Model Cars Magazine Forum

'77 Volare Glue Bomb

ChrisPflug

What says class 70's style better than a padded "landau" top? Wanted to do something different than the typical "Super Pak" Road Runner

These kit come with an awful "custom" top option- I spent a little time reworking one to see if it could be made into something decent (and test fit on a '78 promo I had laying around). Also have an ebay glue bomb that had had the custom top glued on so figured re-installing a vinyl top would reduce the amount of bodywork required

010-7.jpg

042.jpg

044-1.jpg

I have a '77 Volare Annual (ePay "win" from a few years back) in unbuilt condition , so I'm going to watching your build here .

That grotesque Landau top was actually used in 1:1 on a "special" model Volare called "California Cruiser" or something as such . It also had 50's chrome-reverse / Baby Moon caps and ---GaSp!--- wide-whitewall tyres (YUCK!).

The *only* problems I have with the Volare annuals :

- Sub-sized Small Block MoPar (looks more like a 3.9 litre V6 than a 273/318/340/360 !)

- Those dumb two-piece plastic tyres !!

Judging by the amount of "modifications" done to the back-portion of the roof , I personally would be tempted to make a phantom El Camino / Ranchero / Rampage out of it ...

... it has the -right- body lines for such a conversion :D

The body got a bath- started on the chassis and interior- was going with white seats so opened the cracked open a fresh kit for parts

Going with green (like the fenderwells) and green and white interior- magnum style road wheels and whitewalls

Also playing around with green stripes (from a scan of the original decal sheet)

005-3.jpg

021-2.jpg

025-1.jpg

77RR_green.jpg

That grotesque Landau top was actually used in 1:1 on a "special" model Volare called "California Cruiser" or something as such

No. This particular vinyl top treatment was part of the Volare' Premiere option package (ditto for the Aspen SE).

79aspenSE.jpg

This looks to be the same (or close to the same) color you're using, Chris?:

fbody.jpg

Edited by Casey

72Coronet is right about the California Cruiser Volare. It used the roof that came in the kit, without the opera windows. Ugly as hell. Great job replicating the Premiere landau roof! You've got me wanting to do one of these too! I am a Volare/Aspen fan, and also a fan of green. Love the color choice! Can't wait to see it done.

Staying with the kit engine on this one- added the crude power steering pump from an AMT Challenger and a few homemade detail bits

017-4.jpg

031.jpg

Mockup with a coat of color

057-1.jpg

Also did a "test shot" on regular paper of the green stripes

058-2.jpg

Edited by ChrisPflug

• 8 months later...

I love those greens...so 'of the era'.. I learned to drive in a '79 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4 pickup in a silver green w/ matching green interior.. but oddly, I don't care for the obnoxious bright green Mopar used in '70-71 (Sub Lime?)

Edited by Rob Hall

Love the work you've done on the Volare! A few other issues with the kit are that it has no pedals and the interior bucket inside door detail is almost not there. Also, the under hood panel closest to the windshield has no detail. The 1:1 has a vent there. I added one. I understand that someone did photo etch one off for it.

MVC003F-vi.jpg

My interior. I did a lot of work on the door panels with Evergreen. The cranks are resin from Norman Veber. The arm rests were carved out of toothpicks. I went for a bench seat. I modified the one from the Revell '66 Chevelle wagon.

S4200168vi-vi.jpg

Busy engine bay! Main reason for the photo is to show the vent close to the windshield. Kit just has a blank part there. Also, the kit doesn't have the two stiffener bars that run from the firewall to the fenders.

• 3 weeks later...