Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best way to paint vinyl seats?

I'm returning to the hobby after a 25 year hiatus.

How do you paint your vinyl seats to look realistic?

I am working on a bench seat for a '31 Model A.

Rattle can?

Airbrush?

Regular brush?

Brands of paint?

Thanks in advance!

I've had success using a simple method that looks convincing and easy to do. The seats on this Corvette were painted with Testor's Enamel Flat Red. Once dry, using my airbrush at a distance of about 12 inches from the seats, I lightly airbrushed two coats of gloss clear. This will give the seats a slight vinyl sheen. Go very easy and play around with the distance and the pressure from the airbrush until you are satisfied with the results.

post-510-0-01453000-1403755993_thumb.jpg

post-510-0-55272900-1403756004_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the replies!!!!

Is there any chance that I could use a vintage bottle of "Testors Glosscote Lacquer" over the flat enamel painted seats?

The bottle that I have is definitely from the mid to late 1980's. I bought it at a thrift store, I think, and it is identical to a bottle that I had back then.

I've never used the Glosscote Lacquer.

Also, will the Glosscote Lacquer clean up with regular mineral spirits????

Thank you for helping me be a better builder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would think gloss coat from a spray can would not work well... you really have to mist it and the spray coverage is too course to have it look uniform without getting it too glossy. Would need to use an airbrush.

* DISCLAIMER: I'm no pro either, could be wrong.

I usually do this, spray your seats with a flat paint like the others. let it set for a day or 2. flats usually dry quickly, but I have had my best results in letting it sit for a while. then just use your finger and rub the seat. the high points will get a little sheen going from the oils that are always present in your skin and the low points will stay a little flat or darker and give your seat/door panel a little accent. try it, try all of them, you will find one that works well for you.

have a great day,

Tubbs

I usually do this, spray your seats with a flat paint like the others. let it set for a day or 2. flats usually dry quickly, but I have had my best results in letting it sit for a while. then just use your finger and rub the seat. the high points will get a little sheen going from the oils that are always present in your skin and the low points will stay a little flat or darker and give your seat/door panel a little accent. try it, try all of them, you will find one that works well for you.

have a great day,

Tubbs

and rub your finger on your nose .. and up the .. err..

but really .. will pick up a bit more skin oil .. :)