Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sketch Pad Art

Jairus

That is beautiful. Just curious. Why didn't you put snow on the roof and snow and ice cycles on the scoop. Looks like it was parked over the weekend lol. Just wondering?

The sky is clear and the snow melting. A couple of sunny days and any sheetmetal exposed to the sun warms up fairly quick. Ice and snow would be gone unless the vehicle were sitting in the deep shade. At least that was my though... but no doubt there are a lot of other details I could have put into it for sure.

The sky is clear and the snow melting. A couple of sunny days and any sheetmetal exposed to the sun warms up fairly quick. Ice and snow would be gone unless the vehicle were sitting in the deep shade. At least that was my though... but no doubt there are a lot of other details I could have put into it for sure.

True. I guess that did not dawn on me. It reminded me of another scene I had seen. That is why I ask. I am from North Dakota but never have actually seen a car like this sitting somewhere to see Ice cycles and stuff lol.

• 2 months later...

I see that I have not posted anything in this thread for a while. So since V suggested that I "Keep it alive", here are some pics that were published in another magazine. It was a two page spread much like SketchPad but with three illustrations centering on one vehicle. This time it was a 1961 Ford Uni-body pickup.

61smoothsidep_upfront-vi.jpg

I kept the interior mostly stock but with a little billet in the dash with modern gauges and a steering wheel. (forget the maker)

interior72dpi-vi.jpg

The basic premiss was to take a chassis from the "then new" Lightning F-100 and put it under a lightly customized '61 body.

Note the little Lightning touches and side door handle used on the tailgate?

61smoothsidep_up-vi.jpg

I think most of the color you see was photoshopped in once I scanned in a line drawing. This was so I could customize freely. The basic design was first sketched in pencil, then modified till I liked it. Then a careful line drawing done in ink and sent to the scanner. Once there I did mostly what Harry shows in his excellent tutorial, just block off an area and start airbrushing. Takes a long time but the results are worth it. Plus... the airbrush doesn't need cleaning. :lol:

wow, always liked a lot of your illustrations Jairus, do you happen to have one of a white '58 Impala? Not sure if that one was yours or not, but it was sweet! Do you happen to have any '68-'74 Chargers? Keep up the great work!

Don't remember any white '58 Impala's but Yeah... got a couple Chargers. Neither was used in a Sketchpad.

69Chargerstock2-vi.jpg

ChargerIII-vi.jpg

Well now, I do remember one purple '69 that went into a Car Modeler mag wwwaaaayyy back! I'll see if I can find it.

:)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, J and Harry for keeping this one going . . . it seems to me the best of an illustration captures the style and character of a particular vehicle, and it's exactly the trigger that would fuel a builder to become possessed by the idea of replicating the illustration.

• 1 month later...

Nope Chuck.... never did. Mostly because the front of that car is molded in one piece and chromed. Saw NO reason to change it. B)

Hi Jairus, I was curious if you've ever done any variations on Boyd's Aluma Coupe? I remember seeing some cool illustrations years ago, but I can't remember where, and searching online has proved futile. Thanks!

Cheers,