Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real or Model #232 FINISHED!

Real or Model?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Real or model?

I only say real because I haven't seen a kit of this car before...

Your mistake is assuming a model needs to come from a kit.

Ever heard of Gerald Wingrove? Or all the other modelers out there who create models completely from scratch?

Kit? They don't need no stinkin' kit! ;)

This is another one-of-a-kind car that's instantly recognizable in some circles, and I've seen it before. Rolled the dice it hadn't been modeled (plus the panel fit and gloss on the paint just look too too good...)

Only things I really don't like on this car are the landau irons, which have absolutely no place on a non-convertible (or at least a fake convertible), and the hiccup in the body line at the cockpit.

Pretty stunning piece anyway though. Auburn-like nose...

duesenberg-model-sj-town-car-109908183-1

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Only things I really don't like on this car are the landau irons, which have absolutely no place on a non-convertible (or at least a fake convertible), and the hiccup in the body line at the cockpit.

duesenberg-model-sj-town-car-109908183-1

Edited by dw1603

• 3 weeks later...

This car is the Duesenberg SJN with coachwork by Bohmann & Schwartz of Pasadena CA, styled by J. Herbert Newport (who designed most of the SJN Duesenbergs circa 1935-36), for Mrs. Ethel V. Mars, founder and matriarch of Mars Candy Company.

Ethel Mars was known for her flamboyance--this car was originally painted in a brilliant metallic silver, and she outfitted her chauffeur with a metailic silver uniform and cap to go with the color of the car.

After the Mars family sold the car, a subsequent owner had it repainted in a very gawdy "Lipstick Red", and then the car was sold to an enthusiast who thought that as a formal, town car, it would look more appropriate in black, which is the color it is currently.

The mid-1930's being the heyday of "streamlining", Newport styled this distinctive grille shell, which lays over the standard Duesemberg chrome plated radiator shiell--the thermostatic shutters clearly visible if one sees the car up close from the front. Those "camel hump" shaped spare tire covers were a feature of at least a couple more SJN's, most notably the "Father Devine" town car, a gargantuan ride--on a 153" J chassis that was stretched out to a 187" wheelbase.

Art