Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Ever Diorama

m408

Tried to post this a few minutes ago. Didn't seem to work, so if this comes up as a duplicate, please forgive me.

Some time ago, I posted that I was running out of room on my shelves for my models. I had an area in my living room that was used for wine storage. Got rid of the wine and made it into "Fast Eddy's used car lot". With a whole lot of help, tips, and ideas from you all, it got done. Got a camera, kind of learned how to use it, and with some more help, got some pics posted, I think. Still don't know how to do individual captions or comments, so will try to post them all. I'm sure that you can figure them out. Comments will be appreciated, good or bad, since I am a real newbie at this.

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Thanks again for all the help.

Now that Sarge has helped me how to post pics, I thought that I would go into the build details. I know to most of you this will be old hat, but there may be some out there who have had my same situation and do not know how to proceed. Again, this from a newbie with a lot of help.

The height of the area was way to big so I made a base to raise it out of poster board. Nothing fancy, just some hunks about 6" high held in place with masking tape. I knew that the surface would be exposed to morning sun so I opptied for a gray base to fade over time.

The far background buildings are HO scale from an on line railroad model source. The side buildings are G scale, a little larger, to try to give some depth to the overall scene, same source. The fence is squared off popsickle sticks trimmed and stained.., and secured to the walls with 1/8 thick double back tape, again to add a little depth. Figures are held in place by "pinning" them. A short pin inserted into feet and about 1/8" into the surface. They can be moved without much obvious damage.

Figures are available from a bunch of places, painted or not. Cat, dog, and pidgins, along with the scale models in the office, are from the LHS.

This has been a fun build. New thing to me, and allows me to "mix and match" my models in the used car lot at will.

I hope that this will inspire others to find a place for their "extra" builds so that their friends and family can view and enjoy them.

WOW! That looks like it was a lot of fun Milt. Great use of an area that isn't used any more. Neat idea and great use of HO and 1/2" scales together. Looks great!

It was great fun Mike. Very different methods from car building. Everyone should do at least one. Will give you a greater appreciation for some of the dioramas posted here.

• 2 weeks later...
Could you put up a link to your photobucket? Pics have been removed.

Marc

Shoot Mark, I don't know how to do that. I'm really a rookie at this stuf. I guess photobucket deletes things after a while. Will try to repost, or get a paid photobucket account. Anyhow, will do what I can.

Shoot Mark, I don't know how to do that. I'm really a rookie at this stuf. I guess photobucket deletes things after a while. Will try to repost, or get a paid photobucket account. Anyhow, will do what I can.

Here they are Mark, at least I hope.

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

Hope that it worked. Comments appreciated, my first try at a diorama. B)

Great job! :D I really like how you integrated it into an otherwise useless section of wall. The cars look well built as well. I like the two Deuce roadsters you got there, too. :o

Thanks Jonathan,

Having never done a diorama before, it was great fun. Had a whole lot of help rfom guys on this forum. How to do this, where to find that etc...

The cars look better in the pics than they really are. Not very skilled, but have fun building and that's what a hobby should be about. Main thing about the "car lot", is that I can rotate new cars as they get finished. ;)