Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gary Balough's '86 short track Camaro

roadhawg

Just finished up another All Pro car. This is the famous Dillon Chassis "carbon fiber" car that short track legend Gary Balough raced in the All-Pro and ASA series in 1986. The car was very innovative for it's time, for one..the entire interior was made from carbon fiber, which was both lightweight and made the car more rigid. They also used the new hub "top hats", which made changing the wide-5 wheels much quicker during pit stops. Balough won just about everything there was to win in this car that year. I've always liked Balough, even in spite of his personal issues, and I've always thought this was a beautiful race car.

The model is a Revell ASA Camaro. The rear end and front A-arms were narrowed slightly (just like the real car) to get the tires under the fenders. The dash panel was made from styrene, and that tiny little kit steering wheel was swapped out for one from a Nascar kit. I also added simple seat belts made from masking tape. I made the hub top hats from styrene tubing and sheet, and the wheels are my own castings.

Paint is Model Master Italian Red lacquer with their Ultra-Gloss clearcoat, and the decals are my own. It is built curbside style, so there is no engine wiring or plumbing...not sure my arthritic fingers could even do that kind of detail anymore!

It's not perfect, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I'm hoping Balough will make it to Georgia for the World Crown 300 this year, so I can get him to sign it for me.

Comment, criticism, complaints, or questions welcome! Thanks for looking.

IMG_3003_zpsc4b74ad2.jpg

IMG_3005_zpseda59953.jpg

IMG_3020_zpse6dc62b6.jpg

IMG_3011_zps28b7b85e.jpg

IMG_3018_zpse94e150c.jpg

IMG_3014_zpsd086f48c.jpg

IMG_3023_zpsfe014710.jpg

Any chance you can show some pic with the body off? I'm just about

to start this same kit and would like to see the chassis etc.

Steve

Absolutely!

IMG_3052_zps75789903.jpg

IMG_3051_zpsbd8216fe.jpg

The Revell ASA kit is a little fiddley, but goes together ok. Just take your time and test fit everything.

• 4 weeks later...

Tommy....Excellent build, I too like Gary. My future plans include Gary's "Batmobile" modified. Got the body kit from Big Donkey resins and decals from Polecat. Both are excellent products.

Where did you get the wheels from and would you be interested in selling me a set of the decals??

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Vernon

Tommy....Excellent build, I too like Gary. My future plans include Gary's "Batmobile" modified. Got the body kit from Big Donkey resins and decals from Polecat. Both are excellent products.

Where did you get the wheels from and would you be interested in selling me a set of the decals??

Vernon

I may be wrong, (I thought I was once, a long time ago but I was mistaken)lol But there were a couple of the ASA kits that came with the wide five wheels, these appear to be the kit wheels, there are quite a few places that make some nice wide fives, you might check with Dirt Modeler (I think) they have some nice stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, thanks guys!

VERNON, on 23 Apr 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

Vernon

Vernon, I built that Big Donkey Batmobile, so I'll PM some tips I learned to you. The wheels are some I cast myself, but I believe Early Years Resin now has a set similar to that.

• 1 year later...