Model Cars Magazine Forum

Charity raffle Manx

VW Dave

Dave, just sent my donation via paypal! I hope others feel compelled to help in any way they can for such a good cause! The underlying perk is a chance to win Dave's wonderful Manx. Even if someone doesn't feel they have much to give, a single ticket is only $1.00 and every dollar can help. I applaud Dave for taking the time to do this and get involved. Its a wonderful thing he has done. I hope others feel inspired to help as I have. I wish Dave the best of luck with raising money for this family.

To increase the value and your chances of winning, I have reduced the ticket prices: 2 for $1, and $10 gets you 25 tickets.

Yesterday I visited Hadley's grandparents and broke the news of the raffle to the family - "it's on now." B)

Edited by VW Dave

Well, the powers that be here at the MCM forums have given me the green light; for that I am eternally grateful.

The raffle will run approximately 10 weeks from now - maybe 12 weeks, if the responses are favorable. I'm figuring that the proceeds of the raffle will be a welcomed gift for the family in time for Christmas, and the Manx will be equally welcome in the home of the winner.

Speaking of winners and prizes: my good friend Scott, a car guy and woodworking whiz kid, has agreed to donate an item for a 2nd prize drawing: one of his cool custom-made birdhouses, topped with a tin roof made from a vintage NY license plate. Pictures to follow ASAP.

Tickets are 2 for $1, and $10 gets you 15; the raffle's PayPal address is hadleys.heart2012@gmail.com Include your mailing address with payment, and I will mail your ticket stubs. Don't have PayPal? Have any questions? Feel free to drop a line to my email address: plasticman1432@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for your interest and help!

Dave,

I'm in, money sent....You are the man for taking this on, I am proud to know you....

~LG

Update: I made a typo in the ticket price previously. They are 2 for $1, and 25 for $10.

Between Facebook and my local friends & co-workers, sales have been pretty brisk.....but a little lukewarm here. I'm hoping the price correction makes a difference, and another bit of info might be helpful as well: if anyone wins the Manx or the 'car guy' birdhouse but isn't really into it, I have a couple of people ready to make an offer.

I'm covering postage for ticket stubs and for the prizes myself, so that every penny that comes in goes to Hadley's family. The drawing date is still 'TBA,' but I'm aiming for Saturday December 1st so that the winners and family can receive everything in time for Christmas.

This is a GREAT thing you are doing here Dave!!!

I've always admired your builds, I now admire you as a person also for your generosity :)

Incredible build, love everything about it!

Please open up your wallets everyone, this is a very nice thing Dave is doing here! :D

Donation sent!

Thanks to Jeff Salem (jeffs396) and Ron Martz (rmvwguy) for your donations and kind words, both here and sent along with your donations. Your ticket stubs are ready to mail out today.

Jeff - To answer your question about 'snail-mailing' ticket stubs vs. emailing them, most people I surveyed before starting this thing said they feel more secure of their chances with actual tickets in their hands. If I can offer that peace of mind for 40 some-odd cents, and it will help boost ticket sales, I'm all over it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, the results are in after Saturday's drawing:

1st prize, the Meyers Manx, is taking up residence with Brad and his family, formerly in Australia, now in Valley Center CA

2nd prize, the awesome 'car guy' birdhouse, is headed to Roy in Glen Allen VA

I won't have the actual figure until the last PayPal transfer is complete(later today or tomorrow), but it looks like the raffle has netted just over $2100 in less than 4 months' time. I'd like to thank everybody who contributed to and supported the raffle, for helping make my silly idea a huge success.

Even though most of them aren't here on the MCM boards, these are the people who helped get the ball rolling and get the prizes together as well: Scott Lavigne, Marc Nellis, Hideo Motohashi, Bruce & Winnie Meyers, Bob Smith and his crew at Mohawk Valley Railroad(my LHS), Gregg Hutchings and Model Cars Magazine, Kinko's in Saratoga Springs NY. Last, but certainly not least, my wife Jennifer and our boys Dominic and Luciano for tolerating me and my dune buggy nonsense.