Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Cuda, all aluminum hemi

vintagedragfan

VERY nice! You make it look so simple!

thanks Allen

Brilliant solution, Bill. Looks like you've got the creativity dial turned t 11

keep feeding us

hey Alyn, what ever it's turned to makes my head hurt! I have done a lot of studying just to get to this point, :wacko: whew!

Looks great in brass! we are about at the same point of work today but yours had to take a lot longer then mine did for sure!

thanks Chas, I do have a lot of time in this thing!

I have a question on your suspension design. I see you have the lower control arms swapped around in two different pictures. Are the open cups supposed to face down, and the 00-90 bolts screw up into the struts and get capped on the bottom? In the bottom picture the open cups face UP, or reversed. Just trying to clarify which end is up, or down ....

Otherwise, carry on with the awesomeness.

John, they aren't swapped, in one pic the chassis is upright, the other upside down, the cup opening is on the bottom, and the disk will cover that, hopefully this will give it a nice clean look, thanks for the interest

Awesome stuff Bill, Really dig the strut setup.

thanks so much bro

The bottom two pictures the arms are orinented in the same direction while the chassis is flipped. That was my question. So the 00-90 bolts go up into the struts inside these cups, and the bottom gets capped? Cool....

Edited by FASTBACK340

regarding the your ball joint solution, I was wondering if you have an internal gap between the bevel head screw and the covering cap...

it's possible that the head of the screw may knock the cover cap loose during extreme travel if it's a real tight fit, unless you bevel the slotted side of the screw also.

what, no torsion bar suspension? bummer. ;)

amazing work anyway, excellent solution for the "ball joints". :)

regarding the your ball joint solution, I was wondering if you have an internal gap between the bevel head screw and the covering cap...

it's possible that the head of the screw may knock the cover cap loose during extreme travel if it's a real tight fit, unless you bevel the slotted side of the screw also.

hi Mike, yes I left plenty of room for it to move freely and not contact the cover, sorry about the torsion bars :( thanks for the interest

got a little more done, the struts are finished, they are drilled and tapped on each end and all so for the spindle, there is no adjustment on the front suspension, so I figured the caster and camber as close as I could, here are the lower control arms and struts togetherIMG_1522-vi.jpg

here is what I'm doing with the upper strut mounts, I drilled holes in the frame for the mounts to slide into, should be plenty strong for the working suspension, I will add another support from the frame to the top for extra support

IMG_1523-vi.jpg

should have another update tomorrow nite with this all completed and functioning (hopefully) thanks for checking in

Bill.... I am at a loss for words Bud. Your craftsmanship is just awesome and you are a talented person. That front suspension is blowing me away and looks killer. Amazing work and you are doing all this in 1:25th scale. Very impressive. Looking forward to your next update.

thanks so much for the encouraging words Ken, they are truly humbling, you should share some of your builds with us, I know everyone would love to see them, sorry to hear about your Road Runner, that would be heart breaking for sure

Hi Bill, sorry for the delayed reply, got tied up....lol. I still have some more to finish on my builds, I am currently in Malaysia and most of my stuff is back in the States. I am trying to finish up my 68 Roadrunner and will eventually post some pics here, nothing compared to you guys builds, I am still a newbie :unsure:. Yeah, I still have not got over my loss of my 'baby' :( it's been 8 years now.

I am still awed by your work. and yes, there are some awesome builders here and I am learning some great techniques.

Awesome front suspension build :o !!!!!!

Best of luck with your build, can't wait for the grand finale

Edited by Rdrunner

Bill.... I am at a loss for words Bud. Your craftsmanship is just awesome and you are a talented person. That front suspension is blowing me away and looks killer. Amazing work and you are doing all this in 1:25th scale. Very impressive. Looking forward to your next update.

hi Chris, this is a 1/24 scale, it is HUGE compared to 1/25 :huh: well it does help a little, you are to kind bro, thanks so much

Hi Bill, sorry for the delayed reply, got tied up....lol. I still have some more to finish on my builds, I am currently in Malaysia and most of my stuff is back in the States. I am trying to finish up my 68 Roadrunner and will eventually post some pics here, nothing compared to you guys builds, I am still a newbie :unsure:. Yeah, I still have not got over my loss of my 'baby' :( it's been 8 years now.

I am still awed by your work. and yes, there are some awesome builders here and I am learning some great techniques.

Awesome front suspension build :o !!!!!!

Best of luck with your build, can't wait for the grand finale

ya Ken we are all ready to see some of your work, hopefully you will get back to them soon, thanks for keeping up on the project!

Geez Bill! Great stuff. I'm either going to have to get a prescription for anti depressants or quit following this build. Everytime I look at your work it really makes me feel unworthy. Partly because I actually went to school to become a machinist back in the seventies so I know what is involved. I'd be happy with just 10% of your talent! I have a new idol!!

Chris

Now that is funny right there!

lol, thanks for checking in Mark!

Just asking but why not put the hoop connected to the top of the frame rail to give it more relistic look? or is this need to get the right angle for the strut?

hey Chas, as you can see by this picture, there isn't really enough room to come off the top of the frame with a loop, but I will run another bar or two from the top of the frame where I can, it was just simpler

to do a loop this way, one way or the other I was going to have to come from the side of the frame any way thanks for the interestIMG_1362-vi.jpg

Geez Bill! Great stuff. I'm either going to have to get a prescription for anti depressants or quit following this build. Everytime I look at your work it really makes me feel unworthy. Partly because I actually went to school to become a machinist back in the seventies so I know what is involved. I'd be happy with just 10% of your talent! I have a new idol!!

Chris

thanks so much Chris, I was planning on coming down there to the Farmers Branch show this week end, I was hoping to meet up with you there, but, I am not going to make it this year, pretty bummed about it, really appreciate it man

Hi Bill, WOW!!!! Great looking progress my friend. You are just knocking this out of the park. Really look forward to your updates :)

Randy

hi Randy, if it turns out half is nice as your metal work I will be happy, I appreciate it!

Wow. Looks great.

thanks Dave, I hear Wild Willie calling :lol:

Nice job Bill! I can't wait to see this puppy up on it's paws.

Speaking of brass masterpieces..... Randy, what's up with your project?

I'm glad it finally is John! thanks man

I did finally manage to get it setting on all 4 wheels, every thing seems to work and there is no interference when when the wheels are turned, the struts are tilted in about 5 deg. and back 6 or 7 deg. about as close as I could get, I added a temporary link between the struts for test purposes, still need to add a couple more tubes from the frame up to the top of the strut hoops, still need to make the rotor for the left side and all of the brakesIMG_1524-vi.jpg

IMG_1525-vi.jpgIMG_1526-vi.jpgIMG_1528-vi.jpgIMG_1533-vi.jpg

time to start on the rack and pinion, looks like it going to be a tight fit for that too, thanks for checking on the progress!!

Edited by vintagedragfan