Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tony Stewart Case Goes to Grand Jury

Danno

Yes the rest of the story. The family will indeed take him to court! Irony of the whole situation is how the father came out and made damaging statements about Tony from the get go! Being a father I can't even imagine what the Ward family is going through loosing a son and my prayers go out to them.

Litigation will not bring their son back. They will never get over the loss of their son! I hope they try to move on with their lives as soon as possible to let the heeling begin.

Truly a tragedy! The young man used very poor judgement. Wheeling a spirit car when stone cold sober is a handful in itself. Impaired not so good, I hope others learn a lesson from this!

I have no horse in this race, and I really don't care... but with the turn of events... isn't life interesting? Ya never know what will happen next.

And ya know.. the family can take Stewart to civil court, and I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that he was stoned becomes inadmissible! :lol:

You know, my Dad is a retired railroader and there were a number of pedestrian or car vs train collisions he was called out to that involved alcohol or other intoxicants and most of the times the driver drove around the gates just as the train was approaching or even drive into the side of a train that's already there! Most of the time they were intoxicated and he thinks some were suicidal and using alcohol as "courage" the railroad as weapon and additional "insurance" money for their families' since the road was always sued for negelegence (couldn't stop the train in time, ect) and then would lose those suits filed against them and have to payup money to the grieving family. Now not only does that cost them money, but if the involved train had perishables and or time sensitive stuff on it, that cost the road money, then having the train upwards of 8 hours late cost them money, having to repair the damage done cost them more money, then even worse, the engineers in the cab get it worse, they get the horrific knowlege that they have killed somebody through no actions of their own...............I'll bet you that there are a number of these folks out there that know exactly how Stewart feels.

If you think pot makes people get out of their cars wanting to fight, you've been severely misinformed. Pot stays in your system for weeks. The fact that they found it in his system means absolutely nothing

No, but if it helps in making stupid ideas reality............like walking onto a dark road way, in dark clothing, in low visibility conditions, it's not mis-information. I've seen people do that too often while completely sober, but if that intoxicant muffles that little voice saying "Hey Dummy, this'll get us killed, don't do it!", that makes it all the more worse.

No, but if it helps in making stupid ideas reality............like walking onto a dark road way, in dark clothing, in low visibility conditions, it's not mis-information. I've seen people do that too often while completely sober, but if that intoxicant muffles that little voice saying "Hey Dummy, this'll get us killed, don't do it!", that makes it all the more worse.

I have no idea what you're talking about. What does walking in an alley with dark clothing have to do with rage?

I have no idea what you're talking about. What does walking in an alley with dark clothing have to do with rage?

Nothing with anybpossible rage from either party, but it has alot to do with stupidity on the part of the person who walks out onto a some form of motorway dressed like that in those conditions. Ward got out of his car on a dark stretch of track at night in dark clothing and walked towards traffic, I'm just saying a decision on how good or bad of an idea that is could be affected by intoxicants. Would he have done that withouth having an intoxicant in his system, maybe, maybe not, I've seen what I assume sober parents do that with their kids in tow between home and work across a, thankfully, low speed section 4 line highway near work in a wealthy suburb no less and I'm sure if you add something to loosen how tight the standards are on the Good Idea/Bad Idea gauge, this would happen more easily.

If this kid was infact stoned on track and got disoriented enough in the spin, he could have seriously thought that getting out of his car to wave down traffic was a good idea, that can be dangerous on any kind of driving surface unless the car is burning, let alone that situation.

Ontario County (N.Y.) District Attorney Michael Tantillo said on Wednesday that neither of the enhanced videos from last month’s Sprint Car race in upstate New York shows Tony Stewart driving recklessly when he hits and kills Kevin Ward Jr. In clearing Stewart of criminal charges, Tantillo said a second, unreleased video shows “no aberrational driving” by Stewart. He added, “[The two tapes] were pretty important pieces of evidence.”

Before taking questions, Tantillo made this statement:

“This week, an Ontario County grand jury has been meeting to hear testimony and review evidence gathered in the Tony Stewart matter, relating to the death of Kevin Ward. The grand jury has completed its investigation. During the course of the presentation, approximately two dozen witnesses testified. These included a number of race-car drivers, racetrack employees and volunteers, two accident reconstruction experts, medical personnel and a number of police officers. The grand jury reviewed a number of photographs and video recordings, as well as other documentary evidence. After listening to and questioning all of the witnesses, and reviewing all of the evidence, the grand jury has determined there is no basis to charge Tony Stewart with any crimes.”

So, does anyone here have any evidence to add ? :huh:

Edited by Greg Myers

From the AP:

A few hours after Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo announced the grand jury's decision in this upstate New York hamlet, the Ward family indicated in a statement read over the telephone by sister Kayla Herring that they will seek civil damages in the young driver's death.

The family might have a difficult task: Tantillo disclosed that Ward was under the influence of marijuana the night he died and said two different videos were enhanced, frames were isolated and viewed at at least three different speeds and finally overlaid with grids and data. Both showed Stewart had done nothing wrong.

"The videos did not demonstrate any aberrational driving by Tony Stewart until the point of impact with Kevin Ward, at which point his vehicle veered to the right up the track as a result of the collision. Prior to that, his course was pretty straight," said Tantillo. He added that toxicology evidence from Ward's autopsy "indicates that at the time of operation he was under the influence of marijuana. The levels determined were enough to impair judgment."

It's lucky Ward didn't kill or injure anyone else! - pot or alcohol in whatever quantity do not mix with driving any car in any situation let alone a racetrack. If anyone else is fool enough to race cars while 'refreshed' then hopefully they'll wise up after this tragedy. It's not just themselves they're endangering.

Edited by DonW