Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need some HELP bare metal foil? chrome trim?

so i cant get the stuff at my local hobby lobby they wont carry it and im looking for alternatives that could maybe found local hobby lobby home depot michael and one other craft store i foget the name i need something that will work for window trim and wheel well ect

i found it on ebay but its rather expensive when you incude shipping for just one sheet is there anything i can use or other brands of this stuff that may be cheaper i was thinking checking home depot for metal duct taping used in ac but i think that will be way to thick i have my trim painted silver but they just dont stand out and need the bare metal foil look am i just going to have to buy from them do they corner the market ?? thank you for any help -rob

i found it on ebay but its rather expensive when you incude shipping for just one sheet

Is $10.49 to much ?, that includes shipping, $8.50 plus $1.99 for shipping, Thats almost $4 cheaper then buying it from the source

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370642587582?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

My last sheet I bought was from this seller

It is when you're getting 2.

I forgot somehting

Scale Dreams has a $10 min order, so you cant just buy BMF from his site, unless there is a work around

I left that part out and came to add it, that way my comment would made a little more sense

Here is the best deal, $7. plus $2 shipping

http://www.policecarmodels.com/baremetalfoil.html

Edited by martinfan5

is there any thing else that could be used

Since you seem to be committed to going low-buck on this, there have been modelers who've used Dollar Store aluminum foil and MicroMetal Foil Adhesive. If your local hobby shop won't carry anything like Bare Metal Foil, it's doubtful that they'd carry a foil adhesive, so you'll have to get that by mail order/internet.

Keep in mind that once you buy your foil and pay for the adhesive (plus shipping!) you'll be working with a material that's not as thin as BMF, and you'll be trying to make it stick to your model by applying the adhesive as evenly as you can to the areas you're wanting to foil.

When it's all said and done, I'll be curious if you think the money you saved was worth it.

Edited by Monty

I use the cheapest store-brand aluminum foil I can find (because it's the thinnest) with Microscale Foil Adhesive (available on-line). I can't remember if mil thickness is published on aluminum foil packaging, but if it is your looking for the thinnest.

You don't apply the adhesive to the parts you're foiling, you apply it in nice, even coats to the foil and then attach and trim the foil just as you would Bare-Metal. I find that it holds detail just as well as Bare-Metal, is much easier to work with and you don't have to worry about shelf life. And, you get "chrome" and "brushed/polished meta/aluminum" in one box, depending on what side of the foil you apply the adhisive to.

I use this method because I prefer it to Bare-Metal. The money saved is a bonus.

post-4517-0-79020600-1365614651_thumb.jppost-4517-0-57034300-1365614689_thumb.jppost-4517-0-36322900-1365614705_thumb.jp

Paul B.

Edited by PeeBee

its not that im being cheap its just i have no place to get the stuff right now i think im going to just order it online but may try this with the store bought trick to see if that will work for me but ive never use bmf so i think that getting it online and trying the real stuff first and then the store bought cheap foil after i get it down with the real stuff will help thank you for all the help