Model Cars Magazine Forum

When is enough, enough?

Yeah a lol misleading,as I'm sure ya all realize, I'm the nut doing the 4 horsemen theme'd build, Bellum, Fames, Mortis, and Victoria, all Impala's, all kustom, from mild to wild, just wondering WHEN you as builders decide when, enough, is enough, what clicks in your minds, that it's perfect??

Yeah I'm having issues with Mortis, but if I do much more kustom work, you won't be able to tell it started life as a '65 Impala, I see more, yeah I know, K.I.S.S. but the brain says yes!!!!!!!! There's more that I can do.

So again, when is enough, enough, your thoughts.

Edited by Gothicz House Of Kustomz

This is what I like about this hobby. Every project has the potential to be simple or complex. Personally I don't like to preplan too much and try to enjoy the process and let the ideas flow through the build. Some go overboard and some may never come to fruition. I would build it in the moment as you can always build another to your original vision, but why not just enjoy the process. As far as I know , there are no rules or regulations to model building and there never is perfect. I say just build and have fun with it and each project will dictate it's own enough is enough. Just my two cents-do you want change back? :)

This is what I like about this hobby. Every project has the potential to be simple or complex. Personally I don't like to preplan too much and try to enjoy the process and let the ideas flow through the build. Some go overboard and some may never come to fruition. I would build it in the moment as you can always build another to your original vision, but why not just enjoy the process. As far as I know , there are no rules or regulations to model building and there never is perfect. I say just build and have fun with it and each project will dictate it's own enough is enough. Just my two cents-do you want change back? :)

Lol, that's just what this thread is about, opinions.

Its enough when the builder is happy with it even though we always strive to do better...sometimes less is more.

What he said.

I'll get to a point, then set it aside for a day. If I come back and like what I see, I quit and move on to the next phase or call it complete.

G

I sometimes try to preplan a build but things change. There is no good or bad, enough is enough. It's a wonderful world styrene we live in while we're at the bench. There are no rules, there are no regulations, the only limit is our imaginations. Sometimes on a truck build, well most times I do not detail the engine, but then sometimes one thing leads to another and 3 hours later I end up with something I've never done before and can't believe what I just did. Like this.

20150131_091359_zpsahizbrqn.jpg

20150131_095827_zpsbfohfgae.jpg

this here was a first for me. I couldn't believe this was the end result.

Trying to do 4 full customs with a lot of heavy mods in one build thread is a large undertaking, but you're making good progress. Like eating the proverbial elephant, one bite at a time gets the job done...eventually.

On the other hand, if you see more custom mods in your imagination, I say go for it.

A lot of of the best customs in the real world are no longer recognizable, at all, as what they started out as, but became entirely the realization of the builders vision.

Enough is never enough. And your original intention and vision doesn't have to be carved in stone...even on a real car build.

...My problem is that after spending my entire life working on and building 1:1 vehicles and stock cars, I keep going until every detail is in place. For example: a carburetor is just a plastic lump until it has linkage and fuel line, but since I don't secure my air breathers, the throttle bores get drilled out and booster venturis are added, along with choke diaphragms and linkages. A hot air choke requires a choke heater well and rod to the choke plate...you see where I'm going with this? I know it's my decision to take detailing that far, but as a former technician it doesn't look right to me until everything is in place. Not everyone is as picky,and I figure that extensive details are what cause my builds to number no more than a couple per year. BUT--I am personally pleased with every one of my builds that were constructed not for contests or the approval of others, but to look good on my shelves and represent an inspired idea converted to something you can hold in your hand (With cotton gloves, please.).

I build for myself these days, and that's not an excuse to slouch off on quality or execution. It means that I don't stop until all aspects of the build are right in my mind. I'll start out with a vision in my head of what I hope to achieve. I get excited as this vision starts to take shape in 3D in front of me on my work bench. I may have initially planned on doing some aspect of the kit as simple, but I always reserve the right to change my mind as the build progresses. Each step, and eventually the entire model is only done when it has my personal seal of approval.

Those models where I have over stepped my ability, or lost the vision or interest during the journey, get boxed up and put in my unfinished project collection that sits on the shelves up over my work bench. I put them there so they are in plain sight and won't get forgotten. Sometimes these give me new inspiration years later and get finished.

I build for myself these days, and that's not an excuse to slouch off on quality or execution. It means that I don't stop until all aspects of the build are right in my mind. I'll start out with a vision in my head of what I hope to achieve. I get excited as this vision starts to take shape in 3D in front of me on my work bench. I may have initially planned on doing some aspect of the kit as simple, but I always reserve the right to change my mind as the build progresses. Each step, and eventually the entire model is only done when it has my personal seal of approval.

Those models where I have over stepped my ability, or lost the vision or interest during the journey, get boxed up and put in my unfinished project collection that sits on the shelves up over my work bench. I put them there so they are in plain sight and won't get forgotten. Sometimes these give me new inspiration years later and get finished.

?? Thats it right there ??, tho I don't overstep, I have the habit of EXTREME!!!!! Saw syndrome, forget the next cut, move, or go a whole nother direction, and wind up at the corner of, "wth, and DAMNIT, lol.

While a lot of builders put in a lot of detail and some of their models actually look real, that is not for everybody. Everybody does not possess all the skills needed, everybody does not want to do all that scratch building, everybody does not want to put in that much time into a model, etc. \Enough for me is when I'm in my own "comfort level," otherwise I don't see this hobby being fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow some really great feedback, me I live, eat, sleep, poop, building, my brain can't shut off, one build leads into 3 more in my head, and I have to get them started before I forget, it was mentioned to me last night, or well when ever, I should put 2 of my 4 horsemen builds aside, to many irons in the fire so to speak, and I agree with the person that posted that, but at the same time if I work on just one, I get burn out FAST, but with 4, I'm looking for my next fix, for lack of a better term, and there right there, from mild to wild, tho I have got more work done on one, I have also lost parts, (cat I think), and broke one, still would like to hear more feedback from you guys......

i think that's called "modelers' ADD". not be concerned, we're all a bit touched. it comes and goes. this is why it's best to be able to put a build away for a spell until inspiration rekindles. this discourages some and rejuvenates others. in the off times, buy more kits!

Comments in red.

Wow some really great feedback, me I live, eat, sleep, poop, building, my brain can't shut off, one build leads into 3 more in my head, and I have to get them started before I forget,

Rather than cut into another kit, either get a notebook with a page for each kit, and jot the ideas down or put an address label directly onto the box and put your notes there.

it was mentioned to me last night, or well when ever, I should put 2 of my 4 horsemen builds aside, to many irons in the fire so to speak, and I agree with the person that posted that, but at the same time if I work on just one, I get burn out FAST , but with 4, I'm looking for my next fix, for lack of a better term, and there right there, from mild to wild, tho I have got more work done on one,

Focus young Grasshopper. Work two kits, to prevent burn out.

I have also lost parts, (cat I think),

Or lost/misplaced because there's too much going on, on the bench?

and broke one, still would like to hear more feedback from you guys......

Slow down. I understand your mindset but if you are causing yourself problems..............................?