Model Cars Magazine Forum

Newbie pointers

Furiousgeorge

I just picked up a bunch of Polar Lights kits (two '70s Petty Chargers and two of the Buddy Baker Chargers, all 1/25), and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on building classic NASCARs. I haven't built a NASCAR for nearly 15 years, and I don't watch it on tv, but reading up on these cars and some of the drivers has proven to be really interesting. I'm planning on using a '69 Charger 500 body (Mario Rossi #22), a '70 Coronet (Bobby Watson #8), and a '69 Daytona (Buddy Baker #71), since only one had a usable body. So any tips or tricks regarding these are very much appreciated!

Trent, go to Randy Ayer's NASCAR site and look around. Tons of experience over there with all types of NASCAR racers. The Polar Lights kits IMO are not the easiest to make look good. If you're just getting back into the hobby these may not be the best to start with.

If anyone has a set of the #17 blue and gold David Pearson Torino decals they would like to get rid of I'm trying to do a model of that car and the only one I could get to work from was a Woods Bros. kit. The car is locally owned by a Dr. friend and is currently being raced in the vintage NASCAR road races. I was a dealer and have quite a bit of pre-1999 decals for cup and bgn cars if you want to trade.

Edited by horsepower