Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Many Kits Make a Good Stash?

I lost evrything when our home burned down in May! I had over 200 kits when the fire distroyed them! I am now living with my Wife, two Daughters, my Grandson, and two large Dogs in two Motel Rooms, waiting for the Insuraunce to settle. I have 15 kits already and no place to work on them. I just can't resist Coupons plus model kits!

I just got back into the hobby last November and had around 35 - 40 kits that had been boxed up for 30 years . In eight months It has grown to 147 kits , with five more currently on order !

How did this happen ? ?

Same here. Only thing is I have well over 400 I intend to build. I am not a collector, I am not a collector, I just have wide interests! :blink::wacko::unsure::D

We all say that we all we intend to build every kit we buy, but then we just keep buying more and more kits.

I just got back into the hobby last November and had around 35 - 40 kits that had been boxed up for 30 years . In eight months It has grown to 147 kits , with five more currently on order !

How did this happen ? ?

You have the bug,that's how it happened.Don't feel bad,every time I go to a show I fill the trunk of the car and empty my wallet.

I probably have around 200 kits in boxes but I have a stash of parts from several hundred kits I've bought, parted out, and disposed of or traded parts of the rest. I gave away at least a third of my buildable kits to make space a while back, it was a sad day, I needed those kits.

I lost evrything when our home burned down in May! I had over 200 kits when the fire distroyed them! I am now living with my Wife, two Daughters, my Grandson, and two large Dogs in two Motel Rooms, waiting for the Insuraunce to settle. I have 15 kits already and no place to work on them. I just can't resist Coupons plus model kits!

MAN I feel for you!!! June of 2011 that's EXACTLY what happened to us,only it was just the wife me and 2 kids in the friggin motel :( It DOES ge better,especially when the insurance finally pays up (if you have Allstate,don't expect them to do you any favors,or even hurry though,LOL,cause if you do,you AIN'T in good hands)

You have our thoughts and prayers,my friend!

MAN I feel for you!!! June of 2011 that's EXACTLY what happened to us,only it was just the wife me and 2 kids in the friggin motel :( It DOES ge better,especially when the insurance finally pays up (if you have Allstate,don't expect them to do you any favors,or even hurry though,LOL,cause if you do,you AIN'T in good hands)

You have our thoughts and prayers,my friend!

Thank You for the kind words!

I did have around 200 kits to be built and was pretty happy. Then last year we got our things out of storage in another state(they had been there since 1992). Every time we went to get them out something always came up to take the money(doctors,car repairs, etc., etc.)I now have over 500 kits and everytime I go to build one I have no idea where to start and end up building nothing. All my new additions are between 25 and 40 years old so I just look. I don't need to buy a kit for the rest of my life but that will likely never happen. Richard

I am a lucky man as I have two "man caves" to work out of. My "stash" is about 400-500 kits and over a 100 sheets of decals. Im a sucker for them. So many great cars to build and Slixx has a ton of them. Also have to many parts in too many box,s. Oh ya and have 5 model boxs of just engines of all types. I got it bad. Is there a cure? I dont know.....

:D

I've got about 150 unbuilt kits. Like everyone else I just keep buying new issues like the Revell '49 Merc, the '48 Ford, the Hudson, the '55 Chrysler... This year I bought a couple of resin kits at the NNL East. I know I'll never build them all in my lifetime but I've got the same styrene addiction we've all got. It's fun ain't it...???

I've got to many kits. Right now my collection is 183. I sold about 150 or so early last year when I counted all my unbuilt kits and had over 300. I cut my number in half, and have been adding back to it ever since. I changed my outlook from having too many to not enough. Now I am kinda hoarding all I can get because I wonder what this hobby will look like in thirty years with most of the demographic not buying kits due to the age of most modelers now may not be around by then. At least that's my current reason for buying more than I build.