Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ohio George`s '33 Willys Malco Gasser

Just bought this off ebay, i heard they were soon coming out and i stumbled across it and had to buy it!
$(KGrHqF,!rUFDfr5UGZVBQ71g,ypy!~~60_1.JP

This will be the 2nd one i had, i had the original version that was my Dads when he was a kid. He made the mistake of giving it to me when i was 8 or 9y.o. and i pretty much destroyed it!

Fellas,

I ddin't read all of the posts on this thread, how about Round Two reissuing the '61 Falcon ranchero and including the decals to duplicate the car he won at the Nat's "back in the day" ? Maybe a combo kit of George's cars... :):):)

It's a 60 Ranchero and they're considering it (would take a new grille/bumper). They also have plans on the Mustang gasser (MPC) as well. They spent a good chunk of change to get the license for Ohio George stuff, they'll get their money's worth out of it I'm sure.

I have the Willys reissue, very nicely done, new 5- hole rear wheels are beautiful, the 4-hole ones are still there, too and you get 2 sets of slicks for them, a big pair and an even bigger pair. The hole in the roof is still there and there's a filler panel for it. Body looks pretty clean and looks like they spent some effort getting the mold halves to line up better in this reissue. You get skinny tires for the fronts (look like MPC Denmans to me). The little booklet is great, too, includes some photos from when AMT measured up the real deal (including a few shots before the top was chopped) and some detail shots from the restoration that supplement the article in Rodders Journal #20 very well. I'll try to get the camera out and snap some pics tonight.

KOOL NEWS! ROUND 2, CAN WE SEE THE MPC MOLDED MULTI-MAVERICK AGAIN WITH OHIO GEORGE DECALS IN IT AGAIN? THE MALCO GASSER AND THE MR GASKET CAR USED THE SAME CHASSIS IN THOSE KITS.FOR THE MR GASKET MUSTANG, HOW ABOUT DOING A MOLDED CLEAR BODY EXCLUSIVE FOR THE ROUND 2 STORE? ALSO RELEASE AT RANDOM A PLASTIC MOLDED METALLIC RED MR GASKET BODY, ONE TO A CASE, LIKE THE MEYERS MANX DUNE BUGGY YOU DID.FINALLY GIVE US AN UPDATED VERSION OF THE MR GASKET MUSTANG WITH A TWIN-TURBO BOSS 429 IN IT. DO THE 33 WILLYS WITH A STOCK ROOF HEIGHT, ALSO.THANKS FOR LSTENING ROUND 2!!!1

This sounds about right.

I would like to see pics of whats inside. I have the last modified reissue of the Yellow, and Silver one and it was a mess. Maybe the chrome tree won't have to be stripped completely this time. I really love this car. Is the car on the box art the kit or a picture of the die-cast? It seems to have too much scale fidelity for what I have seen for the past few issues of this kit. Might even make a good donor for my 33 panel van. Round 2 is killing it lately. They are doing some GREAT stuff in my eyes

I would like to see pics of whats inside. I have the last modified reissue of the Yellow, and Silver one and it was a mess. Maybe the chrome tree won't have to be stripped completely this time. I really love this car. Is the car on the box art the kit or a picture of the die-cast? It seems to have too much scale fidelity for what I have seen for the past few issues of this kit. Might even make a good donor for my 33 panel van. Round 2 is killing it lately. They are doing some GREAT stuff in my eyes

Pretty sure the pic on the box is the real car from a Rodder's Journal photo shoot.

Yeah, the boxcover car is absolutely the restored 1:1 as shot by TRJ. Sorry, but the wiper bumps on the windshield frame and the bumps on the front grille area are absent as before. This is essentially the kit as you have known it, but cleaned up, restored, and optimized just as Brett described very nicely above.

The boxing, the restored parts and new tires, and the booklet are just about worth it all in themselves, imho.

Yeah, the boxcover car is absolutely the restored 1:1 as shot by TRJ. Sorry, but the wiper bumps on the windshield frame and the bumps on the front grille area are absent as before. This is essentially the kit as you have known it, but cleaned up, restored, and optimized just as Brett described very nicely above.

The boxing, the restored parts and new tires, and the booklet are just about worth it all in themselves, imho.

Got the DSLR's battery on the charger - will try to get some pics posted tonight after work. But remember my motto - "I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

But that's pretty much how I would sum it up - worth it for the decals, new 5 hole rear wheels (which seem to match up better to the period after the car had been chopped) and tires (which are newer and better than what any version of this kit ever had), and the booklet alone. The "restored" parts - and remember, they were present in the many runs of the Willys pickup, just not the coupe - are a bit flashy, as is much of the larger chrome tree. The smaller chrome tree in mine is nearly flawless, though. The plating is very well done. It's the same kit it's been all along, there weren't any miracles performed on the tooling, but overall it's a nice reissue. Good to have it back in this form. It is what it is, a 45 year old kit that's been issued and reissued in some shape or form almost continuously over its lifetime. The meat of what you need to build a decently accurate replica of the original is in there - and it's always had some boogers. Armed with the included booklet and a copy of TRJ #20, the internet, and a judicious application of modeling skill that's probably easier to do now that it was even when the kit was brand-new.

I picked this up yesterday. The box was too gorgeous to put down. Inside you'll find about what you expect. Lots of flash, and IMO a poor looking chrome tree. Almost all of that will have to be stripped, cleaned up, and repainted. After opening it, I regretted buying it. Had I paid 10 dollars less, I'd be quite happy. All that having been said, it's a beautiful car and I look forward to building it.

Does anyone make that blue color?

Well, picked up the Willys yesterday and did a quick comparison to the original kit. Not much was changed and it was cleaned up a bit since its last re issue.

Box art was definitely changed! The original shows the "Ford" logo on its flanks where the new one shows an Art Carr trans decal. Also, the event decals are not on the resto car.

20130119_185104.jpg

The tires are another big surprise, They include some of their new pic crust slicks and some of the new Dragster slicks with the M&H printing. Also included are some skinny Pirelli tires from the Willy Borsch Altered. The originals slicks are hollow and a bit short and are Good Year tires. The fronts are skinny and tall pedestrian style tires.

20130119_185549-1.jpg

The kit comes with the regular four slot rear wheels that have been in the kit since it was first issued, until now. They have tooled up new rear five hole wheels that look very nice and will no doubt find their way into other projects. The fronts remain the same and are correct.

20130119_185712.jpg

20130119_185752.jpg

Now for the bodies. Not much difference, except for one little one. The tilt front in the original kit has two clearance bumps in the grill area where the re issue has them gone. The real car has them and are need to make the car a bit more correct. They where deleted when the kit was re issued in the 70's with the flame decals, side pipes and off road low profile tires! This is the issue that I restored back in the early 90's and now I need to build a newer and better version! Also, you will notice that the new blue plastic is a bit brighter than the original, which was closer to the real car in color.

20130119_185440.jpg

20130119_185940.jpg

The chrome trees are pretty much the same with the restoration of the wheelie bar parts restored back onto the trees.

The kit comes with some nice decals that are a reproduction of the originals, but, the Ford logos where not included once again. The instructions are the same as the original with paint color call outs, but, they did change the pic of the car with the new one. The booklet is neat and has some nice reference shots of the car back then and now. Also included is a hand out style pic and an AMT decal and model catalog.

Overall, nice to see it back with the correct parts and new parts added. I hope they keep restoring these tools and updating them where possible. Now, where are the Mustangs!

Jesse C.

I used Testors Duck Egg Blue. It is a military color and it was pretty close to the original box art. I used Testors clears since the paint is a flat military color, but, it has since yellowed pretty good.

I heard Cobra Colors used to make it, but, I don't know does it now.

The very first issue (circa 1968) of the '33 Willys had bodycolor styrene molded front and rear tires (rather than black vinyl molded tires.) They were nicely done and somewhat unique in shape/diameter from the more normal AMT Trophy Series tires back then. TIM .

1953 Cadillac Pastorial Blue. Nothing in the hobby shop is close out of the can/bottle, but Testors Light Blue lightened with some white would probably be a decent match if you airbrush.

I heard Cobra Colors used to make it, but, I don't know does it now.

MCW still sells it- $6.50 for the 1oz. container. Though you'd still need an airbrush for that, might be the best course of action for those of us who aren't the best at mixing our own colors. :D

MCW still sells it- $6.50 for the 1oz. container. Though you'd still need an airbrush for that, might be the best course of action for those of us who aren't the best at mixing our own colors. :D

Here's what it looks like painted in MCW '53 Cadillac Pastoral Blue. This one was completed around five years ago using the Rodder's Journal article as the key reference. It also contains the correct, original issue styrene molded tires. 17 more photos including detail shots at this link.... http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/tim-boyds-124th--12/boyd-gassers/page2.html

Thanks for looking...TIM

DSC_0052-vi.jpg

Edited by tim boyd

• 11 months later...