Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some time ago I was driving from a city called Blumenau back to Florianópolis when I decided to stop at my favorite spot to dring a caldo de cana (a refreshing soft drink made with sugar cane)

I had the Galaxie parked in front of the place and was drinking my caldo and looking at the car, when a Dodge also parked. That Dodge had a sweet sweet sound, mellow and very musical. No way it was a 318.

I asked the guy what was the secret to "fix" the Dodge's exhaust note, and he poped the hood:

4829371337_a0e5f67f89_o.jpg
4829982424_56b49ef52e_o.jpg
4829982564_785278461a_o.jpg
Yes, that is a 272 Y-Block Ford V8.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Y would anyone put a lesser horsepower engine in a sweet looking MOPAR.. Big heavy Y block, had hard time getting out of its own way, none the less passing anyone. Had one in my 60 Ford race car(DOG), beyond getting it for free, I was always last. Never again

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pic of a cool car ! I love those Brasilian-market Darts !

I'm glad that you derived some pleasure out of that engine swap ( :P ) ! Ha ha ha !

If I wanted to make you cringe , Tulio , I'd find the photos (buried in storage) that I took of the 1954 F-100 which had its first-year-OHV-Ford-V8 yanked in favour of a Long-Ram Chrysler 413 (with the matching A-488 cast iron TorqueFlite !) .

If I wanted to make you cringe, Tulio, I'd find the photos (buried in storage) that I took of the 1954 F-100 which had its first-year-OHV-Ford-V8 yanked in favour of a Long-Ram Chrysler 413 (with the matching A-488 cast iron TorqueFlite !) .

How about posting those here on 1:1 when you find them? I'd like to see that setup - how did they rig the pushbuttons? Was it a drag racer or street machine?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

No Mopar engines in Brazil?

Yes, three kinds actually, one with a cam specific for trucks, another for regular Darts and Chargers (198cv) and the hotter cam, higher compression version for the Charger R/T, that had 215cv

They were all 318s with two barrel carburetors. The "normal engines" were painted light blue, and the Charger R/T engines were painted gold.

Here is the engine on a 1977 Charger R/T:

8029029873_7f83741d0d_c.jpgMaycon's Garage 26/09/2012 by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

[ Brasilian Dodge Darts' engines] were all 318s with two barrel carburetors. The "normal engines" were painted light blue, and the Charger R/T engines were painted gold.

Here is the engine on a 1977 Charger R/T [ Brasilian Dodge Dart ]

8029029873_7f83741d0d_c.jpgMaycon's Garage 26/09/2012 by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

That's some new info for yours truly ! I have only seen the gold coloured engines ( and silver in Mexico-built , Mexican market V8 engines ) . The 'light blue' is the same as the "1972 Blue" engine colour as the U.S. market engines ?

I also recognise the 1969 & earlier radiator . Makes me wonder ; was the stamping / tooling sold to the Brasil assembly plant ?

That's some new info for yours truly ! I have only seen the gold coloured engines ( and silver in Mexico-built , Mexican market V8 engines ) . The 'light blue' is the same as the "1972 Blue" engine colour as the U.S. market engines ?

I also recognise the 1969 & earlier radiator . Makes me wonder ; was the stamping / tooling sold to the Brasil assembly plant ?

I don't know if it's the same color. It's a light tone of blue.

post-9892-0-91013500-1401413494_thumb.jp

Those cars started being build in 1969, only as four door sedans, and the two door hardtop came in 1970.

If Chrysler do Brasil brought from the U.S. the tooling? I would say it's possible.

In the case of the Galaxie (my cup of tea) I know that the production of the 1966 body style here started while the car was syill in full production in the U.S. and that Ford do Brasil made the tooling based on the engineering plans sent from Dearborn in late 1965.

I think Chrysler should had done about the same thing.

Edited by Lovefordgalaxie