Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Street Community Build Project

1320wayne

I just got a cool idea from your post Chuck and may build it later on. Take the '79 F-350 cab and modify a '53 flareside bed to go on the back of it. B) I'm almost done with my Comet project. So, hopefully I'll be getting in on this soon. I'll post photos of my project later or I may just go ahead and start on that F-150 project. ;)

It'll work- just turn the flareboards down to 90 degrees and maybe find a different tailgate if you want to make it look like a stock '70's Flareside. Just using the '53 bed on that truck as-is looks okay though, too- I think I have one around here somewhere I built like that.

It'll work- just turn the flareboards down to 90 degrees and maybe find a different tailgate if you want to make it look like a stock '70's Flareside. Just using the '53 bed on that truck as-is looks okay though, too- I think I have one around here somewhere I built like that.

Yeah, the bedsides are also a little taller. But, it could be where the flareboards are flat instead of angled. I've got an old bed from the 1/24 '55 kit that may just do the trick. The extra size of it may be a benefit for stuffing big tires under it.

Hey

Being a big fan of Pro Street cars, i just HAVE to join this. As i also have joined the "Cannonball" build, i might be a few days late starting this one.

My choise of car is a 69 GTO with "The Judge" trim. Body will, besides the hood, be stock - major changes will be done to the undercarriage, engine bay AND interior.

Also found the wheels to use for this build, but might change my mind on those if something better comes up.

Here are a few pictures of kit and wheels

SAM_0076_zps2065a9bb.jpg

SAM_0083_zpsccbeb410.jpg

I´ll be following all other builds with great interest and for inspiration.

Cheers

Søren

looks like a great start Soren

i think we are using the seem rubber (though my front ones are skinnier)

got a mill picked out yet ?

im pretty stagnant on my build...mostly waiting on parts

so far ive put together the engine bay (which will remain stock) and decided on a paint scheme

the main clolour will be red, with a white panel running down the side and the stock white decals

i also cut out the wheel wells but wont be able to build them back up again untill i get the rear end in the mail

i also ordered a motor for this build because the 390 is cute but it just doesnt have any power adders and i dont want to run it in stock trim (after all, this is pro street, not poser street)

Since there's no time limit, I'll check back in later...as soon as I can figure out how to shoehorn a 427 SOHC into a '40 ford pickup :D !

By the way, what's a good source for the monster meats out back?

Edited by Shardik

not a whole lot to show but i got the doghouse going

(still waiting on that engine to get here, rear end will be from a lincoln so that should drop right in)

1357171132.jpg

1357171092.jpg

now i know these are usually black but i wanted it to be a little more classy then that so i decided to match it to the body :)

Since there's no time limit, I'll check back in later...as soon as I can figure out how to shoehorn a 427 SOHC into a '40 ford pickup :D !

By the way, what's a good source for the monster meats out back?

The AMT '70 Super Bee has a nice set of matching M/T Sportsman front and rears. The older AMT pro street kits had no name rears that looked like M/Ts, but had no name on the sidewalls and are a touch smaller. Revell's '41 Willys has some nice rear tires,but they are a little narrow. Revell's old pro street kits had wide rear tires (Firestones), but personally, I don't like them. They have the tread pattern molded too far into the sidewall and have a mud grip look to them.

This is what I have in mind right now. If I do go with it, there will have be a lot of changes done to it. First, is the stance. It sets way too high in the front end,but the headers are already as close to ground as allowable. It has the front clip/rear tubs from a '70 Super Bee under it. The Hemi with the headers wouldn't fit in the Duster's front clip. That may be the problem. I may just ditch the Hemi and clip and go back with the original Duster clip and the fuel injected small block. Maybe then, I can get the front lowered down to where I want it.

018-9_zps7f06a41f.jpg

022-8_zps692638d5.jpg

Hey

I´ve been sorting out some parts to give the GTO a little more power and took some mock up´s to show You what my plan is. Don´t mind the wheels - they need to be sitting deeper, so that i can lover the ride height a bit B)

SAM_0090_zps7fe61bcc.jpg

SAM_0088_zpseb68a5e1.jpg

That´s all from me for now - thanks for looking.

Cheers

Søren

Headers and stance are now fixed. Now, I just have to mock up the interior,build a streetable roll cage and find some decent wheels for it. Then, I'll be ready for primer, paint and details.

023-1_zpsbe802ff1.jpg

Thanx Wayne! I'm satisfied with it now. It's as low as it can go with the stock clip. Progress will be slow on this since I'm still working towards finishing up my Comet project and just tinkering on this one. Where could I find some more modern pro stock/street wheels?

got the mill in today

1357352937.jpg

the longblock is soaking in ovencleaner to get the chrome off :)

Roger, there are several good resin casters on here who make nice deep rims

the daisies i have on mine i got from a fellow member, a second member hooked me up with some deep spyders and i also got a set of centerline

Thanx Wayne! I'm satisfied with it now. It's as low as it can go with the stock clip. Progress will be slow on this since I'm still working towards finishing up my Comet project and just tinkering on this one. Where could I find some more modern pro stock/street wheels?

Go to Ebay and look in the slot car section for Pro Track aluminum slot car wheels. In my opinion they are the best source of modern style drag wheels going. Some people think that they are a bit pricey but I feel that they are a deal for what you get. There are plenty of styles, front and rear and multiple color options as they also come anodized, if you wish. Usually about $12 for a front set and $19 for the rears, or about $32 for a complete set. Here are some examples.

DSC08341-vi.jpg

DSC00272-vi.jpg

DSC08045-vi.jpg

DSC08633-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Wayne, I've got one I'd like to join with, but I need your approval first. I did the bodywork and paint on this for a buddy back in 2007, and sent it to him but he never got the time to build it. So I got it back and just started in on it on the first of this month. It's getting the Pro Street treatment, I'm still up in the air on the engine, either the kit 340/Six Pack or a 440 from the '71 Charger kit. Your call, can I join in?

Superduster002-vi.jpg

Superduster027-vi.jpg