Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cadillac Sts-v Deblinged

ismaelg

Hello,

Although my current main project on the workbench is not a car *GASP* (it's a helicopter), I started working on this a while ago. This is the Uptown Cadillac STS-V. I was not going to post it until more progress, but I saw Steve's gorgeous built of the same idea. So here it is.

Deblinging Cadillac STS-V. My idea is not a factory stock, but an elegant performance ride.

First order of business: I don't like sunroofs. Not in 1:1 and even less in scale. They never look right to me. So out comes the putty.

DSCF6717b.jpg

Now you see it...

DSCF6718b.jpg

Now you don't

DSCF6720b.jpg

Doors as well as hood and trunk were extended with styrene to tighten the gaps.

DSCF6849b.jpg

This is quick 'n dirty project, so doors, hood and trunk were glued shut

DSCF6850b.jpg

I'll go a different route on the door handles. I actually carved indentations and will do handles in styrene.

DSCF6933b.jpg

After the color coats and ready for clear.

DSCF6934b.jpg

Duplicolor Cherry red pearl from a spray can, Duplicolor clear. This is a quick 'n dirty and fun project so I used spray cans.

I'll leave the body to dry for several days before polishing it.

I'll work on the interior next. Still not decided on wheels, but I have several choices.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

You guys are killin' me! I bought a second STS-V to do in metallic red. But I have a stack of projects ahead of it that won't budge :):)

Looks great B) Can't wait to see how it ends up. I found some spoked wheels from a Maisto diecast that look very similar to the stock STS-V; same ones that I'm using on the 300C SRT-8 and Touring.

I can't believe Cadillac doesn't offer the STS-V in red! I think their STS-V color palette was determined by a funeral director B)

That's comin' along nice Ismael! I'm glad you're doing that to the doors-----tightening 'em up and all. That's one beef I have with the kit, although I'd do that if I had cut the doors out anyway. :)

I really really wish they would have done a CTS-V though.............that's one that's sorely missing in the new car kit lineup!

The sunroof delete is a good idea--------it looks cleaner without it. I thought about doing that to my Magnum, but I think they're standard on SRT-8's so I left it alone.

hey ismael, missed you yestarday, in the show of luciano, its was great

Couldn't make it this time. I was in Cabo Rojo with the cub scouts and then some kids birthdays. It was a crazy weekend. But I plan to be in Nov at the Caguas show.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

This is a quick build just for fun, taking a break from serious and complicated projects.

I was going to leave the interior alone, but I just can't stand the big speakers (or woofers or whatever they are). So out it went and replaced with sheet styrene.

DSCF7091b.jpg

Nothing better for a quick build than a hardware store spray can of flat black :angry:

DSCF7098b.jpg

Thanks,

I should have known better by now! ;)

Major setback on what's supposed to be a quick project. Since this was going to be a "quick one" I painted it using Duplicolor spray can and clear. Well, 4 weeks after that, which should be plenty of time to dry, I started polishing. It was going good but I noticed it was not getting the shine I was hoping for. So I started polishing again. During the process I noted new fingerprints on the body. Long story made short, it seems it never dried, but the top clear was. Then I looked carefully and it was cracking at the edges. I tried to save it several times but it was a lost cause.

Having this been a stock body I would have just forget about it. BUT: I'm NOT going to loose all that bodywork. Prepare to meet Mr. VX primer and Cobra Colors paint.......

But I won't be able to work on it at least until Monday, and I'll leave on Wed for Atlanta. There goes the quick build :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Getting back on track.

I didn't stripped the old paint since the bodywork could have been damaged. So I carefully sanded it down as much as possible before going back to primer stage. Once the primer was done I started misting color coats.

DSCF7104b.jpg

What do you know! Just 2 mist coats of Corvette Anniversary red LACQUER and it is already looking better than all the Duplicrap before. I'll do a few more wet color coats before clear.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

After more than 3 weeks I was FINALLY able to get some workbench time this morning. I even forgot what I was working on ;)

I wet sanded with 4000 the first color coats on the Caddy and airbrushed all color coats of Corvette Anniversary red LACQUER . Still pending clear and polishing and all that but the color coats are done.

DSCF7198b.jpg

DSCF7200b.jpg

Thanks,

Love the color choice. That has always been a great color on the 40th ZR-1. I may have missed it, but wheels are you going ot use?

Thanks! I'm not sure yet on wheels and tires. I have a few choices I need to look at. I want it to be elegant yet sporty and agressive at the same time.

As for the color, this is not 40th anniversary Ruby red, but rather 2003 50th anniversary red. They look similar but Ruby is metallic while this one should be tricoat pearl and just a hint darker.

Here is the body after clear was applied. I will put it away for at least a week before polishing.

DSCF7209b.jpg

DSCF7210b.jpg

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

The body has been polished. I LOVE LACQUER!!!!!! The paint effect is weird. It looks bright red pearl in direct sunlight, wine color if it's a bit overcast, and purple-ish in artificial light. I am very happy with the polishing process.

DSCF7417v.jpg

slightly overcast

DSCF7400e.jpg

under shade

DSCF7418w.jpg

direct sunlight

DSCF7412q.jpg

DSCF7409n.jpg

DSCF7422aa.jpg

On this pic you can barely see the pearl effect in the C pillar.

Unfortunately the model will not be ready for the show this weekend.

What do you think?

Thanks,

I thought Duplicolor was lacquer...?

Duplicolor offers some lacquer products. In fact, their new body shop line is supposed to be acrylic lacquer. But the touch up spray cans, especially the older ones, are some sort of hot enamel. They seem to have several types of formulations, probably depending on changes in regulations or something.

Thanks,