Model Cars Magazine Forum

KFS Cat excavator

Thanks for all the kind words,

I fitted a 3406, cut the door open, added a hydraulic tank and filter, as well as a hydraulic bank

KFS do not sell any machines now,(the excavator or the michigan L190) the final run was done beginning of this year, and he will not be doing any more, which is a shame, as they are nice kits, and certainly a market for them.....

Took a few pics in the sand pit, had to test the hydraulics before delivery :)
file-73.jpg
file-55.jpg
file-60.jpg
file-64.jpg
file-49.jpg
file-73.jpg

Very nice rendering! Too bad there isn't more 1:24-1:25 scale models of heavy equipment like this. If I do remember well, this particular kit from KFS was pretty expensive so that might have turned some people off. But it IS very nice.

Edited by BigBad

Ron Andrews over at RMR has a 25th scale Komatsu excavator. It runs about 90 or 95 bucks, I got mine so long ago,I've forgotten, to be honest with ya. It's still listed in his website, and it IS a VERY nice model when it's done. It doesn't SAY it's a Komatsu, but it sure looks like one. it also resembles that Cat excavator too, so maybe with a deft hand at painting or decaling, you could make it either! Hth.

Very nice Tony!!!!! I'm saving mine for an upgrade kit of the full engine and hydraulic system. A good friend that is a master at building scale diesel engines was supposed to make everything so it could be cast. Were doing the same thing for the Michigan loader as well.

Thanks guys for all to kind words

Ben

If you are going to full hydraulic, then it is much better to rebuild the whole top section, so you can open all the doors, the frame is to thick to use, so best to rebuild the lot, and vac form all the doors to suit, I have started a 1/16th version but different brand which I am scratch building the whole thing doing the same, so many projects so little time, when it is over half done I will post some pics

When you cast some of the michigan parts let me know, I have the same kit to build, but not for awhile yet

Very nice Tony!!!!! I'm saving mine for an upgrade kit of the full engine and hydraulic system. A good friend that is a master at building scale diesel engines was supposed to make everything so it could be cast. Were doing the same thing for the Michigan loader as well.

Ron Andrews over at RMR has a 25th scale Komatsu excavator. It runs about 90 or 95 bucks, I got mine so long ago,I've forgotten, to be honest with ya. It's still listed in his website, and it IS a VERY nice model when it's done. It doesn't SAY it's a Komatsu, but it sure looks like one. it also resembles that Cat excavator too, so maybe with a deft hand at painting or decaling, you could make it either! Hth.

what is RMR s web site ?

http://rmrresin.webs.com/nf125.htm

Keep one thing in mind, the differences between the KFS machine and the RMR are night and day. It's like trying to compare apples to oranges. The RMR is good for 2 things, sitting on the deck of a lowboy because it's hollow and weighs nothing and for collecting dust while it's sitting on the lowboy. The selling price is $95 but should be half of that considering the master was a toy. I can show you plenty of pictures of the RMR "elsewhere" if you want.

yes i would like to see pictures..

http://rmrresin.webs.com/nf125.htm

Keep one thing in mind, the differences between the KFS machine and the RMR are night and day. It's like trying to compare apples to oranges. The RMR is good for 2 things, sitting on the deck of a lowboy because it's hollow and weighs nothing and for collecting dust while it's sitting on the lowboy. The selling price is $95 but should be half of that considering the master was a toy. I can show you plenty of pictures of the RMR "elsewhere" if you want.

Anthony, I totally agree, it is cast from a toy, which in fact you can buy for less than $30, so why buy a resin one....

yes, when it did come out a lot of people did jump on it, including me, but when it was realised it was just a toy....

here is what the machine was cast from

file-1.jpg

This is the KFS kit

100_7529.jpg

100_7526.jpg

and like Anthony said, apples and oranges, the KFS kit has many white metal parts, great photo etch , great decals, and is quality castings, no flash, bubbles or problems assembling it,

I would rather spend the extra buying this kit (KFS) as you get what you pay for........ quality

Edited by Tony Bryan