Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stupid things people say at car shows

Jantrix

There was a guy that brought a Pro Stock Ford Fairmont to the show on a trailer. He started it up and moved it into place where he was instructed to park it. I had seen this Fairmont at the strip a few times and it was not streetable. You should have heard the dorks commenting on the noisy trailer queen. I told one big mouth, "hey, it's a drag car, and it's not streetable" and the guy just looked at me like he was the smartest monk at the top of the mountain, and he said, "then he should have left it home"....

Gotta admit though not every single person who is wrong about the car on the car shows is a tool, sometimes you meet some good people who are just curious and don't know much about the field of classic cars.

very true..... but.......

those are the people who will start the conversation by asking a question or 2, not making a statement which comes from someplace other than their mouth!! i love to teach people about cars, my car, especially the younger people. never, well try not to, banter anyone. if they are asking questions, no matter how off the wall, I will answer, if it's one of those jackbutt statements telling me what's wrong with my car.......

It seems like everyone who has seen a car magazine on the shelf of their grocery or drug store is a "car expert" and many can't tell the difference between a Charger and Coronet either.

True, but keep in mind those cars are over 40 years old...the general public who may not be car enthusiasts wouldn't be familiar with such old car details...

Gotta admit though not every single person who is wrong about the car on the car shows is a tool, sometimes you meet some good people who are just curious and don't know much about the field of classic cars.

I think it's important to separate the folks who have limited knowledge, but want to learn and so they ASK QUESTIONS, from the folks who think they know everything and run off at the mouth, spouting wrong information, trying to seem like experts.

I'll spend a LOT of time with someone who really wants to learn something, but I don't have ANY time for some clown who knows nothing and seems mission-bound to prove it, and who's content in his ignorance.

Personally, there's WAY more I DON'T know than I do, and the only way to learn more is to be aware of what I don't know, and to LISTEN to those who have the information.

There is an episode of Leave It To Beaver where Wally buys an old car that doesn't run for cheap money.

Beaver asks him how he is going to fix it and get it running when he doesn't know anything about cars.

Wally's answer is that he is 16 years old, and once you turn 16 you automatically know everything there is to know about cars.

There are a lot of Wallys out there.

Edited by Nitro Neil

How about in a hobby shop?

Many years ago a small group of car modelers were in a Brooklyn, NY hobby shop one Saturday morning. A new guy came in and wanted to get into the conversation, and no doubt impress everyone that he was indeed a 'big fish'. So he spins this story about how his models are so good that he won Best of Show at NNL East. He continues on that the judges were very impressed with him and he won a trophy the size of a floor lamp. He then tells them that he's best friends with John Slivoski, who was president of Tri-State and ran the NNL.

What was wrong here? John Slivoski was one of the guys he was telling the story to and everyone else there knew it. Everyone just held their tongues and let him go on. Eventually he left and there were howls of laughter.

Facts - This guy probably hadn't even entered NNL East. The show as NEVER awarded trophies nor are there judges. And John didn't know this guy from Adam!

Several years ago I ran into one of those blowhards at a Frank & Son toy collector’s show. He had a bunch of built up cars he was trying to sell, and since it is more of a toy & diecast show I stopped at his booth to check it out.

He was friendly and talkative and started telling me how famous he was in the modeling community and how he wins the best of show at all the contests he enters.

I thought that was interesting since at the time I was very actively participating in most of the So Cal contests too, yet I did not recognize him. So I asked him what contests he had won the best of show(s) at.

He told me a specific annual “southern area” show held earlier that same year. I told him that wasn’t true, as I had earned the best of award at that show.

He back pedaled and said he made a mistake, “it was the year before”.

I countered with the truth that I had won best of show there last year too.

Undaunted, he switched venues and said he just got mixed up; it was at another show held that year “in one of the desert areas”. Nope, sorry, I won that one too.

He employed the same “year mix up” excuse again, and again I had to point out as the actual person to have earned the award, I knew he was fibbing. He tried to save face and came up with yet another venue, which I had also attended and garnered the award he was trying to claim he had.

All of this in front of his buddies who at first thought I was making up stuff, but soon realized it was their “fearless leader” who had been caught on a major embellishment run. I purposely left the show particulars and the person's name out, for all I know he is on this forum...

Ironically the friend I was with was the same guy I met when that idiot was arguing to me about what year my car was…

We both were wondering as we left the show "What is it with people who have to make this stuff up?".

And I'm always impressed by the guys who put an ad up to sell their own car.. and they spell the car name wrong! Camero, Valient etc. You've owned the friggin car for how long and you can't spell it???

And it's the same guy who can't take a picture of the car. The ad contains photos that show sky, the ground, part of the car. How can you aim the camera at the car and miss?? Over and over??

That issue worked in my favor 30+ years ago when I bought my (first) Camaro. Misspelled and listed as having a brown interior as well as some other items that made no sense. I must have asked the seller 3 or 4 times what color the interior and exterior were before he finally said, "Oh it's black, the car is brown." (There was no photo in the ad.) I think that him telling everyone the interior was brown allowed me to be the first bidder on it, and it was in the paper for a good three weeks by then.

If you really want to hear some goofy questions at a car show, enter a Cadillac hearse... I had a '76 Caddy, with Cragar SST wheels, a 500 C.I. factory engine, a Grant GT steering wheel with the center name plate removed, and a skull and crossbones "pog" that fit in it (2 teenage girls had to test it to make sure the horn worked). It needed a lot of work, so I entered it in "under construction". I was told by the "Premier Cadillac expert", that cadillac never made a 500 C.I. engine, and that mine had a 395 C.I. in it.

Other questions cracked me up, were the ones that make you wonder...

Is it haunted?

Do you still use it to carry dead people?

How many bodies can fit in there?

Aren't you scared to drive it?

Does it start by itself?

And the questions go on and on... :lol:

Here are a couple things I hear a lot at mini truck shows. Most mini truckers ride into a show with either the front of our truck up or the entire thing lifted off the ground. When we pull in, we generally find a good spot, hit the switches, and dump all the air out of the airbags. There's usually at least one that calls them "lowrider trucks" and immediately AFTER hearing the air dump, ask if they have hydros. There is quite a bit of difference in lowrider and mini truck style. Yes, some mini trucks have hydros. Yes, some small trucks are done lowrider style. But seriously, what do they think that big long "psst" they just heard is? A blow off valve? :blink:

Edited by Skydime

Here are a couple things I hear a lot at mini truck shows. Most mini truckers ride into a show with either the front of our truck up or the entire thing lifted off the ground. When we pull in, we generally find a good spot, hit the switches, and dump all the air out of the airbags. There's usually at least one that calls them "lowrider trucks" and immediately AFTER hearing the air dump, ask if they have hydros. There is quite a bit of difference in lowrider and mini truck style. Yes, some mini trucks have hydros. Yes, some small trucks are done lowrider style. But seriously, what do they think that big long "psst" they just heard is? A blow off valve? :blink:

What you mean I call my mini truck a lowrider

Brad, you have a mini truck, you get a free pass on that one. ;) I guess that was just a half conscious rant on how there are people who really give us mini truckers a hard time. The lowrider thing is more of a pet peive (SP?). It's just that, I've alays felt mini trucks are a certain niche that you either get or don't get. And the attendees usually get it.

I don't know how I got so far off topic. But my real gripe, that inspired me to chime in is when people ask me why anyone would ever want to do that to a perfectly good work truck.

Edited by Skydime

This is tangential but humorous.

Several years ago I had a 1960 Austin Mini. I was driving it down one of our main drags on a Saturday night when the cruisers gathered at a local drive-in. I pulled up to the light and a guy in a 66-67 Charger was backing into a parking space and stopped even with me. He looked over at me and said, "You got a hemi in that?". I saw that his car had 383 emblems on it so I said, "No. It's JUST a 383".

I take my Meyers Manx to quite a few shows every year, and I always have to hear about "The one my dad built, only it had a "Porch" motor in it", and of course every other dune buggy there is a "Gen-u-wine real Myers Man-x".

The best one was the guy parked beside me with a 351 2bbl Mach 1, who bad mouthed my "under powered junk furr'in" car all day. I left at the same time he did and had the front wheels off the ground when I blew around him. I let the turbo blow off beside his window!

Edited by Craig Irwin

About 15 years ago, one of my daily drivers was a Porsche 550 Spyder replica (Beck). A truly remarkable number of people would say "nice MG", even though the car had Spyder scripts on the front fenders and Porsche badges on the front and rear decks. I guess they were thinking MGA...what with the fenders looking a little similar...maybe...to a blind person. (images taken from open internet sources)

spyder_11a.jpg

0_MGA__Nittis_sd_view__W.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I over heard this comment while looking at a 427 Cobra at a car show this year.

"Wow this is an original!"

"Really, how can you tell?"

"Cuz its blue with white stripes and only the originals are blue with white stripes. Its actually illegal to paint a non original one blue with white stripes."

If it was mine I would have fed him a mile long line of bs about how its a super rare experimental model, only one ever made, it was custom by Shelby himself and thats why it has a fuel injected 5.0 in it.