Model Cars Magazine Forum

Realizing my age

So this last week I heard there was a band I really liked playing downtown. So I got a couple tickets for The English Beat and I mentioned I was going to a friend and he said he wanted to go. I grab a ticket for him. So saturday night comes around and we all meet up. Mid way through the show I ask, my buddy adam(22) how he is liking the show and like a slap in the face he replies "i like this old music". Oh boy did that hurt. But no it didn't end there. After a few adult beverages and being up til 3 am . I woke up this morning realizing I can't do stuff like that anymore without paying the piper so to speak. Now I threw off my whole schedule and I'm wide awake at 1am with appointments to go to in 5 hours. I finally know I'm not a teenager any more.

Dave, I feel you, and only being a year younger then you, last night(Saturday) we went to my brother from another mothers Halloween party, I was deejaying for his party, and driving, so I wasnt not drinking, the G/F had a few drinks, anyways we got home close to 1am, got sleep around 2, no biggie but we have a 14 month old.

But I know what you mean, its no fun being at party's when you are not drinking, but its funny though, we were talking about what you brought up, its just not fun anymore going out late, then having to get up earlier, well its not easy like it use to be.

Let me preface by stating that I'm 42 years old (at least chronologically :blink: ) , so I'm guessing that you and I are around the same age .

I've long been a fan of "old" music / bands / styles , even in my youth . Certainly , the 80's "Wave" scenes offered-up quite a bit of cool sounds ; sounds that were largely influenced by (predominately) Garage / Underground / Avant Garde bands . Groups such as Velvet Underground , MC5 , Stooges , Arthur Lee & Love , The Fugs , etc. , etc.

I was also a fan of , shall we say , a lifestyle wrought with uppers , downers , laughers and distillations ; I ansconsed myself with these libations .

I stopped drinking in March 2002 , and haven't looked back (though I do miss a properly-served Ale or Stout from time-to-time...).

When I even *mention* my alcohol consumption in an anecdotal capacity , I become slightly , briefly ill .

When I recall my liberal intake of , say , Adderall , Vicodin and Xanax , It's amazing that I'm still alive ( ha ha ha ) .

If I stay awake past 02:00 HRS , I feel like I got hit by a bus the following day !

I used to stay up 'till 04:00 on weekends , and often until sunrise . "It's hard to leave when you can't find the door" .

By the way , have you had the chance to peruse "Please Kill Me" or "Velvets to Voidoids" yet ?

Well, I remember staying out til 330AM, going to bed only after feasting on a Jack in the Box taco, breakfast jack and fries after a night of imbibing and partaking, then going to work for 8AM the next day (Saturday). Of course, this was back in 1977 when I was 22... Now, the wife and I are dozing on the couch, watching Ghosthunters at 930PM. Not too long ago my late night build sessions could last til 3 or 4AM, depending on the situation. Now, I'm lucky if I can keep my eyes open past 11 or midnight. Life do change as one gets older.

"It's hard to leave when you can't find the door" .

life's been good to me so far.

I am more in tune with ringo star.

No no no no I don't "sniff" anymore. I'm tired of waking up on the floor.

I still have an adult beverage once and awhile except for saturday my last adult beverage was St. patrick's day :D the other stuff it's been quite a long time since I touched those kind things.

I'm 42, I can barely stay up past 10:30 most nights....part of that is I usually get up at 5:30 on weekdays...so I can get to the office between 7:30-8. On the weekends sometimes I'll stay up till midnight....I used to stay up late Saturday nights to watch F1 but just tiVo it instead and watch on Sunday mornings. I can't drink the way I did in my younger days, don't like hangovers.

It was about 20 years ago I realized I wasn't bouncing back from an evening of debauchery like I did in my 20s, and that the recovery time and associated misery just wasn't worth it any more. But old habits die hard, and it was another 5 or so years before I was over that lifestyle entirely.

And it's good. There's no doubt I'm healthier now....though I'm 10 or 15 pounds too fat, I can still do physical labor all day long, or hike 15 miles and enjoy it. I also don't spend any time making excuses for anything party-related, like what I did or said the night before. And no missed appointments or opportunities. Not a bad trade, in my opinion.

Haha I feel you man. Before after a six pack we were just getting primed and ready to head to the club for the night. You give me a six pack now Im ready for bed haha. Just cant hang like we used too but rest assured I wish I had a dollar for every night I spent a $100 + at the club, ID be a millionare lol.

I caught the English Beat (with Fishbone) in concert at the State Theater in St. Pete last year- it was an amazing show. Just saw the Psychedelic Furs Saturday at the same venue- another great show. I'd rather see a show at a small venue with a bunch of people my own age (40-ish) any day as opposed to going to a big stadium show with a bunch of twenty-year-olds. And yes, there were many libations involved during (and after) both shows, and there was much staying up late and consumption of greasy Waffle House cuisine after. And I definitely paid the piper the next day, but it's the occasional late night that makes you appreciate actually getting eight hours sleep all the other nights!

Edited by jaymcminn

Yeah guys... All you 40's and younger folks sure will be surprised how nature treats you in......oh......say another 20 or so years...... True I've had my share of liquid libations over the years and I still have a fondness for a couple of good cold ones now and then, and an occasional visit from good ol' Jack D. or Captain Morgan.... Back through the early 70's and into the 80's (until my kids came along) I also had my share of various "substances" :wacko: Fortunately I lived through it all and didn't let either booze or drugs either ruin, or run, my life...... At 53 I had a series of (fortunately) mild strokes because I didn't take care of myself properly up to that time. At 65 I still enjoy a few drinks now and then but nowhere near the quantity or frequency that I did years ago.... as has been said above...... I hate hangovers, and, they seem to last longer the older you get. I find myself enjoying a midday nap occasionally, and also have a problem with sleeping through the night...... my doctor calls it... Insomnia... who knew..?? I sleep for 2 or 3 hours and I'm up... another 2 or 3 hours... and I'm up again...

As we age I guess we all have to just "go with the flow" and realize that we can't live it up like we did in our younger days, we have to use moderation and common sense. I do find that I have more patience in the modeling hobby now than I did 50 years ago...

Saw the English Beat back in June, they put on a great show. A couple of friends took me for my Birthday. I attribute not going out to shows to me being fat and out of shape now. When I was young, we used to go out at least every other weekend to either a gig, or a club.

I have an uncle who is 72 I went up to visit him stopped by his house and his gf said he was at his warehouse. I go to his warehouse foolishly looking for him on the ground but found him up 30+ feet in the air walking a beam and welding on rafter. I look at him and can't imagine doing things like that at 72!!!!!

I never drank,smoked,or any of that other nonsense but I still can't stay up way too late anymore,especially to do an extended model project.If I DO try it it becomes counter productive.My attention span goes to hell and I start messing up the model project.Then the next day my thought processes are so sluggish it feels like I'm mentally wading through muck.This getting older business isn't for the faint of heart!