMG_3906-vi.jpg

IMG_3907-vi.jpg

IMG_3908-vi.jpg

Wow, look how narrow that rear axle is to make room for their dish-o-rama wheels. Otherwise I really like that chassis which can be detailed better than the Uptown kits. I saw a Jada 2009 Camaro on the shelf which had wheels that weren't as humongous as their usual offerings, maybe scaling out around 20". I wished they would include those wheels more often.

Does the hood have those metal bars like the box art? I really disliked that part of the Revell Uptown kits.

Looks good though. I'm glad they didn't "Dub-out" the wheelwells like that other (don't want to upset the fanboys again) model manufacturer did to their tuners.

Wow, look how narrow that rear axle is to make room for their dish-o-rama wheels. Otherwise I really like that chassis which can be detailed better than the Uptown kits. I saw a Jada 2009 Camaro on the shelf which had wheels that weren't as humongous as their usual offerings, maybe scaling out around 20". I wished they would include those wheels more often.

Does the hood have those metal bars like the box art? I really disliked that part of the Revell Uptown kits.

It's kind of ironic, the wheelwells on this kit are greatly exaggerated for wider wheels, where Revell's are too narrow to fit any custom wheels w/o major surgery. Anyone bent on making a pro-street should like this chassis.

There is no engraving on the underside of the hood, nor are there hood hinges, nor any firewall detail. That piece is completely smooth.

The folks that license Ford products are pretty demanding for accurate looks when a kitmaker comes calling.

Revell's GT500 and GT350H kits are now slated for late June. I certainly hope they're not tooling wheels to fit the tires they put in their GT. That would be tragic.

• 1 month later...

I'm finally rolling towards completing this kit after finishing a trio of review models.

I painted it Cobra Colors Windveil Blue; not a Shelby color, I've seen several Saleens in this color and I had gotten the color based on how good the Mustangs looked in this shade (except on a CV that had a tan top... ;) ). To me they look best in the tamer colors. Tonight I hope to have the black trim painted and the white stripes applied.

IMG_4132-vi.jpg