Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is it true that AMT is including pad-printed Polyglas GT tires in some recent releases?

If so, is there any chance we can talk them into selling them as tire packs? If memory serves, they already offer older style slicks and whitewall tires in special packs.

Indeed they do, they carry em at my LHS. Price is a lil steep for my taste for tires, but it may be a possibility for these i suppose.

Hmmmm, I posed this question on another forum and one person replied that the latest Hurst Olds had them. I'm guessing he's referring to this one.

AMT-703-2T.jpg

He mentioned that the tires have finer tread detail in addition to the pad-printed lettering, so I'm hoping one of our vigilant members will post some pictures up for us.

Edited by Monty

I didn't think the '69 H/O was out yet...due in November.

Mark Budniewski answered my question over on the Spotlight board. I don't know much about him but from what I've seen, he seems to have a wealth of knowledge about the entire modeling world. It wouldn't surprise me if he had legitimate connections that resulted in his getting this kit early. He's a member of this forum, too. Maybe he'll pop in and clarify.

That takes me back to the early 90's, as I went to the Ertl factory to write an article for the magazine 'Truck Model World' at the time I was one of a handful of people actually allowed to take photo's inside the factory, and they had a separate part of the factory called the 'Pad Printing Room' I will try to find some of those old photo's when I get to clear out the attic.

I like the AMT Firestone whitewall tires sets....each has 1 set of 4 narrow and 4 wide whitewalls...good for late '50s and early '60s cars. The online vendors have them for about $13/set, which is not bad for two sets of tires, less than two sets of resin whitewalls.

They have 2 more drag slick sets coming, maybe they will do a set of the Polyglas GT tires eventually.

Edited by Rob Hall

As noted above, the '66 Mustang kit has newly tooled Goodyear Polyglas GT in F60 and L60 sizes. They are very, very nicely done. The L60's look more like G60's or H60's to me, but that is of little concern given how sharp these are. And yes, I'll be buying more of these kits to get 'em. The drag slicks are also very sharp.

TIM .

I didn't think the '69 H/O was out yet...due in November.

I bought one on Monday, October 29th at a Hobby Lobby,in Charlotte NC, which I always thought were among the last to get new releases.

I will have to check out that Mustang kit as I would love to put some polyglas tires on some Camaros in the stash.

Pretty sure the AMT 1966 Mustang that was recently reissued has Poly Glas printed tires.

Send R2 an email and let them know you would interested.

Actually that's a brilliant idea. I can either wish & hope and see what happens, or I can try and make something happen. I went to Round2's site http://round2models.com/contact and sent them a nice email complimenting them on their tires and asking if they had considered making them available as a package deal a la the slicks & whitewalls they released earlier.

If you're interested in helping me push this idea, feel free to do the same. cheers2.gif

Interesting...that would be nice to be able to get those tires in sets.....another option IIRC is that Scale Equipment Ltd makes them in black resin w/ raised white letters.

Depends on how accurate you want to be. SEL's version are based on the old Monogram Goodyear GT Radial. It still has that tread pattern and an opening better suited for 1/24 scale wheels. OTOH, if you're doing 1/24 scale factory stock builds of early '70s muscle cars, this might be the best choice.

24641.3w.jpg

Hmmmm, I posed this question on another forum and one person replied that the latest Hurst Olds had them. I'm guessing he's referring to this one.

AMT-703-2T.jpg

He mentioned that the tires have finer tread detail in addition to the pad-printed lettering, so I'm hoping one of our vigilant members will post some pictures up for us.

Hey Monty...I posted a couple of pics of the tires that came in my kit that I just bought. They're in the kit review section on the Hurst kit.

Monty,

I will join you in writing to Round 2 for getting the Polyglas tires released as a kit like their other tire packages as I have a hard time buying the Hurst Olds and Mustang kits just for the tires! I would rather purchase multiple tire kits that I will use instead of multiple car kits that will get raided!

Thanks for pointing this out and taking the lead on the campaign to get these tires offered as kit. Round 2 if you are listening, get them done now!

If Revell was smart, they would regain the tire licenses they had, and in addition to putting lettered tires in kits, they could also sell the tires in packs. I'm sure most people who build pickup/SUV kits have plenty of extra wheels that fit in the Goodyear Tracker A-T tires! :lol:

Plus I really like the Goodyear GT Radials that were in the older F-250/F-350 kits.

Actually that's a brilliant idea. I can either wish & hope and see what happens, or I can try and make something happen. I went to Round2's site http://round2models.com/contact and sent them a nice email complimenting them on their tires and asking if they had considered making them available as a package deal a la the slicks & whitewalls they released earlier.

If you're interested in helping me push this idea, feel free to do the same. cheers2.gif

Just threw my 2 cents in. I, for one, would definately buy multiple sets. I even suggested a 16 tire set...enough for 4 cars...more economical for some of us.