Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's an interesting artical on Revell's "Miss Deal" Funny Car

Interesting, but the author misses that Revell at that time would have been in Venice, CA. They didn't move to the midwest until the Monogram merger in the mid-80's and have only been located in Elk Grove Village, IL for a handful of years.

There's some logical rain on the old parade! LOL.

The story I've always heard is that it's basically a Parts Pack chassis and engine mated to the body from the still-born stock 53 Stude they were working on when they got wind that AMT was doing one, too. Rather than flood the market with 2 stock 53 Studes, they chose to modify it into the Miss Deal. Throw it all into a classic Jack Leynnwood box and the rest is history...

Front suspension is basically from the Dragster Speed Equipment parts pack, not exactly, but basically. And similar wheels and tires were done in parts packs. So maybe I should have said chassis from parts pack parts?

DSCN7531.jpg

Edited by Brett Barrow

The Miss Deal frame is essentially the Parts Pack chrome custome frame, the steering wheel & linkage is from the dragster C1124 dragster parts pack, and the engine is a re-pop of the chrome Chrysler engine pack. What's great about the Miss Deal kit is that you can clone some of the old Parts Pack - derived kits, without shelling out big buck$...

The photo of the copper-colored Stude can also be found in the book Drag Racing Gassers by Lou Hart, and I admit Miss Deal immediately sprang to mind when I first saw it.

The book was published in 2007 and is loaded with great reference photos, that particular photo being credited to the authors scrap book.

• 1 year later...

I think it is just coincidence. The kit was put together using parts packs and a dead project Stude body. Given how late Revell was getting into the Funny Car Scene, 1967, this was already a pretty outdated design.

What was the dead project the Studebaker came from? Was Revell doing a stock one, or some Bonneville record car?

• 3 years later...
On 5/8/2013 at 11:02 AM, Brett Barrow said:

The story I've always heard is that it's basically a Parts Pack chassis and engine mated to the body from the still-born stock 53 Stude they were working on when they got wind that AMT was doing one, too. Rather than flood the market with 2 stock 53 Studes, they chose to modify it into the Miss Deal. Throw it all into a classic Jack Leynnwood box and the rest is history...

Anybody have a body close by for reference?

I'm sure the body is heavily modified, but is the roof area close to stock with window frames and driprails? If it is, I'd like to graft the roof to an AMT Stude to make a coupe variation. Any info?